Super Guide in Mario and...Zelda?!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Tempbot, Oct 17, 2009.

Oct 17, 2009
  1. Tempbot
    OP

Contributor Tempbot Tunnel Snakes rule

pip
    United Kingdom
    Super Guide in Mario and...Zelda?!
    A new Miyamoto interview was posted up at IGN and although it is mainly about the upcoming Super Mario Bros. game, it does mention a tiny bit about The Legend of Zelda.

Do you think the Super Guide is a form of cheating, and do you think it can be applied to any game?

Obviously people will buy a game and if they can play through to the end they’ll do that. Some will buy a strategy guide, some will go online for hints, and all we’ve done is incorporate it in some way inside the game itself. We were able to create it for this game because we set out to make it specifically for New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and I think it depends on the priorities for other titles whether it may or may not make it in those games. We can’t really promise that it’ll be in every game from now forward, but at the same time there are some types of gameplay that are suited to a system like this. We’ll evaluate the titles on a case-by-case basis. Let’s use Zelda as an example, introducing it opens up a Pandora’s Box: do we solve the puzzles, do we show how to solve it in order to make them understand it, do we show the whole solution? It can be a difficult system, but we do see some value in it.

Is it possible that this “Super Guide” will be present in the upcoming Zelda title? Miyamoto sure does seem to hint towards that.

Source

Contributed by avengedZC

2. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Wouldn't mind that at all, I'm stuck a lot of times in Zelda [​IMG]

3. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Same (except for the part about being stuck in Zelda), it really isn't that bad of an idea.

I remember somebody saying recently that video games are the only form of media to deny you content unless you actually beat challenges, when reading a book it will never turn around and say "Are you sure you've understood those last few pages? I don't think you have. Re-read them before I let you move on to the next page". Surely if you pay money for something, it shouldn't be allowed to deny you content, at least this system will allow people who have problems progressing by themselves to see the rest of the game.

4. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    I know it's not a bad idea, I know it's a good thing, but I'll be simply too tempted to use it [​IMG] I'll never actually play a game again, I'll just hit the Demo option and watch the cutscenes [​IMG]

5. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    It will be hard on me too, but just remember that the satisfaction you get from a solved puzzle is much bigger when you've found it yourself.

6. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    now noobs are gonna say:
    "i won zelda in 10 mins"
    sigh this ruins the games i myself am not gonna use that feature

7. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I had my doubts about the idea at first (it wouldn't ruin my game, but others would hate it) but in my opinion it's really well incorporated in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. You can't just let the CPU play the whole game, you can use the feature when you're really stuck (you are when you have lost 8 lives).

If it gets incorporated in such a way in Zelda I'd love it. I'm a fairly new Zelda player (I only really liked Twilight Princess so far) and I have had troubles with a few parts in the game. I'd rather use something ingame to help me than a guide.

8. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

Guys, Super Guide does NOT play the game for you.
    For example in NSMB. Wii, if you died 8 times in a row and start the level, a green block will appear on the screen. If you hit it, Luigi will take over the controls (you can see Luigi playing on the screen). If you press any button on the controller, Luigi will go away and you will be back to the beginning of the game.

So, again, Super Guide does not play the game for you. It shows you HOW to play the game.

9. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Jostiq does not agree: "Nintendo of Europe updated its site, saying that while watching the demonstration go down in real time, the player can choose to intervene whenever they wish and take control themselves."
    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/02/nintendo...r-mario-bros-w/

10. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

oh, I must have misunderstood then. [​IMG]

11. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    sigh. another feature to cater to the noobs.

12. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    That's it, I'm digging out the lead pipe and going to Japan. See you all in 25 years.

The so called "father of video gaming" is apparently also the bringer of the end of good video game. Miyamoto has become such a pompous ass from all the success of the Wii and DS that he doesn't care about gaming anymore, but just cash. I feel sad for the poor saps who have to do his horrendous wishes whilst making a game.

And leave Zelda out of this. There's a difference between skipped one of hundreds of worlds in Mario and skipping an entire dungeon in Zelda. This is stupid. If gaming becomes this dumbed down you can consider every single Nintendo franchise to be shovelware in the next ten years.

13. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Does it really matter? People who are shit at games cheat anyway so what difference does it make?

You lot are just a bunch of drama queens, would you rather Nintendo makes these games easier to cater for these bad game players or would you rather they make the games challenging and have this system THAT YOU CAN EASILY IGNORE?

If people want to use this system its their loss, it doesn't take away your own enjoyment to the game.

14. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    and for people who dont need this dont use it simple as that i think this is a great idea becasue i dont wanna go buy a guide for this next zelda game.

ive been stuc in zelda for maye 1 or 2 years lol

15. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

oh yeah that too [​IMG]

16. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    As long as the mode's not forced onto me, I'm happy. As other people have said, hopefully we will get harder games now.

17. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Still hate SuperGuide.......I don't consider gaming, "gaming" when there is a "system" to help you. It may help us get harder games but still.................................... [​IMG]

18. Fakie!

Member Fakie! GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    Hope that with this the games become a little more challenging, specially Zelda.

19. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    make it difficult and put the guide or just keep the guide (extra features always welcome)