Stella Glow Save Editing Help

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by mdw, Mar 3, 2016.

1. mdw
    OP

mdw Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2016
    United States
    I know this isn't a very popular game, but maybe someone can still help me with editing the save.

For those who haven't played the game, a player can spend time with other playable characters to build up a bond (called Affinity in-game). Each time a player interacts with another character there is a short scene with dialogue. Units of Free Time are a limited resource and thus it prevents players from maxing out their affinities with all other characters in a single playthrough. It's a bit analogous to Time and Social Links from Persona 3/4.

I'm using homebrew and svdt to export and import the .bins. Finding the block that controls Free Time was simple enough, but I can't seem to manipulate the values to what I want.

Without any editing, this is what the game generates by itself.

(using Hex Fiend the block is at offset 80-84)

00 00 00 00 00 Free Time Counter = 3, Actual Free Time = 3, Set of Characters = A,
    01 00 00 00 01 Free Time Counter = 2, Actual Free Time = 2, Set of Characters = B,
    02 00 00 00 02 Free Time Counter = 1, Actual Free Time = 1, Set of Characters = C,

It seems straightforward, that if I want more Free Time I can edit the first and last values back to 00, but this resets the Set of Characters back to the first grouping, A. So, although, I can build up the relationship as much as I want with any character from Set A or Set B, I can't do the same with characters from Set C. As soon as the Actual Free Time reaches zero, the story advances.

I tried various combinations to see if I could possibly get the combination:
    Free Time Counter = 3, Actual Free Time = 3, Set of Characters = B or C.

I tried playing around with the values a bit.

00 XX XX XX 00
    if one and only one of those XX = 01, and the other XX's =00, Free Time Counter = 8, Actual Free Time = 1, Set of Characters = B.
    if one and only one of those XX = 02, and the other XX's = 00, Free Time Counter = 8, Actual Free Time = 1, Set of Characters = C.

Aside, just for fun I tried FF FF FF FF FF and ended up with Free Time = 4/4, but the room where you interact with characters was empty and the list of choices was just a bunch of ffffffffffff's that were unselectable.

I don't know enough about save editing, yet. At this point, I'm just taking shots in the dark. Maybe someone can provide some insight.

Aside: Here's how I found the block: Dumped a Save with Free Time = 3 as a Baseline. Used up a Free Time through Event X. Reset. Used up a Free Time through Event Y. Used up one more Free Time and compared all the files.

2. Batrimimina!

Batrimimina! Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2015
    Is there anything about Level editing for characters?