SUpercard, and patching.

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by RileyVace, Jun 26, 2009.

Jun 26, 2009

SUpercard, and patching. by RileyVace at 10:40 AM (1,261 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. RileyVace
    OP

Newcomer RileyVace Member

United Kingdom
    Okay I don't know if anyone else uses a Supercard, but it splits a rom into 2 files, nds.dsq and nds.sav (I'm not sure if Cyclo or R4 does this too)
    Now, say someone's working on a nice translation and I waned to patch said game, would I still be able use my save file?

To explain better, say I've played through KH- 358/2 Days, and I've completed it. Someone releases a translation patch, can i patch it to the nds.dsq file or will i have to patch the original rom and split it again?)

Thanks if you shed some light on this for me!

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The Supercard patcher doesn't "split" anything. It merely patches the rom, adding a .dsq extension so that the firmware knows what to do with it. The .sav file is nothing but empty data until you save in-game.

If someone releases a translation patch, you would find your original *.nds file, apply the patch, then run it through the Supercard patcher. Use the *.dsq file it creates, plus your current *.sav file. You can delete the *.sav file the patcher creates if you want.

3. RileyVace
    OP

Newcomer RileyVace Member

United Kingdom
    I see, thanks for the info.
    I'll be sure to try this. I'll back everything up first so I don't lose my progress haha!

Please close this, Mods.

4. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It really depends on the game and how the translators handle saving the modified data... A lot of translations won't work with original japanese saves because they have to expand out portions of the save and restructure it (An example would be to expand out character names, most japanese games only use 5-6 characters for names, where english games often have 10+ characters per name meaning that extra room has to be made for the names)

It'd be best to ask whoever is doing the translation if an original japanese save will work correctly on it.

5. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    You should've stated in your post that you're using a Slot-2 SuperCard.

If you are using a Slot-1 SuperCard, you can't use the patcher.