Gaming Stange internet speed, my fault or ISP's?

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just browsing the net and everything and the speed just dropped like hell, to confirm it, I tried to download a few anime files from direct downloads, I got under 3kb 0.o

Cleared my cache, tried other browsers, restarted pc, released and renewed IP using command prompt, nothing seemed to work, then I tried opening uTorrent and waddya know, a torrent with only a few peers downloaded at 200kbps after being on for a min or so.

Tried a browser again, and yet, incredibly slow speed, tried a download from MU and not even 1kb, 5 mins later the browsers speed is back to normal...

Just curious here,
If it was the ISP's fault, why the hell was uTorrent working correctly?
If the problem was on my end, what caused it?

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saken said:
Did you check your usage?
Yeah, of course, it's only on 35% (17-18GB used) and AFAIK it would have nothing to do with the usage if the speed went back to normal...

D

Deleted User

Try your internet/downloading at a non-peak time, like 3:00 a.m. or something
ohmy.gif
. Sounds like it's probably your ISP.

ferdi-t

Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
One thing I always do when I want to determine if the fault is with the download service, or with my isp:

- Try googling for the phrase 100mb.bin. You'll get a number of hits, so pick any of them. Download the file to your desktop to determine the speed you get.
- You could also try downloading Ubuntu and burning it to a cd, then booting your pc without installing it, then running some tests again. If everything's fine within Ubuntu, then you know that you have to search within Windows for the solution.
- Oh, and make sure to powercycle your modem and router too. Fixing a speed issue could be as simple as unplugging your gear for 15 seconds.

Please let me know if this was of any help to you.
smile.gif

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I'm having the exact same problem as the OP. Browsing is dead slow but uTorrent downloads are just fine. uTorrent speeds go up to 200KB/s but browser downloads are ~7KB/s. WTF? Powered down the modem, router, UPS, computer, the works. But nothing helped.

ferdi-t

Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
bowser said:
I'm having the exact same problem as the OP. Browsing is dead slow but uTorrent downloads are just fine. uTorrent speeds go up to 200KB/s but browser downloads are ~7KB/s. WTF? Powered down the modem, router, UPS, computer, the works. But nothing helped.
Could be your ISP, but it doesn't seem likely. Try an Ubuntu live-cd for testing purposes. If you get a great speed there, then it's your Windows which is lost in the woods.

T

tigers_ran

If your connecting to your internet using a wireless modem make sure there is no microwave between your PC/laptop and your modem. Turning the microwave on reduces my download speed to about 1kbps. I can't confirm this, but I think other appliances such as fridges do the same.

LORD_NIGHTMARE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OP, i know the exact issue
the physical connections between 'us' and the outgoing fiber optic bundle in Darwin has been cut due to the floods and cyclone. (the cables themselves are fine, we just don't have any exchange centers.) the exact same issue is happening to everyone nationwide. melbourne is one of the least effected but we still feel the impact.
environmental conditions are at fault, not you nor the isp.

edit: wow. my name is in all caps like that? makes me look like a 13 year old

dysan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
what the.....I'm having the EXACT same issue as gifi4 for the last 10 days or so and I can't find what's causing it!

I don't have any appliances in between the modem and pc and as far as I know we haven't been hit by any natural disasters lately.

and I'm also a million miles away from all you people....could this be a world-wide conspiracy?!
unsure.gif

ferdi-t

Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
dysan said:
what the.....I'm having the EXACT same issue as gifi4 for the last 10 days or so and I can't find what's causing it!

I don't have any appliances in between the modem and pc and as far as I know we haven't been hit by any natural disasters lately.

and I'm also a million miles away from all you people....could this be a world-wide conspiracy?!
unsure.gif

I wouldn't call it a conspiracy, more like a coincidence. Problems like this happen all the time and statistically most problems lie within the confines of the home of the user. Again... Use an Ubuntu live-cd to determine in which direction you would have to start looking to find the problem.
wink.gif

ferdi-t

Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Traffic shaping happens everywhere, but doesn't seem likely in this case. That would mean that the ISP would leave torrent-traffic untouched and squeeze http. Usually when traffic-shaping occurs, it's the other way around.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later