Square Enix Exec Troubled by E3 Showing

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Celice said:
Square became the way of Rare did when it went to Microsoft. Only here the difference is Square began whoring out the same shit over, and over, and over, with very basic outlines to structure it, where Rare... just shat over everything they had
The reason Rare started flopping so badly is because the geniuses behind Goldeneye and Perfect Dark left and later formed Free Radical. (Who made a legendary series which I was hoping to have a sequel announced of at E3)

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
cwstjdenobs said:
The Squaresoft side are pussies too scared of sticking with good ideas that the serious FF fanboys don't love as soon as they see it.

I mean the whole combat system for XII was an amazing idea coming from these guys. The story may have being pants and the world feel tiny even if it looked massive but they should have tried to keep the one promising part of the game and develop that in XIII instead of gimping the gambit system into the horrid paradigms. And stepping out of the world map for fights was another major step backwards. And with XII the game was becoming less linear again, and they had to shove you into an "on the rails rpg" for the sequel? And the worse thing was, they even had a decent premise that could have turned into a good story line with XIII and they screwed that up too.
Except paradigms have nothing to do with gambits. In fact FFXII and FFXIII were developed by completely different teams. Paradigms are not an evolution of gambits or anything. So if anything you can blame the different teams for the these "backward steps" you talk about.

QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Jun 10 2011, 04:26 PM) I want to know is... what the hell do they expect?

They work on one game and make development for that game last years. They don't have multiple things coming out.

They could easily make Tetsua work only on KH, bring in another character designer, have one final fantasy, one kingdom hearts, and one or two non-big Square Enix titles.

It's a no brainer why Japanese games are becoming scarce, because they don't even try.
They have multiple things coming out (and have had for a while now), but I guess I shouldn't have expected an uninformed troll to know that.

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I was hoping for news about DQ X. It is supposed to be a Wii title, but no updates about it since late 08. That is the only reason I have not sold or thrown away my wii.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Goli said:
They have multiple things coming out (and have had for a while now), but I guess I shouldn't have expected an uninformed troll to know that.

It doesn't change the fact that they are no longer the great developer they once were. A lot of their games are mediocre these days. Hell back during the PSX days, Final Fantasy was loved by everyone. And now that series has it's fans split up. Some like the new final fantasies, some despise it.

Square Enix isn't the powerhouse that makes great like it used to be. A lot of their games are hit or miss. They complain about their E3 showing, but they didn't have anything to show. They didn't have anything that just blew our minds or anything. They talk about the Japanese gaming industry and how it's diminishing, it's no wonder.

You want to talk about me being uninformed? That's not my fault, that's their fault and their marketing.

It's not trolling, it's stating common sense. Jackass.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Square Enix games themselves have been pretty bad the last few years, only a couple of good games have come from them as a company. I think they really do need to move in a different direction, get away from their RPG's and reinvent some of their franchises in a new light. Some of their games remain solid, and generally the Dragon Quest games have remained real gems but they don't develop them in house. Square tries too hard to make big budget games and that is going to hurt them in the end, especially when they aren't financially successful.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DSGamer64 said:
Square Enix games themselves have been pretty bad the last few years, only a couple of good games have come from them as a company. I think they really do need to move in a different direction, get away from their RPG's and reinvent some of their franchises in a new light. Some of their games remain solid, and generally the Dragon Quest games have remained real gems but they don't develop them in house. Square tries too hard to make big budget games and that is going to hurt them in the end, especially when they aren't financially successful.

I agree with everything except for the "reinvent some of their franchises".

Up to Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy has all been turn based, maybe aside from one or two, but majority have been turn based. They decided to change the way it's done, and look what happened. Those titles aren't selling as much as others have, and the people who do buy it, not necessarily all of them are fans like there would be for IX, VII, VIII and so on. They changed it too much. They're not exactly the powerhouse that they once were that can pull off insane graphics either, now their graphics are starting to look a little off, and not realistic.

They need to go back to their roots. Find out what made them a successful company where almost every gamer was a fan of them. Kingdom Hearts made a no show, Final Fantasy XIII left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths (i didn't say ALL), so XIII-2 is missable.

They need to step their game up, and come back with those epic titles that cost the players upwards of 70 hours just to complete. And for gods sakes, go back to traditional style, just work around that. Lost Odyssey did it with their Ring system, and that was a fantastic game.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The lack of Hironobu Sakaguchi, their principal loss is (that was so Yoda), that's why games aren't so impresive as they were in the past.
I still have some faith in the Ivalice union.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I was hopping some type-0 and FF XIII Versus stuff.

Although everybody knows it's never going to happen, I was hopping for some non-mainstream games to be announced - like a sequel to TWEWY. Like seriously... someday, they have to consider a sequel to TWEWY.

TheDestroyer

GBAtemp's Official Keyblade Master™
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I was waiting for KH3D to be announce but got disappointed. I really do like Battlefield 3 though.
smile.gif

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
ShadowSoldier said:
Goli said:

It doesn't change the fact that they are no longer the great developer they once were. A lot of their games are mediocre these days. Hell back during the PSX days, Final Fantasy was loved by everyone. And now that series has it's fans split up. Some like the new final fantasies, some despise it.

Square Enix isn't the powerhouse that makes great like it used to be. A lot of their games are hit or miss. They complain about their E3 showing, but they didn't have anything to show. They didn't have anything that just blew our minds or anything. They talk about the Japanese gaming industry and how it's diminishing, it's no wonder.

You want to talk about me being uninformed? That's not my fault, that's their fault and their marketing.

It's not trolling, it's stating common sense. Jackass.

And your argument doesn't change the fact that you still said something that's not true, they have been releasing lots of (good, bad for some) games.

DSGamer64 said:
The problem is that that's exactly what they've been doing but people always find some way to make it seem like TEH WORST GAME EVER. Front Mission Evolved had nothing to do with an SRPG, despite pretty much all Front Mission games being SRPGs, and it didn't turn out very well.
And really, I doubt it'll hurt them. Their big budget games always end up delivering sales-wise. In some cases they've missed expectations, but they still got revenue from it (like with FFXIII). alsoohgodpleasedontreinventyourfranchiseskeepmakingrpgsse
ShadowSoldier said:
I agree with everything except for the "reinvent some of their franchises".

Up to Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy has all been turn based, maybe aside from one or two, but majority have been turn based. They decided to change the way it's done, and look what happened.
If by turn based you mean actual turns, only FFI, II, III and X are turn based. If by turn based you mean "fill a bar up and act" all other mainline FFs are turn based too.

QUOTE said:
Those titles aren't selling as much as others have, and the people who do buy it, not necessarily all of them are fans like there would be for IX, VII, VIII and so on. They changed it too much. They're not exactly the powerhouse that they once were that can pull off insane graphics either, now their graphics are starting to look a little off, and not realistic.
They're still the powerhouse they've always been. Final Fantasy XIII looks better than most of this generation's games, and not only does it look, it actually performs better than most too with pretty much no frame rate drops (except for The Archylte Steppe in the 360 version, but that's understandable considering it's not the leading platform) and almost nonexistant load times, without installing the game even (in fact the option of installing it doesn't even exist in the PS3 version). Their games on other platforms too, like The 3rd Birthday or Final Fantasy Type-0 on PSP, or pretty much all of their DS games.

QUOTE said:
They need to go back to their roots. Find out what made them a successful company where almost every gamer was a fan of them. Kingdom Hearts made a no show, Final Fantasy XIII left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths (i didn't say ALL), so XIII-2 is missable.
The problem is that when they go back to their roots everyone is quick to shout "SHAMELESS CASH IN SPINOFF" like with The 4 Warriors of Light, or Final Fantasy IV: The After Years. Also, regarding FFXIII-2, the developers have already stated they're taking criticisms made to XIII heavily into XIII-2's development, so I really don't think it's missable. With the information availiable now, XIII-2 sounds more FF-like than XIII.

They need to step their game up, and come back with those epic titles that cost the players upwards of 70 hours just to complete. And for gods sakes, go back to traditional style, just work around that. Lost Odyssey did it with their Ring system, and that was a fantastic game.
The titles are there, you're just not looking hard enough.

QUOTE(Necron N.N @ Jun 10 2011, 11:20 PM)
The lack of Hironobu Sakaguchi, their principal loss is (that was so Yoda), that's why games aren't so impresive as they were in the past.
I still have some faith in the Ivalice union.
It's Ivalice Alliance. And I'm pretty sure they already killed that brand seeing as they've not released an Ivalice Alliance game in over 3 years.

QUOTE(TheDestroyer @ Jun 10 2011, 11:42 PM)
I was waiting for KH3D to be announce but got disappointed. I really do like Battlefield 3 though.
smile.gif
What the hell has Battlefield 3 got to do with this?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Goli said:
And your argument doesn't change the fact that you still said something that's not true, they have been releasing lots of (good, bad for some) games. Oh for gods sakes kid, I meant that their games aren't universally acclaimed as they once were. Back on the PSX and mid PS2 days, every game they came out with received a lot of high reviews. It sold lots. But now their titles aren't doing that on any platform. They might still be selling a high number, but compared to how much they usually sell? No. Their games might be getting good scores, but as good as their other works? No. THAT'S what I'm saying.

QUOTE said:
If by turn based you mean actual turns, only FFI, II, III and X are turn based. If by turn based you mean "fill a bar up and act" all other mainline FFs are turn based too.

See how Final Fantasy X, IX, VIII, VII play (those are the ones that are coming to mind)? Where the player attacks, then the boss, depending of course on agility, they have to go back to that. Final Fantasy XII (from what I've played at the beginning so far) and beyond, don't do that. They try to change it too much. Lost Odyssey so far has the best battle system imo. It was standard turn based (like the example I gave), but they changed it up with the Ring System. Kept it simple, but it was still great. Final Fantasy X is another great one, they kept it simple, but added that little thing where you can change members, and it was great.

QUOTE said:
They're still the powerhouse they've always been.
No they aren't. Their games don't look all that stunning now. None of them give off that "holy shit, is this real or cgi?" like Spirits Within for example. Or the first time when I saw a CG in Final Fantasy VII and then what blew my mind in Final Fantasy VIII.

QUOTE said:
Final Fantasy XIII looks better than most of this generation's games, Not really. If you compare it to Metal Gear Solid, God of War, the Halo games (yes they look great), Heavy Rain, Modern Warfare (at the time of release) and other type games, it doesn't really sparkle. During the PS1 days, it was hard to compete against Square in making games look great and realistic, but now everybody is doing it, and better.

QUOTE said:
Their games on other platforms too, like The 3rd Birthday or Final Fantasy Type-0 on PSP, or pretty much all of their DS games.
I will give you that their PSP games look fantastic. But their DS games on the other hand, eh.

The problem is that when they go back to their roots everyone is quick to shout "SHAMELESS CASH IN SPINOFF" like with The 4 Warriors of Light, or Final Fantasy IV: The After Years. Also, regarding FFXIII-2, the developers have already stated they're taking criticisms made to XIII heavily into XIII-2's development, so I really don't think it's missable. With the information availiable now, XIII-2 sounds more FF-like than XIII.
Nobody says that lol. 4 warriors of Light was not good. They're trying to change their system too much in terms of gameplay and battle. They always try to add one little new thing, but there is nothing wrong with having different games use the same gameplay and battle. Also, it's good that they're taking the bad things from XIII and fixing them in XIII-2, it really is. But what's to say that they'll actually go through with it and make it better?

The titles are there, you're just not looking hard enough.

That's not my problem, that's their fault on the lack of advertising. Especially when they don't really show anything much at E3, and they don't provide a whole lot of information in magazines or anything. That's their fault, not the readers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat