Speculation on new dashboard update

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Blue Zoidberg, Aug 7, 2009.

Aug 7, 2009
  1. Blue Zoidberg
    OP

Member Blue Zoidberg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So was announced last month that there's going to be a new update Monday Aug 10.
    Any speculation that this will bring a new flood of bans?

2. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Maybe, maybe not, MS can be so random [​IMG]

just as a side note, there isn't anyway to update the Dashboard unless your connect to Live right ?

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I already got the exclusive preview dashboard update

its mostly the same shit for the most part
    only big difference imo is game installs are reduced
    in game menu's dont lag as much as they did or just doing stuff in the dash board

my results for installed games

oblivion
    before - 6.7GB
    after - 5.9GB

CoD4
    before - 6.7GB
    after - 6.5GB

fallout 3
    before - 5.9GB
    after - 5.5GB

GTAIV
    before - 6.8GB
    after - 6.5GB

GHIII
    before - 3.4GB
    after - 3.4GB

beautiful katmari
    before - 3.4GB
    after - 2.7GB

burnout paradise
    before - 3.4GB
    after - 2.8GB

orange box
    before - 4.7GB
    after - 3.9GB

4. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    How did you get an exclusive preview of the new dash update?

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  6. Santee

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    Yea I signed up for it to and the only diffrences are basiclly name changes and more of M$ trying to make more money.

7. Lakerfanalways

Member Lakerfanalways GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Does the new update affect the mod at all or does it have nothing to do with it

8. CheatingSoi

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    I have the new update. I think its stupid to have a preview program for this. This is seriously nothing more than a minor update. The NXE was worth the preview program but most defiantly not this.

9. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    dont know, so far working fine

but check first online on aug.11 to confirm they didnt role out a banwave with the official update

10. Lakerfanalways

United States
    Did the dashboard update get released yet? I am waiting to hear responses from those who have gotten it to see if it does anything to the mod..just want to be sure before I update myself

11. upbumpo190

Member upbumpo190 GBAtemp Regular

France
    Actually, it came out last night (Aug. 10th) but only received it today in Europe. As stated earlier, better game rips, but I also noticed that the in-game Live Menu is snappier (loads up faster), and the overall Dashboard performance sped up a bit too. It's barely noticeable to the average user, but I'm a neat + speed freak, I have to have everything as fast as it can go, and as clean as possible. (Same goes for PC - 1.6Ghz to 3.0Ghz)

Something else to add, if you use Netflix on your 360, MS also issued an update to it (funny thing is, I'm running a PAL 360 tunneled through a US IP, the Netflix app is region free, just not the service). HD and SD titles are separated, you can browse the countless movies without switching on your pc, and loading times are much faster, and quality much better.

But of course, I don't know how this will affect modders out there (I doubt there is a ban wave unless there is proof of new copy-checks) as I don't have the guts to take apart my 360, I just bought it (I've done it before, but I usually wait a while).

Christian

12. Lakerfanalways

United States
    Yeah, all the extra stuff with the dashboard update I am not concerned about..I just want to make sure that if I play my burned games, that it will not ban me from XBOX Live(I have a silver account) I already use abgx to verify the games before I burn them..but I was reading that maybe microsoft did something with this update to block burned games so I just wanted to be sure before I updated

13. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Yeah we got it today in the UK quicker and more PAID CONTENT added such as Full Games on demand along with paid content for Avatars such as clothing and accessories yet more money for BILLY GATES's fund! [​IMG]

There's also the talk of Achievement prize content for your Avatars ..ie win an Achievement in certain games and unlock an outfit/accessory etc like you do in PSN games and Disk based games on PS3 [​IMG]

14. Lakerfanalways

United States
    So this does not affect the mod at all, we can still play the burned games that we have??

15. Chalky94

Newcomer Chalky94 Member

United Kingdom
    Do not update!!!!! it is very dangerous and it kills the chance of homebrew. Google free360 its the project on getting homebrew on the xbox360 and they have the hack and are releasing it soon, but the new update patches the hole. The update patches the boot thing and if there is a fault when updating your xbox with never work again google xbox scene aswell and read about it

16. upbumpo190

Member upbumpo190 GBAtemp Regular

France
    Well, take the Wii for example: ninty released 4.0 with SD direct loading support, along with new copy-protection mesures and fixed the twilight hack for good. The new dashboard supports something similar, downloading full games to your hard drive which means new updated DRM modules (if there are any), etc... (protection so we won't eventually rip them)... blah blah blah....

If I were someone with a flashed 360, I would play it safe, wait a month or two until someone does some legitimate tests, and or a new "iXtreme" firmware comes out. Microsoft likes to log your activity, so I wouldn't risk it.

17. Lakerfanalways

United States
    Ok sounds good..I mean its not required to update right..I will just wait to get some more info to make sure its Ok to do this

18. Chalky94

Newcomer Chalky94 Member

United Kingdom
    You have to update if you want to use live but i can wait a few days for homebrew on the 360

19. Lakerfanalways

United States
    So if I burn a game, and put it in the xbox 360, and it asks me to update the game, it will update the dashboard as well?

20. Chalky94

Newcomer Chalky94 Member

United Kingdom
    No the update isnt in the iso its from microsoft. The updates in games are for games. Unless you havent got the NXE update cos that update are in the new games.