natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

This is a rather specific question, sorry if it doesn't fit here.

Let me fix the context for a minute : as a student, I don't own a TV but I own a PC 24" HDMI monitor that I use with my computer. I use the Switch with this monitor, along with my PC's speakers to have a proper sound.

Being tired of unplugging the PC HDMI to plug the Switch (and reverse), I bought an HDMI switch/multiplexer, with a tiny remote control. It has an automated detection feature which automatically turns on whichever input gets powered on (when I turn my PC on, it switches to the PC input, when I wake my Switch up it switches to the Switch input).

The problem is that when both the PC and Switch are on and I put the Switch to sleep : it doesn't seem to shut its HDMI signal right away. Instead of shutting it down (and therefore switching to the PC input), it "flickers", enabling and disabling the signal over a tiny period of time. It switches 4-5 times during almost a minute. It causes the switch to constantly switch between the PC and Switch input.

This is a problem because it causes my PC to go crazy batshit and breaks everything. I guess it doesn't like to have one of its monitors being plugged in and out so fast. I have to log out and in of Windows to restore it...

Do you have a solution for this ? I already disabled the option in the Switch to sync it with the TV, with no luck... The goal would be to be on the PC, play Zelda for a while and return to the PC without having to shut it down or restart it because it didn't like the HDMI shitfest.

edit : issue linked to these posts : link link link

Last edited by natinusala,
Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Create a ticket with Nintendo so they are aware of the problem, maybe they will issue a firmware fix. In the mean time is it an option for you to get an HDMI selector that you have to manually change over instead of the auto function? Do you know anyone else with one you can test, maybe it's the HDMI switch that's malfunctioning or twitchy.

Which model HDMI switch did you purchase?

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't used one of those but have looked at them online before. If it has an auto-sensing feature why does it have a remote?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I haven't used one of those but have looked at them online before. If it has an auto-sensing feature why does it have a remote?
So, you can switch back and forth. I used to use one monitor for my pc and Xbox. A remote would have been helpful.

natinusala

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Create a ticket with Nintendo so they are aware of the problem, maybe they will issue a firmware fix. In the mean time is it an option for you to get an HDMI selector that you have to manually change over instead of the auto function? Do you know anyone else with one you can test, maybe it's the HDMI switch that's malfunctioning or twitchy.

Which model HDMI switch did you purchase?

I actually don't know if it comes from the Nintendo Switch or the HDMI switch... I suppose it's the Switch's HDMI signal, because nobody seems to have the same issue when I look at the HDMI switch reviews. It's a Power HD/HD Elite switch. l'll see with Nintendo then, thanks.

edit : looks like it's an older revision of this product. I bought it for 7€ so I guess it doesn't have the TurboHD processor thing.

then what is the autonsensing feature for?

I turn on my PC, it switches to its input. I play WoW for a bit, and then I decide to play BotW. I turn the Switch on, without shutting down the PC. It automatically switches to the Switch input. Now both inputs are on, so the autosense will not do anything. If I want to switch back to the PC without putting the Switch to sleep I can use the remote control :)

Reactions: thorasgar

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On going problem.
My tv doesn something like this. It has a pop up for the input.

Only way around this is to full power off the switch.

There is an opition for tv wake. You can turn that off. But it might not have any effect.

So on your hdmi switcher if you can turn off auto detect

TeconMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also have an auto-switching HDMI Switch, the problem you describe happened to me once. I reset the Switch (holding down the power until you get the full power menu) and it hasn't happened again since. Not sure if this has anything to do with software running in standby.

natinusala

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So on your hdmi switcher if you can turn off auto detect

I can't unfortunately =/

I also have an auto-switching HDMI Switch, the problem you describe happened to me once. I reset the Switch (holding down the power until you get the full power menu) and it hasn't happened again since. Not sure if this has anything to do with software running in standby.

It mostly happens when I play in handheld and then dock it to charge it. It obviously turns it on (what a stupid idea btw) and forces the HDMI to switch to its input. I then put the console to sleep since I want to use the PC and the shitfest begins.

edit : I just tested ; if the console is in sleep mode when docked, it will just power the HDMI on and off once. When it's shutted down and docked it will actually turn on and I have to put it to sleep using the power button. This leads me to think that it comes from the console which sends unnecessary HDMI signals.

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't unfortunately =/

It mostly happens when I play in handheld and then dock it to charge it. It obviously turns it on (what a stupid idea btw) and forces the HDMI to switch to its input. I then put the console to sleep since I want to use the PC and the shitfest begins.

edit : I just tested ; if the console is in sleep mode when docked, it will just power the HDMI on and off once. When it's shutted down and docked it will actually turn on and I have to put it to sleep using the power button

Weird, I have that match tv power option thing turned off, and when I dock my switch (awake) it switches my tv input to the console, but if the switch console is asleep when I dock it, the tv does not switch it's input.

natinusala

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The HDMI switch definitely receives a signal since the monitor flickers when I put the console to sleep then dock it, when using the PC. It may still be a bad autosense design from the HDMI switch manufacturers.

edit : some people are experiencing this problem (or a variant of it) on their TV, as you can see on this thread on a french forum. it definitly comes from the Switch or its dock. When having the Switch docked and using another input (such as a PS4), the Switch randomly sends HDMI signals, causing the TV to switch temporarly (to a black screen).

edit2 : same problem here and here

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The HDMI switch definitely receives a signal since the monitor flickers when I put the console to sleep then dock it, when using the PC. It may still be a bad autosense design from the HDMI switch manufacturers.

edit : some people are experiencing this problem (or a variant of it) on their TV, as you can see on this thread on a french forum. it definitly comes from the Switch or its dock. When having the Switch docked and using another input (such as a PS4), the Switch randomly sends HDMI signals, causing the TV to switch temporarly (to a black screen).

Ooops, I meant to say I have the match tv power option turned on.

natinusala

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'll try to turn it on to see if it fixes it. Look at the links I added in my above post, there are actually a lot of people with this issue. It may come from a faulty cable they say, I unfortunately don't have another HDMI cable to test =/

edit : here, someone said this :

DO NOT GET ANYTHING THAT HAS AUTO SOURCE FOR NINTENDO SWITCH

All my hdmi switches have auto source and the nintendo switch 'calls' for power/ hdmi switch attention every 10 minutes, causing the screen to go black momentarily as my switches will automatically move over to the nintendo signal, see nothing's there and switch back, even when the ninswitch is off/suspended. The way the switch works REQUIRES the dock's hdmi signal to always be active, even when you don't want it to be. So, again, YOU DO NOT WANT AUTO SOURCE.

MAKE SURE you get a manual hdmi switch ONLY.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea said all that.

I hope it can be fix in a firmware update.
Mines isnt tp bad, the tv just has a box at the bottom that pops up and goes away.
Sometime it will hang for 1sec.
But i know other tvs will switch to that input.

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yea said all that.

I hope it can be fix in a firmware update.
Mines isnt tp bad, the tv just has a box at the bottom that pops up and goes away.
Sometime it will hang for 1sec.
But i know other tvs will switch to that input.

Is it the switches fault though? My tv doesn't change input until I press the home button and wake my switch.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it the switches fault though? My tv doesn't change input until I press the home button and wake my switch.
Nothing else does this.
If i power on my ps4 or media box or anything.
The tv will have a grey pop up that turns to pink last about 3 sec. I can click it to switch to that input.

Now if the nintendo switch is sleep and iwake it up via the joycon. It works as normal. Grey box on tv then turns pink.

If the switch is in sleep mode. I will randomly get a grey box for a sec.
Does this a few times through out the day. No set time or when it does it or how far apart.

Last night we watch a movie and it happen 2 times in the middle of the movie about 3mins apart.
Today i saw it once on about a 4hr time

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My monitor will automatically switch to the first input when turned on, but ignores everything else until the initial input is turned off. So I just hit the power button on my PC (which puts it to sleep), launch my console), and then if I want to wake my computer to use it on the other two monitors i can if i want to.

natinusala

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think I'll wait for Nintendo to fix this issue. If it takes too long I'll buy a non-automatic HDMI switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)