Gaming Super Mario 64 Daedalus Hack?

pika9323

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just like the latest DaedalusX revision (181). It works really god

But i heared something interesting in Strmnnrmn Blog.

Hyperhacker wrote:
QUOTE said:
In Super Mario 64 there's an even more interesting hack, patching the instruction at 80248154. I really have no idea what this instruction does, but by NOPing it, the game runs quite a bit faster, even on real hardware. Changing the upper halfword to 0x4444 makes it even faster still. It doesn't seem to have any side effects, audio still works normally, etc.

But i don´t really know what this mean.

But maybe then i could run SM64 a bit faster =)

Would be cool.

Thanks for all your help.

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I choked on my cereal while reading this, since I have knwon Hyperhacker very well for years. What it means is you have to open the ROM in a hex editor and change the address it is talking about. If you are a ROM hacker like us, it's not a problem at all.

pika9323

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sonicandtails said:
I choked on my cereal while reading this, since I have knwon Hyperhacker very well for years. What it means is you have to open the ROM in a hex editor and change the address it is talking about. If you are a ROM hacker like us, it's not a problem at all.

I tried it but i cant find the offset with my Hex Editor (HxD).

Edit: I use Super Mario 64 (D,F,E).v64 rom.

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pika9323 said:
Sonicandtails said:

It looks like he described it as editing the active ASM while running, but it can be translated to be a hex edit modification.

Edit: I'll give it a shot.

Edit2: Couldn't get my Renegade working with my PJ64, so no dice.

pika9323

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sonicandtails said:
pika9323 said:
Sonicandtails said:

It looks like he described it as editing the active ASM while running, but it can be translated to be a hex edit modification.

Edit: I'll give it a shot.

Edit2: Couldn't get my Renegade working with my PJ64, so no dice.

Anyway thanks for your help =).

linkinkid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hyperhacker was refering to ROM hacks to improve a game's speed, no urgent need for Mario 64 ,since currently it is running full speed with sound at frameskip 2, though you may experience a few slight slowdowns throughout the game.

@sonicandtails: Do you have any knowledge about speedhacks for the N64? Because Daedalus coders are looking into the possibility of implementing speedhacks into daedalus, and any help would be much appreciated.

P.S: If you could get Hyperhacker to go deeper into the subject he posted in Strmnnrmn' blog, please tell him to post any additional info in: www.daedalux64.com .Again thanks for your time.

linkinkid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I saw his thread, it has some good information, and a nice tutorial, I still want to learn more about speedhacks though, but it still has some good information nonetheless.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
pika9323 said:
I just like the latest DaedalusX revision (181). It works really god

But i heared something interesting in Strmnnrmn Blog.

Hyperhacker wrote:
QUOTE said:
In Super Mario 64 there's an even more interesting hack, patching the instruction at 80248154. I really have no idea what this instruction does, but by NOPing it, the game runs quite a bit faster, even on real hardware. Changing the upper halfword to 0x4444 makes it even faster still. It doesn't seem to have any side effects, audio still works normally, etc.

But i don´t really know what this mean.

But maybe then i could run SM64 a bit faster =)

Would be cool.

Thanks for all your help.

Is this in RAM? or ROM?

linkinkid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming it's refering to altering the instructions that the ROM is bound to follow in order to make it go faster, so I'd say it's refering to ROM, but I'm not too sure so don't quote me on that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night