Soul Calibur V announced

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, May 11, 2011.

May 11, 2011
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    If you're a fan of giant swords then prepare to get excited as Soul Calibur V has been officially announced by Namco Bandai. Developed by Project Soul, Soul Calibur V will be released on X360 and PS3 in 2012.

The latest instalment of the weapon-based fighter will be set 17 years after the events of Soul Calibur IV, and will follow Patroklos, son of Sophitia Alexendra, whose "family destiny intertwines with the Soul swords."

Promising a refined battle system and improved graphics, Namco has said more details, including footage of the newly refined gameplay, will be revealed at E3.
    [/p]

Source

inb4 OMG PLEASE NO STAR WARS CHARACTERS. Although they were a bit overpowered, that's mainly why people wouldn't want them.

Anyway, I remember playing the shit out of SCII as a kid. Still own a copy and I love it. I've been playing a bit of SC: BD for the PSP and it's still fun as ever. This generation's getting shit tons of fighters!

2. PyroSpark

Member PyroSpark GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Personally, I loved Starkiller and Vader. >_>

3. MakiManPR

Banned MakiManPR Banned

Puerto Rico
    plz a Wii2 version with Link in it again

4. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    I just hope they don't spend all their money on gimmicky characters leaving none to develop any sort of story. Seriously, SC4 was a joke. We need something more than online play and a feeble character creator. For a start most people used that character creator to make anime characters then battled them online with other anime characters. The number of videos along the lines of 'OMG Cloud VS Sephiroth in SC4!!!111' on Youtube is truly staggering.

5. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal

THIS!!! THIS!!!!

After Soul Calibur 2, i just lost interest... i tried playing SC3 but the gameplay was horrible imo, same thing with SC4... i feel the game lost it's charm after SC2.

6. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    Before reading this article I'd just stopped playing 2 on the GC, and I totally agree. And I agree 2 was the best so far. Even my none gaming friends loved that one and can't stand 3 and 4. Even if they can't put their fingers on why.

7. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Most of the games lose their charm once they start taking the sequel path. Some do stand out, but most of them die down. SC V on the other hand, lets wait and see what's in stores in for us.

8. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    I too played the shit out of SC II (even have the original copy)

as long as there will be boobs and ass's to look at im in for this one [​IMG]

9. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    +1 This.

10. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well, Namco's been pretty friendly with Capcom lately. Maybe we'll see Dante or some other crossover character. I wasn't huge on SCIV, and I didn't like 3 at all (other than the awesome KOS-MOS get up

11. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I wonder if it'll have the Pink Panther.

12. MakiManPR

Banned MakiManPR Banned

Puerto Rico
  13. Arshes91

Member Arshes91 GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    WOOOOOOOOOOOW O MY GOD S.S.Soul Calibur 5? I love you Namco-Bandai

14. MakiManPR

Banned MakiManPR Banned

Puerto Rico
    Eurogamer broke the story this morning with the first set of details about Soul Calibur V.

"Namco Bandai has lifted the lid on Soulcalibur V at its press event in Dubai this morning.

The game, set 17 years after Soulcalibur IV, features guest characters, Project Soul producer Hisaharu Tago told Christian Donlan for Eurogamer.

The main character is Patroklos, son of Sophitia. Patroklos is "inspired" by the gameplay of Sophitia, but is "sharper" and "more agile". He has new moves, but they're all inspired by Sophitia's.

V takes the Siegried ending of IV and builds upon it. Seigfried, now 39 years old, no longer wields the Soul Calibur sword.

V is described as a "generational shift", complete with new characters, but SCIV characters will return. "SC 1-4 was a continuous story," Tago said. "We want to make a generational shift with a new story this time."

The Soulcalibur series is famous for the inclusion of characters from other universes, such as Link from The Legend of Zelda and Yoda from Star Wars. Will other non-Soulcalibur characters feature?

"Difficult question," Tago said. "We will have guest characters as we did with Star Wars. Please stay tuned for more information on that."

V marks a shift from two-handed swords to short swords, Tago announced. The story includes "the enigma as to why the swords have become short swords".

The game's new fighting style is described as "lighter, sharper, and more elegant". The online mode has been improved with new features. "Gameplay in IV could be a little heavy, particularly when you were online – we wanted gameplay that was more fast and reactive," Tago said.

On the shift in gameplay: "Maybe the hardcore fans will be afraid that we lose the core of the gameplay, but that's not the case. And for new players it's nice to have gameplay that is more continuous – you don't need to wait as much between moves.

"There is quite some change in the gameplay from SCIV. The pace of the game has been improved, and the combos will be easier to perform, and the moves will be easier to pull out."

Elsewhere, Tago confirmed the create a character feature from previous games in the series returns, but refused to divulge details.

Namco Bandai is yet to show actual gameplay, but promised more information at E3 next month."

Huge thanks to Eurogamer for the news! With the game being shown at E3, you can expect a full report from Shoryuken.com.

Source

15. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Taki in red suit from Soul Calibur II .... [​IMG]

lol.

16. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if they do console exclusives like Kratos for the PS3 version (he was in SC: BD after all) and, I don't know, Master Chief or something for the Xbox version.

I'm not gonna include a Project Cafe guess since I doubt it'll be on there.

17. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    I really hope Talim has gotten a couple of years older. The age difference when 2 came out wasn't too bad, but I've being feeling like a dirty old man ever since 3...

18. Fellow

Member Fellow GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Dante for both 360 and PS3 versions.