Hacking Stop violating the GPL

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just saw somebody searching for the source of the Gamma 002 fix version. I know that i always have ... uploads(rapidshare 10 times), but i thought everybody who reuploads my stuff knows why i always include the source. If a software is licensed under GPL and you upload it, you have to provide the source or a link to it*. I'm not hosting my stuff ==> you have to include the source or to host it separately.

I know that the backup launchers are mostly used to pirate stuff, but i don't tolerate GPL violations. If i see versions of my stuff around in the future without source i will stop to upload stuff.

Not to violate the GPL is very easy: If you reupload something which has the source included, just don't remove it. If you create a channel of this, copy the source to your release. The source is every file in the packages which is not the .dol.

*That's not 100% correct, but if you see it like that, you don't get problems. For more infomations look here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

Joey R.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canonbeat234 said:
What's GPL?

GNU General Public License. Basically, he's demanding honour among thieves, to put it bluntly. If you are distributing something you didn't create, give credit to the original source. I couldn't agree more with WiiPower... but as we've been seeing recently, specially with an ISO-related site, some people just can't live without getting credit for something they didn't. Let's hope that, at least in GBATemp, everyone is properly credited for their hard work.

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Joey R. said:
Canonbeat234 said:
What's GPL?

GNU General Public License. Basically, he's demanding honour among thieves, to put it bluntly. If you are distributing something you didn't create, give credit to the original source. I couldn't agree more with WiiPower... but as we've been seeing recently, specially with an ISO-related site, some people just can't live without getting credit for something they didn't. Let's hope that, at least in GBATemp, everyone is properly credited for their hard work.
He's not asking for credit. He's just asking that the sourcecode not be removed from the package when the program is reuploaded by someone.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Joey R. said:
Canonbeat234 said:
What's GPL?

Yes, you got me, i want credit. But i really hate it myself if i want to write something and i see something which could be very useful for me, but i can't get the source of it. If something is closed source software, then i simply can't get the source, that's ok. But if something is "open source", but i can't get the source of it, i get angry.

riahc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The backup loader is NOT used for pirated games; It is used to run your own personal owned backups and games bought from other regions.

Do not throw everyone into the same garbage.

Joey R.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No, no, I'm not saying WiiPower wants credit, it's the people who repack releases and don't include the source who want credit for doing nothing
tongue.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i killed all my channels for updating yesterday ill add the complete folder mr WiiPower including dol when i get them up later
smile.gif
i may even include a little readme.
smile.gif

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
FAST6191 said:
While I agree in principle "you have to provide the source or a link to it" you do not, you merely have to provide a means by which to get the source. It just so happens it is a pain to sort out another means so most include in the distribution or hyperlink to it:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#W...ittenOfferValid

Also why link wikipedia (all my searches are -wikipedia these days) when you have the actual site to link to:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

I updated the 1st post, thanks for the clarification.

QUOTE(Wiisel @ Jan 4 2009, 02:56 PM) i killed all my channels for updating yesterday ill add the complete folder mr WiiPower including dol when i get them up later
smile.gif
i may even include a little readme.
smile.gif

Thank you. This has another advantage, if anybody has a problem with a channel, he can look into the source and see what's the problem. There were force ntsc autoboot gamma channels(and others) around in the past, which did not what they promised. If you get the source too, problems like this will be corrected quickly in the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-