Steam's VAC Ban system is highly flawed

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 1,018
  • Replies 4
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Back in 2007 a college colleague I used to hang out with stole my Steam account and for several years I wasn't aware but the strangest thing is that I never gave him the login/pass for him to use. Now, since the account is VAC banned the games that I bought back then for 30 euros are dust as they've been blacklisted because he used cheats.

I have tried to explain my situation to Steam Support but they say they can't do anything about it, or won't. This is really unfortunate because I got little playtime out of it while a freeloader took advantage of it without I ever knowing it was happening.

The solution now is to make a new account and buy the games again.. but the fault wasn't even mine which makes it seem unnecessary and wrong.

EDIT: I also considered him a friend but that just goes to show how good some friends are.. :(

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Back in 2007 a college colleague I used to hang out with stole my Steam account and for several years I wasn't aware but the strangest thing is that I never gave him the login/pass for him to use. Now, since the account is VAC banned the games that I bought back then for 30 euros are dust as they've been blacklisted because he used cheats.

I have tried to explain my situation to Steam Support but they say they can't do anything about it, or won't. This is really unfortunate because I got little playtime out of it while a freeloader took advantage of it without I ever knowing it was happening.

The solution now is to make a new account and buy the games again.. but the fault wasn't even mine which makes it seem unnecessary and wrong.

EDIT: I also considered him a friend but that just goes to show how good some friends are.. :(
well its not like you have proof that he was using your account, if anything it seems he played it more than you did.

Steam wont magically unban people because *there friends stole there account* especially for almost 10 years

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
well its not like you have proof that he was using your account, if anything it seems he played it more than you did.

Steam wont magically unban people because *there friends stole there account* especially for almost 10 years
I did have proof. Before I cleaned up my profile he had his very own name and location on my profile. If that isn't proof enough then I don't know what is.

That guy's a scumbag and never want to ever see nor speak to him again.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see no issue with steams system.
Hacking was done from your account, your account was banned. Sounds perfectly logical to me.

The whole "my friend was totally the one cheating" excuse has been used by 12 year olds since the internet began. It'll never be a valid excuse. It's your account, it's your responsibility to keep it safe. You did not keep it safe, therefore YOUR security was what is flawed.

Reactions: DinohScene
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
I see no issue with steams system.
Hacking was done from your account, your account was banned. Sounds perfectly logical to me.

The whole "my friend was totally the one cheating" excuse has been used by 12 year olds since the internet began. It'll never be a valid excuse. It's your account, it's your responsibility to keep it safe. You did not keep it safe, therefore YOUR security was what is flawed.

The problem was that I was never aware it had happened and when I did it was too late.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.