GBAtemp 台灣人
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Team Meat has announced that they have cancelled the WiiWare release of Super Meat Boy, stating that they were unable to get a quality version of the title, a hit on both the PC and Xbox 360, under the 40MB size limit Nintendo has on its download service. The WiiWare release was already delayed from its original November release. Team Meat had mentioned it got the game to 50MB at that time, but the content removed by then had left the creators Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes unsatisfied with the quality of the title.

"It's mostly music," said McMillen, "We got it close to 40MB, but we only have five music tracks, one retro and one boss, and no cutscene music. ... The cut scenes might as well not be there, and if you beat the game, I'm sure you know the final cutscene needs a musical score, to have any impact at all." McMillen mentioned that Team Meat had assumed that Nintendo might allow them to submit the title 5 to 10MB above the limit, which obviously didn't happen. He was quick to note that Team Meat loved working with Nintendo.

The developer has been making pushes to getting the game published on disc, but so far responses from publishers has been negative. McMillen said that the three biggest publishers contacted so far said there was no money to be made from third-party games on the Wii. He assured, however, that Team Meat will develop a game on a Nintendo platform.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
Twitter

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
naglaro00 said:
WHAT THE HELL.

The music is one of the selling points of the game. Without it the game would be nowhere near as good as it would be with it.

It's not hard to understand why they decided just not to publish it on wiiware at all; the game doesn't deserve to have the meat stripped from it's bones.

edit: reading the article though, if publishers are saying that "theres no money in third party Wii games" why does so much shovelware keep getting released?

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Law said:
naglaro00 said:
WHAT THE HELL.

The music is one of the selling points of the game. Without it the game would be nowhere near as good as it would be with it.

It's not hard to understand why they decided just not to publish it on wiiware at all; the game doesn't deserve to have the meat stripped from it's bones.

edit: reading the article though, if publishers are saying that "theres no money in third party Wii games" why does so much shovelware keep getting released?
i c what u did thar
smileipb2.png

anyway, ill just wait for that game they're making

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
naglaro00 said:
WHAT THE HELL.

There's no money in good third-party games. Parents and relatives buy shitty shovelware for their kids because they see a picture of a pony or some other generic thing and assume their kid will love it. No grandmother strolls by and thinks "Oh, anthropomorphic meat, my grandson would love this game!" Unfortunately, Wii games pretty much have to be a huge franchise, aggressively marketed, or generic, or they'll just be a niche title.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to call bullshit on this.

..."unable to fit a quality version of the game under the size limit Nintendo imposes on titles for the download service."?

Make the graphics 8-bit, it'd still be a quality version, asshole. In fact, a lot of people would call that a superior version because of the style.

Zarkz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CarbonX13 said:
Team Meat has announced that they have cancelled the WiiWare release of Super Meat Boy, stating that they were unable to get a quality version of the title, a hit on both the PC and Xbox 360, under the 40MB size limit Nintendo has on its download service. The WiiWare release was already delayed from its original November release. Team Meat had mentioned it got the game to 50MB at that time, but the content removed by then had left the creators Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes unsatisfied with the quality of the title.

"It's mostly music," said McMillen, "We got it close to 40MB, but we only have five music tracks, one retro and one boss, and no cutscene music. ... The cut scenes might as well not be there, and if you beat the game, I'm sure you know the final cutscene needs a musical score, to have any impact at all." McMillen mentioned that Team Meat had assumed that Nintendo might allow them to submit the title 5 to 10MB above the limit, which obviously didn't happen. He was quick to note that Team Meat loved working with Nintendo.

The developer has been making pushes to getting the game published on disc, but so far responses from publishers has been negative. McMillen said that the three biggest publishers contacted so far said there was no money to be made from third-party games on the Wii. He assured, however, that Team Meat will develop a game on a Nintendo platform.[/p]
Possible DS/3DS Version?
HELL YEA!

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
naglaro00 said:
WHAT THE HELL.

For real. I've gone to dBSoundworks dozens of times just to listen to the music. It really is phenominal. But the "no money to be made" comment they made definitely threw me for a loop.
QUOTE(_Chaz_ @ Dec 23 2010, 11:00 PM)
I'd like to call bullshit on this.

..."unable to fit a quality version of the game under the size limit Nintendo imposes on titles for the download service."?

Make the graphics 8-bit, it'd still be a quality version, asshole. In fact, a lot of people would call that a superior version because of the style.
It already includes 8-bit graphics as part of the normal game. It would be detracting from those sections to make the entire thing 8-bit.

Yall shoulda dropped the $3.75 when it was ubercheap on Steam a few days ago.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that when you create something and you really pour hours and hours of time and your soul into something, things become more personal. Your creation almost becomes like your baby.

I think that Team Meat can be the only real judge of how Super Meat Boy should be presented, because they spent months constructing the game in the way and order they wanted all of you to experience it, it's their baby. If they personally feel that it isn't worth releasing on WiiWare with tons of modifications that will hamper the game and disrupt the order they spent so long to perfect... I say they'd be right in not letting it ever see the light of day on WiiWare.

Also, 3rd party companies not doing well on Wii... statistically this may be true but... they should send a few 360 or PC copies to the publishers to try and change their minds.
laugh.gif

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
SPH73 said:
They'll sell it on a disc for $20.

Devs do it with XBLA games all the time.

*Fingers crossed for this*

That recent Worms Battles Islands had a similar problem, was delayed for a year then finally released on disc. When you scrub it its only like 55mb.

*runs off to play some more Frobot*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt