SSBB - Black Screen

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by RunicLady, Oct 8, 2013.

1. RunicLady
    OP

RunicLady Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2013
    United States
    Whenever I try to run Super Smash Bros. Brawl in Wii mode on my Wii U, I get a black screen as soon as I start the game from the disk channel.

The system becomes completely unresponsive and I have to unplug it to turn it off.

All other games work just fine :/

Has anyone else run into this issue before??

2. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    is your disk scratched?

do you have homebrew?

3. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    My aunt had this exact problem.

Every game would work but Smash Bros., but no problems with the disk.

Edit: This was on a standard Wii, however.

She had to get a new Wii.

4. RunicLady
    OP

RunicLady Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2013
    United States
    *facepalms* I completely forgot about scratches. I haven't had an issue with disc scratches in years - that's not an exaggeration either. Now I feel really dumb about deleting my save.

IT turns out thart there are some minor scratches around it, but they really don't look like anything too serious. I have other discs that are way more scratched, yet play just fine. I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything though.

I HAD homebrew...I deleted the channel off of my vWii though. I was actually trying to get it re-installed through the Smash Stack exploit, but the game wouldn't even boot from the disc like normal...

Now that you mention it, I do remember there being an issue with older Wii models not reading Brawl discs, and it was a hardware issue that required Nintendo to replace the Wii entirely.

However, I've played Brawl before on this console, so I don't think it is a hardware issue.

It seems that my next step should be to try a different disc. If that doesn't work...then I have no idea. I'll have to get a USB Loader working some how.

5. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    Brawl did work on my Aunt's console, too. It just stopped working one day out of the blue for no reason.