Stop updates by bricking vWii?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by eddiejo6, May 8, 2016.

1. eddiejo6
    OP

eddiejo6 Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2016
    Norway
    Hi! I have a question regarding stopping nintendo from updating my WiiU. I have Tubehax installed and spotpass deactivated, recieve updates disabled and the quickstart thingy is off. But I'm still worried that nintendo might suprise my ass with an unwanted update.

Then while I was reading/researching the WiiU I came about a tutorial about softmodding the vWii part of the WiiU and the guide said this "WARNING! ALTHOUGH BRICKING YOUR vWII WILL ONLY BRICK THE vWII PART OF THE WIIU, IT MIGHT/WILL CAUSE ISSUES IF YOU WANT TO UPDATE THE WIIU PART". Since I already have a softmodded wii hooked up and ready for action. Could I brick the vWii part of my WiiU on purpose, to make sure that Nintendo can't update my wii even if they somehow manage to push an update to it?

2. SomeGamer

SomeGamer Within Hyrule Castle

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    What if you want to update later on?

3. eddiejo6
    OP

eddiejo6 Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2016
    Norway
    Sure....but I highly doubt Nintendo will push any meaningful updates to the WiiU anymore. I think it's stuck in the same place as the 3ds "Stability Improvements", they haven't even bothered to patch this latest exploit yet.

AboodXD and SomeGamer like this.
  4. SomeGamer

SomeGamer Within Hyrule Castle

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    I heard you can install a cIOS to vWii. This blocks updates AND it's also reversible!

5. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Just remember dump a clean copy of the IOS you want to corrupt :teach:

AboodXD and SomeGamer like this.
  6. AboodXD

AboodXD I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.

Oct 11, 2014
    United Arab Emirates
    Not under a rock.
    If you're willing to sacrifice the vWii mode, then that's a way of blocking updates. :)

7. eddiejo6
    OP

eddiejo6 Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2016
    Norway
    Like I said, already have the real wii so I have no use for the vWii. Has anyone thought of this before? Cause I'd love to have a tutorial for a "safe" way to brick my vWII (Never thought I'd say that sentence before in my life :P)

8. H3llbender

H3llbender Cancer

Jun 1, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    Its just a matter of replacing a vWii IOS with a Wii one. Only problem is, i'm not sure which one has to be bricked.

9. FenrirWolf

FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 19, 2008
    United States
    Sandy, UT
    If you wanna go this route you should probably replace a nonessential IOS, like IOS37 or something, with a normal Wii IOS. That should be enough to bork up the IOS and prevent system updates from working, but wont brick the entire vWii mode.

But make sure you first do a clean backup of the original vWii IOS in case you want to repair that IOS later on.

Last edited by FenrirWolf, May 17, 2016