Speakers for Laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Elfeckin, Oct 21, 2008.

Oct 21, 2008

Speakers for Laptop by Elfeckin at 4:28 PM (889 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Elfeckin
    OP

Member Elfeckin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ok so i was curious...i have this laptop that i use to watch movies from...HD mkv rips, avi's with ac3 audio,and dvds with dolby etc....now my question is...can i buy a set of 5.1 surround sound speakers (logitech or creative) and get surround sound out of them? or will it just output 2.1? anyone ever done this and if so how and what do i need=) i used to have a surround sound setup in my old house and i miss it so...and the latop is a sony vaio vgn-fz240e if thats needed...thanks =^D

2. BiscuitBee

Member BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Canada
    Well, without looking into the specs of your laptop model, most laptops have two audio jacks: Mic and Headphone.

5.1 speakers usually come with three jacks (front, rear, center). You would probably want to plug in your front into the headphone jack. That gives you 2.1 (the .1 is the sub, of course).

Anyway, you could probably get an external sound card for your laptop. I'm sure there are some USB ones out there and hopefully even some PCMCIA ones.

I have zero experience with either of these products, but I do know some people who use them! Good luck [​IMG]

3. Elfeckin
    OP

Member Elfeckin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    thanks for the advise...i think im going to go with a creative usb 5.1 dongle...and a logitech x-540 type setup...i think that should do the trick...unless anyone has any other suggestions for a set of 5.1 surround sound speakers for a bedroom =^) price range $50-$80us or so