GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping to record some gameplay footage on my DVDR and rip it to my computer for posting on Youtube and such. Can you guys suggest any good but free rip software?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First is fraps/Taksi or something like that not any good?

Your DVR should not make encrypted DVDs but if it does ripit4me (site got taken out but 2 minutes at http://forum.doom9.org/ should be able to net it) should work to get anything from. Some of the commercial apps (that usually sport a slightly reduced functionality version) have some interesting stuff as well.

After you have a nice collection of vob/ifo/bup files you can use DGMpegdec with avisynth to feed it to a half decent encoder. Grab it here: http://neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec.html

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, man. So, you're saying I don't really require a rip program? Do I need to finalize the movies in my DVD player before trying to copy them over to my computer?

I've tried putting DVDRs (I've recorded stuff onto) into my comp, but nothing shows up when I try to look at the drive folder.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tend to shy away from DVRs but finalize can mean either finishing a session or encoding in my experience, both of which it is probably a good idea to do.

Oh and about the FRAPs thing sorry I forgot about the consoles.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WinFF is another good program/frontend to convert ifo/vob to mpeg. Then from there you will need the FLV encoder (Riva FLV encoder is by far the most popular). If you want to encode to xvid/divx then AutoGK is great for that.

Added:
Depending on the recorder and media type used you may have to finalize the disc in order for it to be read by your computer. Try without and if it doesn't show you all of the recordings on the disc then finalize it and try again.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the media I'm using is a re-writeable DVD, but like I said, my computer does not recognize anything on the disk. As a matter of fact, when I check the properties for the DVD while in the drive, it shows no memory used.

Sorry, I'm a total noob when it comes to this sort of thing. Not sure what is required in order to merely copy over what I've recorded on my DVDR player to my comp.
unsure.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Check your drive supports the media, if you use imgburn hit tools, drive, capabilities (near the bottom of the menu).

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the media I'm using is a re-writeable DVD, but like I said, my computer does not recognize anything on the disk. As a matter of fact, when I check the properties for the DVD while in the drive, it shows no memory used.

Sorry, I'm a total noob when it comes to this sort of thing. Not sure what is required in order to merely copy over what I've recorded on my DVDR player to my comp.Â
unsure.gif

Is the disc finalized?

To copy over the files you just drag and drop as you would normally copy files from a DVD since there is no encryption for content you have recorded yourself.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...no, I haven't finalized any of the DVDRWs I've tried using. Now, finalizing would prevent me from rewriting onto the discs, correct?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: im playing fortnite rn and just got rsn over by a car