(speculation) Paper Mario 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by granville, Mar 29, 2010.

Mar 29, 2010
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Well i was thinking how a 3D gimmick could work for specific games. And the first game that really hit me was Paper Mario. The reason should be obvious- the popup book-esque look and feel of the game. When you play it, you feel like you've entered a popup book. So i feel they could really enhance that style with a 3D-effect. Make the elements pop out at you even more than they already do. The only other game i thought of with that style was Yoshi's Story, but i don't think many people liked that. [​IMG]

Thoughts? I think it could work if Nintendo ever decided to bring it portable. DS could already handle a port of the N64 version, so i imagine whatever hardware was in the 3DS could do it nicely! Am i alone in this?

2. bmaster154

Newcomer bmaster154 Advanced Member

Canada
    I actually would buy this. As soon as it came out. Bringing the best Mario games (in my opinion) to hand held? A dream came to life! [​IMG]

3. dan80315

Member dan80315 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if it launched with the game to show off it's 3D feature.

4. granville
    OP

United States
    I know i started this topic and all, but i'm going to go ahead and say that although it would be one of the most logical choices and should be made, it probably won't. Seems that they keep the Paper Mario series on consoles and Mario and Luigi on handhelds. It would surprise me if it WERE a launch title, or even be made at all.

5. davidsl_128

Member davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Colombia
    Well I always thought there'd be a Super Paper Mario DS, so it'd be cool if a 3DS one was made.

6. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    Wouldn't Super Mario Galaxy be a better option than paper mario.

7. granville
    OP

United States
    I chose Paper Mario specifically because it was instantly something that would fit like a glove to the 3D effect. The graphics are already designed in a popup-book style manner. To have those elements pop out at you from the screen would really enhance the overall style.

Sure, Galaxy would be cool on a handheld and in 3D. But i'm somewhat doubtful that they'd make the system as powerful as the Wii and capable of playing Galaxy in its current state. Of course, i don't claim to know the 3DS specs, but i doubt it will be more powerful than Gamecube. Mario Sunshine had trouble running even on the Gamecube, i doubt they could have made Mario Galaxy for Gamecube without the graphics and framerate suffering a lot... But again though, making hasty generalizations here. For all we know, maybe Sunshine wasn't programmed as well as it could have been. And maybe the 3DS WILL be able to handle it.

I just feel that the 3D effect would work better and more naturally for Paper Mario. Since popup books in real life pop out at you, Paper Mario would be the natural choice to me. Few games have used that style too, Yoshi's Story being the only game i can think of off hand (and it wasn't very well loved).

8. Snorlax

Member Snorlax POSTMODERNISM

Australia
    It would be a great choice for a title, but I doubt it would ever be released. [​IMG]

9. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    It would be great!

I doubt the 3D technology will work as we imagine, though. Paper Mario seems great now but until we know how the 3D tech works, all we can do is speculate.

10. mrfatso

Member mrfatso That guy!!

Singapore
    i wish they do release a paper mario 3DS, it will be so cool, and awesome [​IMG]

11. Porobu

Member Porobu Gbatemps Shiny Latias

Spain
    Yes that would be great

12. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales

[​IMG]

13. Makar

Member Makar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I agree, the 3D tech would be amazing for Paper Mario. But as you said in a later post, Mario & Luigi are already in charge of the Mario RPG for handhelds.

14. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    would be nice if someone did a mock up to show what you think paper Mario would look in 3d and

It would be sweet to have it on a hand held period.

15. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    Nintendo always say that they don't think about new hardware until the programmer comes to them with something the current hardware can't do.

I think Paper Mario 3D was one of those ideas.