Stop violating the GPL

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by WiiPower, Jan 4, 2009.

Jan 4, 2009

Stop violating the GPL by WiiPower at 1:05 PM (1,341 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. WiiPower
    OP

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    I just saw somebody searching for the source of the Gamma 002 fix version. I know that i always have ... uploads(rapidshare 10 times), but i thought everybody who reuploads my stuff knows why i always include the source. If a software is licensed under GPL and you upload it, you have to provide the source or a link to it*. I'm not hosting my stuff ==> you have to include the source or to host it separately.

I know that the backup launchers are mostly used to pirate stuff, but i don't tolerate GPL violations. If i see versions of my stuff around in the future without source i will stop to upload stuff.

Not to violate the GPL is very easy: If you reupload something which has the source included, just don't remove it. If you create a channel of this, copy the source to your release. The source is every file in the packages which is not the .dol.

*That's not 100% correct, but if you see it like that, you don't get problems. For more infomations look here:
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

2. Skarface05

Member Skarface05 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I have also seen this happen.

Lets hope that the people involved will take heed, as none of us want to lose your uploads WiiPower!

8-)

3. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    What's GPL?

4. WiiPower
    OP

Germany
  5. Joey R.

Banned Joey R. Banned

Spain
    GNU General Public License. Basically, he's demanding honour among thieves, to put it bluntly. If you are distributing something you didn't create, give credit to the original source. I couldn't agree more with WiiPower... but as we've been seeing recently, specially with an ISO-related site, some people just can't live without getting credit for something they didn't. Let's hope that, at least in GBATemp, everyone is properly credited for their hard work.

6. smealum

Member smealum growing up sucks.

United States
    He's not asking for credit. He's just asking that the sourcecode not be removed from the package when the program is reuploaded by someone.

7. WiiPower
    OP

Germany
    Yes, you got me, i want credit. But i really hate it myself if i want to write something and i see something which could be very useful for me, but i can't get the source of it. If something is closed source software, then i simply can't get the source, that's ok. But if something is "open source", but i can't get the source of it, i get angry.

8. riahc3

Member riahc3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The backup loader is NOT used for pirated games; It is used to run your own personal owned backups and games bought from other regions.

Do not throw everyone into the same garbage.

9. Joey R.

Banned Joey R. Banned

Spain
    No, no, I'm not saying WiiPower wants credit, it's the people who repack releases and don't include the source who want credit for doing nothing [​IMG]

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  11. Wiisel

Member Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    i killed all my channels for updating yesterday ill add the complete folder mr WiiPower including dol when i get them up later [​IMG] i may even include a little readme. [​IMG]

12. WiiPower
    OP

Germany
    Thank you. This has another advantage, if anybody has a problem with a channel, he can look into the source and see what's the problem. There were force ntsc autoboot gamma channels(and others) around in the past, which did not what they promised. If you get the source too, problems like this will be corrected quickly in the future.