Starfield gamma problem on Xbox?

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I started the game yesterday like ten million others probably and in the very first area of the game where you are in a mine, I've found there to be a very annoying gamma/brightness problem.
First, the gamma / brightness is not adjustable, there is simply no setting for it in this game, unlike most others.
We're in a mine, it's supposed to be dark with few light sources, yet the area is very bright and light grey.
I couldn't get a good shot of my TV but anyway

1694050216829.png

Turns out I'm not the only one, far from it:

etc... dozens of it

I've tried disabling HDR but that doesn't really do much, and the game doesn't look as good, so I've turned it back on.
I've left the area for now so it's not as much of a problem I thought it would be, but still, I feel kind of let down as it's the very first thing you do in the game.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Can confirm - super annoying every time it gets more obvious, which is practically in every indoor area.
What the actual fuck?

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Just found this group today. My bad (been playing in bits since early access).

I never had those issues while playing the game on my Series X, it could be from the TV but I doubt it (it's a cheap 55", but it does have 4k and HDR10).

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I found the sweet spot by doing the following, in case anyone's looking to improve their visual experience:
- set my TV to default picture settings, enabling all the good stuff like HDR, "game mode" and whatnot
- simply reduced my brightness level to the minimum value, by default it's 0 and I set it to -5
- it improves things dramatically
- I play in the complete dark now, turning off all the lights
- I have become pretty sure that there are visual effects on certain planets that make things look a bit weird, like on Mars, I think it's supposed to be some kind of a dust particle filter or something? looks like haze. But it's not everywhere. The New Atlantis filter is unsettling at times too.

Overall with all these changes it looks good, can't complain much anymore.

Latest photos

Group events

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: