Hacking Spectre exploit possible through webkit?

Thatguywhotriedwuphax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Spectre affects modern CPUs, such as those found in the PS4, which gives applications access to normally inaccessible areas of memory.

If a WebKit exploit is found that can take advantage of this bug, there is a possibility that code in the hypervisor can be accessed and dumped somewhere, where new exploits could use bugs in this code to trick the hypervisor into thinking that the software is legit.

Probably pointless babble. But I wanted to give my (probably dumb) idea to this community.

Last edited by Thatguywhotriedwuphax,
Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It’s not about webkit exploits taking advantage of this bug.

If you think about it we have webkit exploits that work up to 7.02.

It’s: if it can be adapted to work as part of the exploit chain (at all) on PS4 hardware.

Reactions: Hayato213

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
hopefully one day an unpatchable exploit will be found that allows homebrew to run that isn't internet dependent, or we can get a leaked fake-signing tool like the PS3 has, to run homebrew from USB as legit games and apps.

aranwarez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
hopefully one day an unpatchable exploit will be found that allows homebrew to run that isn't internet dependent, or we can get a leaked fake-signing tool like the PS3 has, to run homebrew from USB as legit games and apps.
Once people are no longer interested in PS4 it will happen.

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If a WebKit exploit is found that can take advantage of this bug, there is a possibility that code in the hypervisor can be accessed and dumped somewhere, where new exploits could use bugs in this code to trick the hypervisor into thinking that the software is legit.

I'm probably nitpicking, but from what I know the PS4 has no hypervisor, all security relies on kernel integrity...

If you instead meant using the "meltdown/specter" class vulnerabilities against the secure enclave (SAMU) well, according to someone of the scene SAMU was already defeated, but I'm in no position to say if they are trolling or also if it has the same branch prediction defects found on Intel CPUs and if it could be exploited.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end