Goetia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Ultimate "modern" SNES console?

Super NT has no match to recreate SNES. But the Wii U delivers a solid experience and gamepad potential is huge.

analogue-super-nt.jpg
e75e0b8dd3c1787b3d2327c1af37cfad--super-nintendo-nintendo-wii.jpg

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That looks fugly with a capital FUGLY!

Wii u all the way in this debate. And not vc either although it is okay, wii version SNES9X and its various forks RX and TX for example will give you much better performance and compatibility for extra peripherals (super fx, superscope, mario paint etc) and also the advantages of the wii mode overclock feature is a deal clincher. :yayu:

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I'd go for the Super NT - if you are happy to spend the $.
I don't think the hack for it allows you to play ALL roms (as in, ones with special chips etc)
If you want to play real carts (or have one of the good flashcarts that can play special chip games), then even better.

If you already have a wii u (or wii) then sure, you can use that instead. Try it out first, and see if you're happy with it.

wii version ... will give you much better performance
I'm not sure that's true! Analogue's devices, whilst not 100.00% perfect accuracy, the performance is better than anything else out there.

Last edited by cearp,
Reactions: Hanafuda and Y0shII

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have and want to play real carts, Super NT all the way.

IF you already have the Wii U, and you're not interested in physical carts, why not use it?

However if you want to go software emulation, I'd use a basic computer with SNES9X instead. More flexible than a Wii U and you don't have to softmod it to get it to run. You can also run SNES 9X pretty much full speed on anything released in the last decade or so.

But of the two, it just really depends on your use case; again, Physical carts? Super NT all the way, but if you're just running ROMs then then save some money (or if you already have the Wii U) and use it.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you even buy those Super NT anymore? I thought they either sold out or discontinued. They are expensive as hell. Almost as much as those arcade 1 up machines. :blink:

Wii u would do just fine. Though using VC (Virtual console) for snes games is a option, a better one is using the homebrew emulators. If you don't want to use retroarch, you can use the vWII to play the snes9x emulator. It's updated and works just as good as the pc version, since it's using the most updated version, even with msu-1 featured.

If you do have that super NT, you need cartridges, though I suppose a flash cart can work. Or you know, they have "Jailbreak" for it and can use roms like any snes emulator. I suppose the actual difference here is that you can use a actual authentic snes controller with the Super NT.

I would just use the wii u. Snes9xGX emulation is just as good as super NT. Also if for some of those extra peripherals like the super scope, I don't know how it would work on super nt. Least on wii u, you have a wii mote to emulate it if you wanted to play such things.

Reactions: Y0shII and Flame

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Can you even buy those Super NT anymore? I thought they either sold out or discontinued. They are expensive as hell. Almost as much as those arcade 1 up machines. :blink:

Wii u would do just fine. Though using VC (Virtual console) for snes games is a option, a better one is using the homebrew emulators. If you don't want to use retroarch, you can use the vWII to play the snes9x emulator. It's updated and works just as good as the pc version, since it's using the most updated version, even with msu-1 featured.

If you do have that super NT, you need cartridges, though I suppose a flash cart can work. Or you know, they have "Jailbreak" for it and can use roms like any snes emulator. I suppose the actual difference here is that you can use a actual authentic snes controller with the Super NT.

I would just use the wii u. Snes9xGX emulation is just as good as super NT. Also if for some of those extra peripherals like the super scope, I don't know how it would work on super nt. Least on wii u, you have a wii mote to emulate it if you wanted to play such things.

brilliant post.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even consider their stock. It doesn't look like it's discontinued, but they're certainly sold out, and with Analogue's track record, they may as well be discontinued.

As far as super scope stuff, I did a bit of digging, and it looks like the super NT does support it, but you have to use this expensive DAC that they sell for another 75 bucks! I'm unsure of if any regular DAC would work either.
brilliant post.
Agreed; Couldn't of said it much better myself.

Essentially if you want physical carts, AND you can find it for a good price, the super NT is the way to go. other clone consoles really can't hold a flame to it. but if you're just trying to play games. Anything with an SNES emulator will do fine(for the most part. I've had issues with the SNES classic emulating certain games properly). I just recommend x86 PCs over any of the modded consoles because of the simplicity of getting the emulators installed and running.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Essentially if you want physical carts, AND you can find it for a good price, the super NT is the way to go. other clone consoles really can't hold a flame to it. but if you're just trying to play games. Anything with an SNES emulator will do fine(for the most part. I've had issues with the SNES classic emulating certain games properly). I just recommend x86 PCs over any of the modded consoles because of the simplicity of getting the emulators installed and running.
Do you still have the snes classic? Have you not heard of hackchi? You can use it to replace the stock emulator with retroarch, which has better emulators. That also means you can have access to other system emulators as well like gameboy. Should save you money if you still have it. :blink:

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you still have the snes classic? Have you not heard of hackchi? You can use it to replace the stock emulator with retroarch, which has better emulators. That also means you can have access to other system emulators as well like gameboy. Should save you money if you still have it. :blink:
Oh I have no plans on getting rid of it. It was a present and one of the very first shipments of it. I haven't tried anything like retroarch on it, just the stock emulator that ships with the SNES classic. That emulator screws up stuff like transparencies in Kirby's Dream Land 3. I'm sure Retroarch works wonders. I just haven't tried it because I don't really mess with the SNES classic all that much.

I've definitely tried Haxchi on it (mine has quite a few roms on it). I just haven't done anything with it in awhile.

I still may buy a super NT if they ever come back in stock because I have a really nice physical collection. Otherwise, I just use retroarch on my PC for day-to-day use. That's my SNES emulator of choice. (well any system really lol)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I have no plans on getting rid of it. It was a present and one of the very first shipments of it. I haven't tried anything like retroarch on it, just the stock emulator that ships with the SNES classic. That emulator screws up stuff like transparencies in Kirby's Dream Land 3. I'm sure Retroarch works wonders. I just haven't tried it because I don't really mess with the SNES classic all that much.
I see. It is optimal to use a pc for these kind of emulators. Some people just aren't "PC MASTER RACE" gamers, so I guess modding a console with emulators is a "Closer to home solution." Not to mention that they are dedicated gaming machines. Most people don't want to bog their pc down with such things. (Though a side pc I guess helps) :P

I still think that the Super NT is a bit expensive and I'm sure it has reasons to be. But I suppose only physical game collectors would care about something like that. If they have the money to buy those expensive old games, surely they can buy a expensive console to go with them. I'm not one of them.

I would rather use a flash cart at that point, and if that's the case, then just use a emulator. They have been just as good and accurate as a real official system by now. Not to mention the enhancements that came with them. Even if Super NT can display HD resolution for sharp pixels on a screen, it can't give us HD mode 7 or MSU-1 or widescreen games like BSNES :ninja:

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. It is optimal to use a pc for these kind of emulators. Some people just aren't "PC MASTER RACE" gamers, so I guess modding a console with emulators is a "Closer to home solution." Not to mention that they are dedicated gaming machines. Most people don't want to bog their pc down with such things. (Though a side pc I guess helps) :P

I still think that the Super NT is a bit expensive and I'm sure it has reasons to be. But I suppose only physical game collectors would care about something like that. If they have the money to buy those expensive old games, surely they can buy a expensive console to go with them. I'm not one of them.

I would rather use a flash cart at that point, and if that's the case, then just use a emulator. They have been just as good and accurate as a real official system by now. Not to mention the enhancements that came with them. Even if Super NT can display HD resolution for sharp pixels on a screen, it can't give us HD mode 7 or MSU-1 or widescreen games like BSNES :ninja:
That's fair. I understand the majority of people aren't PCMR. I think a PC is objectively better, however, I don't dog on the console market in any way. If that's how you like to game, then great! I just don't really think about people not installing games on their computers, but I wholeheartedly understand. While I don't consider it bogging it down, it does take up space, and I tend to keep games off of my laptops which I use for work. Its definitely less of a distraction.

I agree that the super NT is stupid expensive, but when it comes to physical carts, nothing really can beat it other than a modified SNES. Most if not all clone consoles other than the Super NT have too many flaws with the emulation, such as not being able to run anything with a coprocessor like the Super FX. I'm not in any rush to buy one though, because I can easily play my games on many things. If that's what the user wants, just to game, then of the two choices, I'd pick the Wii U because of how easily obtainable it can be, and I'm sure it runs the SNES emulation fine. it's so easy to hack nowadays, it makes sense.

FWIW I'm pretty sure that as long as the flash cart supports it, the super NT can use it, so that means that it can utilize the MSU-1. Essentially the way it was built, it should, in theory support anything that a regular SNES can support.

I'm not hating on emulation by any means. there's nothing wrong with it, and I think it's fine for playing a game. I'm just saying it really boils down to what kind of use-case you're wanting here. :D

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Also if for some of those extra peripherals like the super scope, I don't know how it would work on super nt. Least on wii u, you have a wii mote to emulate it if you wanted to play such things.
You can use real SNES controllers on a WiiU. The SNES Classic controller uses a Wii Remote plug, so you can just plug it into the bottom of a Wii Remote and use it like a Classic Controller.

The Super NT has actual SNES controller ports so that is how extra peripherals would work on there. You would just plug them in like you would a real SNES.

And while I do think most of you are severely underselling the quality and accuracy of the Super NT hardware emulator compared to Wii and WiiU software emulators, you are all correct on the price to accuracy ratio here. The WiiU is just fine for 99% of us here. Unless you're a world class top 3 speed runner in your game of choice going for world record, you won't even come close to noticing where the SNES9X forks and Retroarch fall short.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use real SNES controllers on a WiiU. The SNES Classic controller uses a Wii Remote plug, so you can just plug it into the bottom of a Wii Remote and use it like a Classic Controller.
What a weird thing for nintendo to do. But I guess that's cool. Though that controller is only sold with those snes mini consoles, so no way to buy one just for a wii mote. Least with the snes bluetooth controller that nintendo sold for the switch online subs was easier to obtain (If you got them before selling out) and is bluetooth so it's more versatile.

The Super NT has actual SNES controller ports so that is how extra peripherals would work on there. You would just plug them in like you would a real SNES.
I see that's the case, but stuff like those super scopes don't work on a HD TV from what I understand. You need a old crt for them, and I don't know if the console works on those. Unless crt has HDMI ports.

And while I do think most of you are severely underselling the quality and accuracy of the Super NT hardware emulator compared to Wii and WiiU software emulators, you are all correct on the price to accuracy ratio here. The WiiU is just fine for 99% of us here. Unless you're a world class top 3 speed runner in your game of choice going for world record, you won't even come close to noticing where the SNES9X forks and Retroarch fall short.
I'm fully aware of the capability of the super nt. The quality is nice and the accuracy is superb and of course only true enthusiast will care about how it compares to a genuine snes console from 1991. That's something not to be underestimated. But emulation has caught up to genuine consoles as well and maybe succeeded them. BSNES which is considered the most accurate console emulator is just as comparable with snes9x being possibly one step behind.

To put it simply, if Super NT is on Level 95, BSNES is on 94 and SNES9X is on 93. If a casual just wanted to play games without expensive cost, they wouldn't know the difference. But if a hardcore player wanted to use their collection of real snes cartridges, the super nt would be a great option to use on HDTV without expensive equipment like video upscalers, OSSC and what have you. That's only if you are a hardcore player and have a collection of games to play.

Honestly, there isn't any reason to undervalue the Super nt for what it is and can do. But a fact will always remain is the price. The more demand it becomes and less available it is, the more it will increase if you buying used. The differences in what you get with that console or using snes9x on wii u isn't much if you just wanted to play games. If you wanted to use your cartridges or need to do speedrun, then it might be worth it. But that's up to the individual to decide how much it's worth paying for and if it satisfy their needs. :P

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What a weird thing for nintendo to do. But I guess that's cool. Though that controller is only sold with those snes mini consoles, so no way to buy one just for a wii mote.
Hori do a wireless (dongle plugs into console, controller takes batteries) Fighting Commander for SNES Mini:
shopping

But it might not be good on Wii/U as IIRC I found it had some phantom inputs on buttons it doesn't have (e.g. the non-existent control sticks are not centred), so navigating menus that expect a Classic Controller may be hard.

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BSNES which is considered the most accurate console emulator is just as comparable with snes9x being possibly one step behind.
BSNES isn't available on WiiU, and the others are actually pretty far behind in accuracy. It's playability on weaker machines were emulators like SNES9X shine. Full speed emulation and cycle accurate emulation are not the same thing. But like I said, if you already have a WiiU and don't care about that accuracy there is no reason to spend the money on a Super NT.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm old enough and been into this stuff long enough that I've accumulated some good gear. So nowadays if I'm playing a game, it's always on original hardware. Famicom/NES, 64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Playstation, Saturn ... I use the real thing. Except for the Super NT. It's that good. And I have 3 Super Famicoms including an RGB modded SF Jr.

I'm hoping Analogue makes a new Famicom/NES box soon, built the same as the Super NT and Mega SG (instead of the much more $$ and unobtanium NT Mini).

Reactions: cearp

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You can't really compare them. Wii U is emulation, and there's no substitute for the experience of playing on hardware, with real controllers & cartridges.
If you're trying to recreate how it felt playing SNES as a kid, the Super Nt on a modern display, or an original SNES with RGB connected to a Framemeister/OSSC/RetroTink or a CRT is the only way to go.
If you never played SNES growing up or you're too young to have experienced it, you might not care and you might be happy with emulation.
That looks fugly with a capital FUGLY!

Wii u all the way in this debate. And not vc either although it is okay, wii version SNES9X and its various forks RX and TX for example will give you much better performance and compatibility for extra peripherals (super fx, superscope, mario paint etc) and also the advantages of the wii mode overclock feature is a deal clincher. :yayu:
That's because it's the USA design. PAL/Famicom design is better ;)

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: