Hacking SuperCard DSTWO+ Questions

JSherman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've tried to do as much digging/research as I could before asking here, but haven't been able to find a solid/direct answer. However, apologies if these questions have in fact already been answered.

I have a supercard DSTWO+ coming in the mail right now for my n3ds. Yes, I understand and am aware there are better cards out there so there's no need to go into any detail on that. I solely got this for the GBA capabilities (I have an R4 right now and if the GBA goes well I'm hoping the DSTWO+ will replace it, but if not no harm no foul).

Questions:

1) Out of the box, on latest super card EOS firmware (v 1.14) will I be able to run it with the latest 3ds firmware (11.9)?

Or do I need to do that trick I've seen were you use a DS Lite/older DS to first update the cards firmware prior to using it on the 3ds?

2) (This one might be self explanatory but I still want to clarify) For personal preference, I do not want Gateway or any 3ds rom emulator running on the DSTWO+. If I only put the EOS and omit the Gateway Plugin from the SD card will I be okay? And are there any Gateway files within the EOS that I should be aware of?

3) Is there anything specific for SD card formatting I should be aware of other than format to Fat32?

4) In the GBA emulator 'NDSGBA' there is a 'gamespak' folder. Can I put straight .gba roms in there to run or do I have to put the zip file in there (I saw someone say that in a video so it was unclear)?

Those are really the only specific questions I have right now, I'm sure I'll have more to figure out once I mess with it after it arrives in the mail

Thanks for any help you'll be able to give, cheers.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Out of the box, on latest super card EOS firmware (v 1.14) will I be able to run it with the latest 3ds firmware (11.9)?
yes

2) (This one might be self explanatory but I still want to clarify) For personal preference, I do not want Gateway or any 3ds rom emulator running on the DSTWO+. If I only put the EOS and omit the Gateway Plugin from the SD card will I be okay? And are there any Gateway files within the EOS that I should be aware of?
it should come with a gateway plugin installed if you got it from a website that sets flashcards up (or test's them) otherwise you are correct

3) Is there anything specific for SD card formatting I should be aware of other than format to Fat32?
32 is also the recommended cluster size

4) In the GBA emulator 'NDSGBA' there is a 'gamespak' folder. Can I put straight .gba roms in there to run or do I have to put the zip file in there (I saw someone say that in a video so it was unclear)?
.gba format

now i have a question for you . . . where did you buy this card ? ... i would like to know for my collection

Reactions: JSherman

JSherman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes

it should come with a gateway plugin installed if you got it from a website that sets flashcards up (or test's them) otherwise you are correct

32 is also the recommended cluster size

.gba format

now i have a question for you . . . where did you buy this card ? ... i would like to know for my collection

Wonderful, thank you!

Snagged on from r43ds.org. Read around that it was a fairly trustworthy site, but slow shipping updates. Mine shipped within four days of ordering so hopefully it'll come soon, but we'll see.

Reactions: wormdood

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonderful, thank you!

Snagged on from r43ds.org. Read around that it was a fairly trustworthy site, but slow shipping updates. Mine shipped within four days of ordering so hopefully it'll come soon, but we'll see.
i should also mention that firmware maybe hard to find their support site(/forum site) was hacked and never restored . . . i sincerely wish you good luck at getting it set up

JSherman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i should also mention that firmware maybe hard to find their support site(/forum site) was hacked and never restored . . . i sincerely wish you good luck at getting it set up

Interesting. What I assumed was their main site looked to have a version uploaded (eng.supercard.sc) but I wouldn't know if it's "hacked" or not...

GBATemp also looks to have an archived version of the firmware uploaded:
(https://gbatemp.net/download/supercard-dstwo-plus-eos.33876/)

Hopefully thats okay to use too.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. What I assumed was their main site looked to have a version uploaded (eng.supercard.sc) but I wouldn't know if it's "hacked" or not...
thats just the main page if you needed support (or a file not on the main page . . . like the later devolved freegame plugin that allowed 3ds mode functionality without gateway mode) then you are out of luck

you can see for yourself just click the forum option in the dropdown menu on the top right
GBATemp also looks to have an archived version of the firmware uploaded:
(https://gbatemp.net/download/supercard-dstwo-plus-eos.33876/)

Hopefully thats okay to use too.
yeah thats fine

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've tried to do as much digging/research as I could before asking here, but haven't been able to find a solid/direct answer. However, apologies if these questions have in fact already been answered.

I have a supercard DSTWO+ coming in the mail right now for my n3ds. Yes, I understand and am aware there are better cards out there so there's no need to go into any detail on that. I solely got this for the GBA capabilities (I have an R4 right now and if the GBA goes well I'm hoping the DSTWO+ will replace it, but if not no harm no foul).

Questions:

Or do I need to do that trick I've seen were you use a DS Lite/older DS to first update the cards firmware prior to using it on the 3ds?

Those are really the only specific questions I have right now, I'm sure I'll have more to figure out once I mess with it after it arrives in the mail

Thanks for any help you'll be able to give, cheers.
I have one of the original DSTWO+ models (the ones without 3DS ROM loading). It lacks compatibility with a good chunk of 3DS homebrew, mostly due to the card not being widely used because of its cost. But if all you want is emulators and regular DS games, then it's probably the best flashcart you can get because of the extra features. I will ask... Since you're playing this on 3DS anyway, why are you using the DSTWO's GBA emulator? It's strong, yeah, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 3DS' native GBA compatibility.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one of the original DSTWO+ models (the ones without 3DS ROM loading). It lacks compatibility with a good chunk of 3DS homebrew, mostly due to the card not being widely used because of its cost. But if all you want is emulators and regular DS games, then it's probably the best flashcart you can get because of the extra features. I will ask... Since you're playing this on 3DS anyway, why are you using the DSTWO's GBA emulator? It's strong, yeah, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 3DS' native GBA compatibility.
excellent point, with a 3ds, cfw will give you far better gba support than any flashcard

Reactions: Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
excellent point, with a 3ds, cfw will give you far better gba support than any flashcard
Plus, any GBA emulator running on the 3DS itself would also certainly be stronger. But I'm a big advocate for the native GBA mode on the system. Most people don't even know it can play GBA games, much less that you can install just about any one you want and even have simple cheats working.

JSherman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Plus, any GBA emulator running on the 3DS itself would also certainly be stronger. But I'm a big advocate for the native GBA mode on the system. Most people don't even know it can play GBA games, much less that you can install just about any one you want and even have simple cheats working.

I'd overall just prefer not to to use cfw or any kind of homebrew instal stuff on my 3DS directly. It's personal preference really, I get a little paranoid that something will happen that might brick or mess up my 3DS overall (while I'm sure I have nothing to really worry about).

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd overall just prefer not to to use cfw or any kind of homebrew instal stuff on my 3DS directly. It's personal preference really, I get a little paranoid that something will happen that might brick or mess up my 3DS overall (while I'm sure I have nothing to really worry about).
Yeah, pretty much anyone who can read and follow directions don't have much to worry about when it comes to installing CFW. But there's nothing wrong with wanting to keep it stock, it just limits your options. I guess a DSTWO+ is a decent workaround. Just don't expect perfect emulation in some games. :yaynds:

JSherman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did think of two more questions if anyone is able to answer..

1) SNES emulator, from what I've seen Starfox 1 and 2 are pretty much unplayable due to the need for a Super FX. Has there been any emulator that has fixed this? All the posts I've found stop at 2014, nothing current.

2) Battery Life. I know for the DSTWO+ it's notorious for being bad. However I always shut my 3ds down and rarely use sleep mode so I'm not too concerned. But I was wondering HOW bad is it. If I'm playing a dowloaded 3ds game with the DSTWO in my system will it knock off an hour (or more?) from my normal battery life?

Thanks!

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2) Battery Life. I know for the DSTWO+ it's notorious for being bad. However I always shut my 3ds down and rarely use sleep mode so I'm not too concerned. But I was wondering HOW bad is it.
that wont help (due to its onboard cpu) if you want it to not drain battery life you must remove it from the console
If I'm playing a dowloaded 3ds game with the DSTWO in my system will it knock off an hour (or more?) from my normal battery life?
all in all it depends it obviousally uses less when its not on but when running you can expect 25-30% power drain on a full charge
1) SNES emulator, from what I've seen Starfox 1 and 2 are pretty much unplayable due to the need for a Super FX. Has there been any emulator that has fixed this? All the posts I've found stop at 2014, nothing current.
yes there are emulators that can emulate the required chip as well but they are emulators for the 3ds (in other words you need cfw to play snes games requiring special chipsets)

JSherman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that wont help (due to its onboard cpu) if you want it to not drain battery life you must remove it from the console

Woah, even if the system is completely shut off the DSTWO's cpu is running and will drain battery? I was under the impression from what people were saying it was only when in sleep mode and when the 3ds is turned on/in use is when the DSTWO's cpu runs.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woah, even if the system is completely shut off the DSTWO's cpu is running and will drain battery? I was under the impression from what people were saying it was only when in sleep mode and when the 3ds is turned on/in use is when the DSTWO's cpu runs.
oh my bad i thought you said if you put it to sleep mode . . . no if you power off you are good but if the console is on and its inserted it will drain the battery

JSherman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh my bad i thought you said if you put it to sleep mode . . . no if you power off you are good but if the console is on and its inserted it will drain the battery

OK - sweet, yeah I always shut mine off.

Appreciate the help as always!

JSherman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a PSA / Update of anyone thinking of ordering off of that site r43ds.org....

My order finally came in today and they sent me a Stargate 3DS instead of the Supercard DSTwo+.

I'm requesting them to replace this but I have a hunch they never had them to begin with knowing how hard it is to come by these and they're just sending "comparable products." So I might have to now try for a refund. Frustrating.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a PSA / Update of anyone thinking of ordering off of that site r43ds.org....

My order finally came in today and they sent me a Stargate 3DS instead of the Supercard DSTwo+.

I'm requesting them to replace this but I have a hunch they never had them to begin with knowing how hard it is to come by these and they're just sending "comparable products." So I might have to now try for a refund. Frustrating.
Sorry to hear that :(. Hopefully you can get your money back, or they send you the right card. Either DSTWO product should be just fine for what you want, though I've only owned the older 3-in-1.

JSherman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Follow up questions for anyone able to answer.

1) Does the regular DSTWO (2in1) still work on the latest n3ds firmware?

2) Will the latest EOS and firmware on the DSTWO main site work with the latest n3ds firmware? (eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/download.htm)

3) Is there any major difference performance/stability wise between the DSTWO and Plus or is it just the added features from 2in1 to 4in1?

Thanks!

Eyes

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
did you end up getting a refund or a new card sent? considering on purchasing one from the same site

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)