PS1/2 Swap Disc Questions

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking to buy one of the redesigned ps2 units and swap magic. I was just curious in addition to the actual swap magic disc what the other tool is that works in coordination with it. I'm looking at the swap magic website now and it lists these options:

1. Slide Tool - for SCPH-1000X, SCPH-3000X , SCPH-5000X )
2a. Flip Top Cover - for SCPH-1000X, SCHP-3000X, SCPH-5000X )
2b. Flip Top Cover Slim - for SCPH-7000X , SCPH-900X )
3. Magic Switch Pro - for SCPH-7000 , SCPH-9000X )

Also heres the link to the console i'm looking at incase any clarification is needed on which model i'm talking about:

http://www.ebgames.com/ps2/consoles/playst...-redesign/36612

Thanks.

rubyloving

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slim PS2s are Model SCPH-9000

Looks like you can go for the Fliptop for slim or the magic switch pro.

Also look at the solderless modchips (or solder modchips if you know how to). It is worth it if you do not have to swap discs every time you play

rubyloving

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CCNaru said:
older slim models are 70kx's, actually. not all are 90s

so all you'd need is a fliptop slim w/ the SM discs.

Older ones are, But he said he was looking to buy a new one.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot for the help. Will I need to buy dvd-r's? Or can I use my DVD+r's? Also with the magic switch pro does this involve opening the unit at all? I'm just wondering how installation would work.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
for spch-9xxxx, you only need to tape ONE piece of plastic to your disc drive with magic switch pro
wink.gif
you keep it on to run PS2 backups, and remove it at certain times to run PS1 backups. This is gonna be a preffered method if you're buying a brand new PS2 as it won't void your warranty like a flip top would.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
for spch-9xxxx, you only need to tape ONE piece of plastic to your disc drive with magic switch pro
wink.gif
you keep it on to run PS2 backups, and remove it at certain times to run PS1 backups. This is gonna be a preffered method if you're buying a brand new PS2 as it won't void your warranty like a flip top would.

Hmmmmm. Is there any video online, ala youtube, or directions on how this would work? I'm curious to see how this whole process works.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prior22 said:
Thanks a lot for the help. Will I need to buy dvd-r's? Or can I use my DVD+r's? Also with the magic switch pro does this involve opening the unit at all? I'm just wondering how installation would work.

my dvd+r's never worked on any softmod or my modchip, infact i can't say i have heard many success stories with +r. i would stick to verb dvd-r's
smile.gif

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
wink.gif

There's one piece that sticks down over the sensor, but there's a 2nd piece for the 90000 you're supposed to stick in as well to stop the disc brake. Still very easy and no need to open anything up.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbgtbg said:
personuser said:
wink.gif

There's one piece that sticks down over the sensor, but there's a 2nd piece for the 90000 you're supposed to stick in as well to stop the disc brake. Still very easy and no need to open anything up.

These plastic pieces, do they come with the magic switch pro, or are they a separate purchase? By the way I'm looking to buy this package:

http://www.keepgaming.com/swmav32pland.html

Would this contain everything I would need for the slim remodel?

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MFDC12 said:
my dvd+r's never worked on any softmod or my modchip, infact i can't say i have heard many success stories with +r. i would stick to verb dvd-r's
smile.gif

I normally use DVD+R (booktype to DVD-ROM) for PS2 backups. Never had a problem, although I normally used a chip to run backup. But I did try FMB before and used +R too. I didn't really have any problem with any media I stuck in there actually.

Verbs and TY/JVC are very good disc.

QUOTE(Prior22 @ Apr 14 2011, 01:56 PM) These plastic pieces, do they come with the magic switch pro, or are they a separate purchase? By the way I'm looking to buy this package:

http://www.keepgaming.com/swmav32pland.html

Would this contain everything I would need for the slim remodel?

That will include everything needed. Although, all this magic switch do is to hold down switches telling the PS2 that the disc cover is closed. The newest slim (if you were to buy new) only has one switch and can be easily held down with some tape and paper. There is also a disc stop which can be easily taped down.

Recorderdude

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tbgtbg said:
personuser said:
wink.gif

I use my modded 90001 with only one sensor mod, but maybe it's different for other 9000Xs.

I use mainly verbs and memorexs for mine; mem for the simple games, verb for the complex games with lots of cutscenes, like RPGs. Of course, that's just because dad buys mems already. If given the choice between the two, always get verbs.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just did some quick research and found out swap magic is only good for ps2 games. Something called breaker pro is for psx games. Does breaker pro work for the slim redesigned units?

Recorderdude

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Prior22 said:
Just did some quick research and found out swap magic is only good for ps2 games. Something called breaker pro is for psx games. Does breaker pro work for the slim redesigned units?

Using a PS1 original disc and a program called "Ulaunchelf", you can load PS1 games with swap magic.

I've written a handy guide for it:

QUOTEHi, everyone! I've been using this method for a while, but I don;t know if everybody's heard of it, so here-a we go!

I can only confirm that this works on SPCH-9000x "super slim" PS2 models. Many other models perform an extra AP check after the PS1 boot screen, 9000x does not.

Things you will need:

Swap Magic 3.6 or 3.8 (I recommend the DVD version as the CD version will stop working after a while on a 9000x)
Magic Switch Pro v4 (probably already installed, have tool a in a position in which you can remove and insert it at will)
A usb drive (used to start Ulaunchelf)
Ulaunchelf - http://psx-scene.com/forums/attachment.php...mp;d=1276376381
A real PS1 game that has a big TOC (table of contents) I suggest a Final Fantasy or A Demo Disc.
A burned PS1 game. I suggest using IMGburn and writing at 8x, which 9000xs can EASILY handle.
Instructions:

Setup

1. Download ulaunchelf, and copy all of the folder's contents into a folder on the root of your usb drive (yes, it's case sensitive) SWAPMAGIC.
2. rename BOOT.elf (Ule's default name) to SWAPMAGIC.elf.
3. Remove your USB stick from your PC and insert it into the ps2
4. Insert your swapmagic DVD into the PS2

Process

1. Start your ps2 and then Swap Magic. With your USB drive in it, Swap Magic should automatically load Ulaunchelf.
2. Once Ulaunchelf is loaded it will give you a few options. Hit select to configure it and turn disc control ON.
3. Exit the configuration menu and your configuration will be saved. On the main screen you will see "STOP DISC=PS2 DVD"
4. Remove your swap magic disc and insert your large PS1 original game. Keep the disc cover open.
5. (here's the first tricky part) Your tool A is most likely taped into your PS2. Lift the tape (and mod) and put it back in. Then close the lid. Your PS2 should make some noises and the disc will start and then stop spinning. "STOP DISC=PSX CD or PSX CDDA" based on if you put in a demo disc (CDDA) or normal game (CD).
6. Now, open the lid, remove your PS1 original disc and insert your copy WITHOUT lifting the sensor mod. Now it will not do anything. THIS IS GOOD. Close the lid.
7. Hit O to go to the filebrowser (this is the default). You should see a lot of devices like CDFS (CD or DVD) MC0, MC1 (Memory Cards) and MASS (USB Drive) Go to the last device, MISC, and hit O. There will be a few commands to choose from. Select PS2DISC (yes, PS2DISC and hit O once more.

wait a few secs...

..and there's our friend the PS1 logo. From here you're in the clear, you can play the backup as if it were an original. The only games that will not work are the ones that Sony lists as incompatible (like tomba) or games that require switching CDs (like Vib-Ribbon)

You can eventually configure PS2disc to a button for quick ps1 launching, but doing this works well too. Also, you may be replacing the tape on your Tool A from time-to time with inserting and removing, that's normal.

Enjoy the ps1 games! If you've got any issues starting them then reply and I'll try to help ya out.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
I use my modded 90001 with only one sensor mod, but maybe it's different for other 9000Xs.

I use mainly verbs and memorexs for mine; mem for the simple games, verb for the complex games with lots of cutscenes, like RPGs. Of course, that's just because dad buys mems already. If given the choice between the two, always get verbs.
Magic_Switch_Overall.jpg

9000x's at least the one's I see have sensor A, and the disk stop B, but does not have a C sensor.

Verbatim and JVC Taiyo Yuden disc produces the best single layer dvd. Memorex and other brands you tend to get either good or bad disc as they come from different manufactures and what not. Sony DVD's however are usually decent.

QUOTE(Prior22 @ Apr 14 2011, 06:44 PM) Just did some quick research and found out swap magic is only good for ps2 games. Something called breaker pro is for psx games. Does breaker pro work for the slim redesigned units?

I believe it does on the 9000x models. I know it does for older slim models. This method also works. However the PS1 game does not stop spinning during the swap, stopping a motor by force is probably bad for it.

Start up PS2; Go browse the disc/memory card screen; Insert a original PS1 game; Activate sensors; When it recognizes a PS1 game swap the disc with a burned one; Launch game.

Recorderdude

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wtfisausername said:
personuser said:

Magic_Switch_Overall.jpg

9000x's at least the one's I see have sensor A, and the disk stop B, but does not have a C sensor.

Verbatim and JVC Taiyo Yuden disc produces the best single layer dvd. Memorex and other brands you tend to get either good or bad disc as they come from different manufactures and what not. Sony DVD's however are usually decent.

QUOTE(Prior22 @ Apr 14 2011, 06:44 PM) Just did some quick research and found out swap magic is only good for ps2 games. Something called breaker pro is for psx games. Does breaker pro work for the slim redesigned units?

I believe it does on the 9000x models. I know it does for older slim models. This method also works. However the PS1 game does not stop spinning during the swap, stopping a motor by force is probably bad for it.

Start up PS2; Go browse the disc/memory card screen; Insert a original PS1 game; Activate sensors; When it recognizes a PS1 game swap the disc with a burned one; Launch game.

I only ever needed to mod at A. Mine is different from the one in that pic too.

For my method, the PSX games DO stop spinning during the swap, and because of that it is the safest and cheapest (breaker pro does cost money).

That disc/MC screen one DOES spin the disc while swapping, therefore it can damage your motor and/or discs. Plus IIRC they patched it on later models.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
I only ever needed to mod at A. Mine is different from the one in that pic too.

For my method, the PSX games DO stop spinning during the swap, and because of that it is the safest and cheapest (breaker pro does cost money).

That disc/MC screen one DOES spin the disc while swapping, therefore it can damage your motor and/or discs. Plus IIRC they patched it on later models.
That picture is of a older PS2 slim but the disc tray area still remain similar for mine.

Agree, I was just stating another method for PS1 backup and have stated it keeps spinning and can be bad for motor.
Your tutorial looks good and its good to know a safer way of playing these backups

I thought the Disc/MC browser was patched too, but I have just tested it on this 9000x that was purchased last month. I did chip it though but disabled it before testing and confirmed it was disabled... but i donno.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright well I've done EVEN MORE research and found out about the USB extreme. Here's the link of the product I'm looking at:

http://www.modchip.ca/store/product.php?pr...=269&page=1

Does anyone know how the process works for having the game file transferred to the USB drive? Also is something like this available for psone games? Honestly I'd love to play both psone and pstwo games off usb if possible.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prior22 said:
Alright well I've done EVEN MORE research and found out about the USB extreme. Here's the link of the product I'm looking at:

http://www.modchip.ca/store/product.php?pr...=269&page=1

Does anyone know how the process works for having the game file transferred to the USB drive? Also is something like this available for psone games? Honestly I'd love to play both psone and pstwo games off usb if possible.

You can launch this program with swap magic. It is outdated, bad compatibility. PS2 USB ports are 1.0, in other words it is slow. Open PS2 loader is a newer alternative that can load ISO via USB/network and ... honestly I don't know much about it. Maybe someone with experience can chime in.

There is no PS1 support on USB as far as I know. The best way to run games off a hard drive would be getting a older Fat type of PS2 a network adapter, and a compatible IDE Hard drive. If you can get FMB on your memory card older PS2 systems can use this exploit to run backups, hdd related, emulation and what not without having to swap disc. Do be aware of old laser issues if buying a Fat PS2. Slims before 9000x can run FMB also. Then again you could get a chipped console.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright well I guess the USB transfer method is out of the question then. But getting back to breaker pro I found this quote on another forum:

"It features a 'slide tool,' which is about the least healthy thing I can think to do to a ps2 besides dropping it.

I believe that product also works on PS1 systems (just as devices like the action replay did), and that would be a much safer use of it. "

I'm not much of a technical expert but is this really the case? Honestly most of the games I want to play are for psone, not ps2. So if breaker pro wouldn't cause damage or stress to the psone in terms of the motor I might just buy a used psone and a breaker pro. Is the compatibility of breaker pro with the psone game library pretty solid?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Here we go +2