Sound issues

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Shikkichu, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Shikkichu
    OP

Shikkichu Just a Pika Girl~

Jan 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Wherever my Pikachu is.
    I'm completely at a loss here, none of my front audio ports or back ones are working, they just stopped (keep in mind I don't have a soundcard, just onboard) *I did order a crap usb adapter for now, however.. I'm still confused*

I plug the stuff in and the weird part is, it detects them as plugged in, yet headset mic doesn't get picked up, no sound plays through them or my desktop speakers or normal headphones yet it can tell that it's all plugged in

I've tried the following with no luck
    * Checked all software, reinstalled drivers etc.
    * Rolled back a few weeks to when the system worked fine
    * Unplugged absolutely everything and basically rebuilt my tower to make sure every wire is seated properly
    * Created a bootable usb with some random Ubuntu build, still no sound

I can play sound through my gpu/hdmi with my tv so I don't think software is an issue afaik, I don't think it's a power issue as it's still technically detected but I don't know it's a 750watt psu that's really only just powering basic stuff like my mobo and old dedicated gpu, other than that I don't have anything extra etc.

Anyone got any ideas or am I just screwed? xD
    I want helpful suggestions, not just "Pick up a pci soundcard" xmx

2. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I think this is a common issue with an easy fix, but you'll probably have to do a couple things to figure out what went wrong.

By chance, did you try installing an older game?
    Grandia II knocked my sound out when I ran it in XP compatibility mode.
    I had to do a few things in MMC. Also had to mess around with realtek.
    ----
    You might have to change some things in reg. edit; don't know what your situation is.

Last edited by H1B1Esquire, Feb 13, 2017
  3. Shikkichu
    OP

Jan 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Wherever my Pikachu is.
    Only thing I cant think of, whhich I really don't want to believe, sound card fried, but if that were the case it wouldn't show up when things get plugged in right?

4. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    It's possible, but highly unlikely. If you have a lot of free space, create another user profile on your system and see if the issues remain.
    -----
    Don't know if the bootable USB of UB has everything included or what your OS is, but if you're running Windows, I'd say definitely make a separate account to mess around and keep a list of what you change and the result.

5. Shikkichu
    OP

Jan 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Wherever my Pikachu is.
    I tried from a new user account, nothing, it still detects sound as usual, but all I can hear is a high pitched screech from my speakers and headset, even with a video playing, I hear none of it, but the soundcard picks it up

6. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I think you may have hit the truth. You're not an idiot; with everything you've done so far, it's safe to say its seen better days. Although, did you create a new account with your original OS or through the USB of UB?

7. Shikkichu
    OP

Jan 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Wherever my Pikachu is.
    original os, made the user account, did a complete bios reset as well in case maybe something wonky changed, I just don't wanna spend money and was hoping for a way to solve e.e Though I also don't want to play games silently, so I think I know which one wins that battle ;w;

8. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Thought your sound still plays when you connect it via HDMI?
    ----
    Forgot, did you run varying tests? Like systems sounds, things that run sound (webpages), games, etc? Did you also try stopping/restarting sound processes?

9. Shikkichu
    OP

Jan 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Wherever my Pikachu is.
    It does, however my monitor has no speakers built in, just my tv which I only moved briefly to test xmx

10. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Try rolling back to an older driver, sometimes newer drivers really break compatibility. Let Windows do it, don't explicitly install from Realtek.

11. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    you can turn down the volume or even mute devices by their own so maybe have a look into the "playback settings?" In your windows

Hearing a screeching sound probably really means that the sound part of your main board has some issues.
    The above mentioned drivers could be a thing even.though I'd probably look for new chipset drivers instead of rolling back

Last edited by Youkai, Feb 13, 2017
  12. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    That's probably the extent I can think of right now. I feel like there's another solution to this besides a crap card, but can you repeat what you were doing last when you noticed your sound was broken on the new account?

13. Shikkichu
    OP

Jan 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Wherever my Pikachu is.
    Compiling an application I was building for my 3ds, went to sleep, woke up, poof
    Though I recall ages ago the psu dying, causing the fan to discharge and singed the surrounding area a tiny bit, so maybe it finally decided it's done? idk

I already tried this ;w;

14. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I guess the high-pitched screeching was from it being blown out. It's not all bad; better you lost your onboard sound than your data or whole mobo. You can still use your TV, too.

15. Shikkichu
    OP

Jan 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Wherever my Pikachu is.
    True, I don't touch anything onboard anyway, well except my usb 3.0 ports xD
    My usb sound thingy says its shipped so idk when it'll be here, to hold me over until I can get a dedicated sound card.. any suggestions?

16. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    It's all relative. I don't know how much you've got running already or how intense your workload is, but if your PSU burnt once and you replaced it, I guess you've got a decent unit now. I'd probably get something mid-range by ASUS until you get a better rig. Of course, if you have a really good surround sound speaker layout with bass, subwoofer, in a really good room, dive in on those $150.00+ cards. As long as they fit.

If you're using non-studio headphones, I'd still go with ASUS card at mid-range $45.00-$70.00. Also don't know how your gaming sessions go or if you need headphones like Turtlebeach, but I'd really just hold off until fall when Black Friday sends retailers into sell-mode.