Gaming Soul Bubbles, why did it get 12+ rating?

4ppleseed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi y'all,
I've bought Soul Bubbles for my 10 year old niece for Xmas. The Euro version is a 12+

gt3300.png

And the USA version an E

gt3693.png

Can anyone here whose played and/or finished this game tell me why they may think it was given a 12+ rating.

Would be very helpful, thanks
yaynds.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
4ppleseed said:
Hi y'all,
I've bought Soul Bubbles for my 10 year old niece for Xmas. The Euro version is a 12+
And the USA version an E

Can anyone here whose played and/or finished this game tell me why they may think it was given a 12+ rating.

Would be very helpful, thanks
yaynds.gif

Because the rating system is incredibly broken and really shouldn't exist, just a "Parental Advisory" for anything explicit.

It should also say on the box/in the manual (usually the first/second page) as to why it's rated 12.

Oh, whoops. There's a picture system most of the time. Should be a key in the manual somewhere, then pictures on the box. If there is nothing, then it means the game is totally safe but for some reason didn't get a 3+ rating.

Also, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops Plus got a "12" rating from PEGI. What does that tell you about the rating system? Broken.

Edit:

Olol, it's probably because the little guy is naked on the box art.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
There's a lot of blood, gore and violence in this game. I wouldn't recommend playing it, because it's really sickening. You won't be able to sleep at night.

Nah, not really. I played this game, and there was nothing wrong with it for a 10 years old kid. Actually, there are a lot of games which are rated completely different by different organizations. Take Conker's Bad Fur Day: the European box says it's rated 15+, 16+, 17+ and 18+...

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maikel Steneker said:
There's a lot of blood, gore and violence in this game. I wouldn't recommend playing it, because it's really sickening. You won't be able to sleep at night.

This, coming from a gentleman with a Saw figurehead as his avy LOL

On topic: I'm leaning more towards the "broken ratings system" reason as well. I mean, unless you haven't gotten to the giant penis-boss that cums in closer to the end of the game.
(HAH see what i did there?! WINZ!)

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you think the European system is broken the CERO Japanese Rating System has been broken for years. Its even getting worse now with games such as Dead Space being rated Z for Adults Only, that game deserved a D rating in Japan.

D

Deleted User

Japanese Rating system?

Look at the black thing. It's censored.

NSFW BELOW!

hentai_censurado.jpg

This world is rotten.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Law said:
Olol, it's probably because the little guy is naked on the box art.
laugh.gif

I was about to post that as the reason, until I saw that it was in fact the European version that's rated 12+. And I've been like LOLWUT ever since. The American rating system is usually a lot more squeamish when it comes to nudity.

Maybe it's the whole premise. I see dead people. Dunno.

Or maybe the rating system is just broken
ph34r.gif

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
According to the PEGI website, it's due to the violent content of the game.
huh.gif
Yeah...

Or maybe it's cause the whole idea that souls have to be guided in a bubble goes against the belief of God-fearing European Christians.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
maby its the cutting off frogs tongues in the game to stop em hindering your progress!?

(note the game has cartoon graphics and does not look scarey or offensive
smile.gif
)

or maby because it has fire in the game ?!

maby its the whole SOUL thing about the game !?

not sure but I let my kids play it with no worries at all .... but don't let kids anywhere near the IMAGINE series of games they are horrific and brain numbingly boring etc etc

oh and cooking mamma could be a no no due to PETA having issues with virtualised cartoon catering !?

all in all as above the PEGI ratings are messed up bigtime there seems to be no logic in the ratings scheme as well as its DIFFERENT in different parts of the world whats to stop someone just ..

a) Importing it as there are no regional restrictions on the DS

or

b) Using a flashcard and bypassing buying the game and its ratings ....

finally yes before anyone points out why not use a flash card ...

Its perfectly fine and OK to buy original games or get them in bundles for presents ... copies/backups/downloads just don't cut it as good gifts for birthdays and Christmas etc!

Spider-Girl

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maikel Steneker said:
Actually, there are a lot of games which are rated completely different by different organizations. Take Conker's Bad Fur Day: the European box says it's rated 15+, 16+, 17+ and 18+...

I know what you're saying. I have that same issue with my Silent Hill: Homecoming for PS3. The box says M, but I think that it should say E.
rofl2.gif

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
UltraMagnus said:
the original command and conquer had a 18+ rating, what does this tell you?

its not just broken, its completely FUBAR
So did Red Alert 1. Game (and movie) rating used to be a lot stricter than it is now though. If it were rerated now I'd probably get less.

4ppleseed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your thoughts guys, you've put my mind to rest. The game is sealed so I can't look at the manual but I'm guessing it's 'simulated violence and elfs in nuddies' that's tipping the rating. I'm sure she won't even notice.

Thanks y'all.

BiscuitCookie

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Chrono_Tata said:
UltraMagnus said:

So did Red Alert 1. Game (and movie) rating used to be a lot stricter than it is now though. If it were rerated now I'd probably get less.
You know that to those rating are in Germany
In the netherlands it is 16+

On Topic: maybe they gave it 12+ for difficulty or because the ratings are just broken as already stated

acidonia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Soul Bubbles is prefectly family freindly just Pegi Rated it very wrong.

The Pegi ratings are sometimes are rather wrong or plain stupid heres a few real examples of how random their ratings can be.

Street of Rage Trilogy Virtual Console rating 7+ Street of Rage 2 XBLA 12+
Metal Slug Antholgy Psp 16+ Ps2 and Wii 12+ (All are Identical)
Ps2 Ys Ark Of Napishtim(Probally Spelt that wrong) 7+ for violence and Scary Scenes Psp version 12+ for Swearing although the swearing is in Ps2 version as well.
Sonic Rush Adventure Ds 12+ due to the fact the Racoon girl says bugger a few times.
Miss Pac man XBLA Version 7+ for Violence.
Tatio Arcade legends 1 and 2 both get a 7+ Yet Namco Museum Ps2 and Psp get 12+ Just for the Rather Tame Rolling Thunder.
Bomber Man Live XBLA 12+
XBOX live ARCADE COOMPLIATION DISC pegi rating 7+ yet all the games on the Disc are rated 3+ they gave it a 7+ ratibg because of the surfs up demo which the retail version of that game was rated 3+.

Pegi just seem to rate any game that you fight any humans automatcaly 12+ thats why games clearly aimed more at kids like Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles get rated 12+ even one power ranger game got rated 12+ on the Gba. I do find it funny that Ps2 Altred beast only got a 12+ when its far more bloody and violent than alot of 16+ and 18+ games. The BBFC ratings are userly lower for games than the pegi ones but even BBFC do silly raing I mean a 12 BBFC rating for the wii The Grim adventures of Billy and Mandy game that just way to high for that game.

Earl

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I played this game, and now i have not slept in 3 days... it was..aaa. it was too grotesque to even mention. Also dont want to be banned for obscene language. trust me this game should have a 30+ rating.

Or maybe the rating system is just fubar
ph34r.gif

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Dj-Biscuit said:
Chrono_Tata said:
UltraMagnus said:

You know that to those rating are in Germany
In the netherlands it is 16+
Britain, actually.

If it were Germany the blood would probably have been outright censored.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/zzu0VHzy7tU?si=V2sI-JSptJg0SWmC