Hardware Super Mario 3ds joystick replacement.

cry8wolf9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I broke my joystick on my 3ds a couple of days ago. I'm not having a problem taking it apart to replace it but I'm having a hard time finding a replacement that I know will work with it. Does anyone know where I can get one.

To clarify what 3ds it is it's the black Mario one that stores were selling around the last black Friday

bakageta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The analog tops of the small o3DS and n3DS are very similar, close enough that you can use any o3DS replacement on your system.

This post has pictures:
The replacement you linked to in your first post should fit fine. The circle pad in the old 3DSXL and the N3DSXL are just about identical. They are totally interchangeable. I haven't looked inside the small N3DS, but below is the circle pad in an N3DSXL.

On the left is the circle pad for the N3DSXL. On the right is one taken from an old 3DSXL.

The circle pad for the small O3DS is a slightly different shape, but it could still be used. It just wouldn't look original.

Gamelogic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was considering this:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/76RHQ7ZEW/3dstick-metal-3ds-circle-pad

710x528_17524228_7151806_1486021399.jpg

MegaMane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently replaced my new 3ds xl circle pad with a metal Shapeways stick as shown above. I definitely would recommend this mod BUT all the surfaces touching the housing needs to be sanded down thoroughly. The stick is solid metal with a powdered type coating which will scratch and add resistance when playing. I sanded the internal areas of the stick and now it works perfectly. I would definitely do it again but wouldnt recommend the mod without that information.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently replaced my new 3ds xl circle pad with a metal Shapeways stick as shown above. I definitely would recommend this mod BUT all the surfaces touching the housing needs to be sanded down thoroughly. The stick is solid metal with a powdered type coating which will scratch and add resistance when playing. I sanded the internal areas of the stick and now it works perfectly. I would definitely do it again but wouldnt recommend the mod without that information.

Isn't there a gasket that sandwiches between the circle pad and housing to prevent the scratching??

s-l400.jpg

MegaMane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The gasket really helps. When I installed the metal stick without any sanding the scratching was noticeable and created resistance. I think the scratching came from under the lip of the stick not in contact with the gasket. I could be wrong but sanding the coating off to a smooth steel surface fixed it.

I can only account for installation for a new 3ds xl. If you do decide to replace or repair with a 3d stick expect to sand any possible contact points to a relatively smooth surface. I would also recommend the metal version over the plastic because plastic would be difficult to smooth down the issue comes down to the texture.

BUT... It is Siiiiiick!!! Feels super sturdy and grippy and looks dope!
15307580570081635429825.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :(