Sorry for this stupid question... but..

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by xGRUMPYx, Aug 15, 2011.

Aug 15, 2011
  1. xGRUMPYx
    OP

Newcomer xGRUMPYx Advanced Member

United States
    just bought an xbox 360, its one of the original white ones, my question is... can the xbox search for access points?? what i mean is i want to connect on the xbox with a wireless internet.

2. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    Oddly enough by itself it cant...it needs a wireless network adapter [​IMG]

Here's one (you can probably find one cheaper elsewhere)

3. Chikaku-chan

Member Chikaku-chan ᏁᎽᎪ~

Australia
    I bought mine for $155.... [​IMG]

4. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    And I could have told where to get cheaper too lol xD

5. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    I got mine for $100 and the new xbox 360's have them built in [​IMG]

6. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Just a thought, but if you have a Laptop with a Wireless card you could bridge the connection with your Xbox 360 in order to give it access to the internet. The only downfall is that the laptop has to stay connected to your Xbox 360 via ethernet cable.

7. 4-leaf-clover

Member 4-leaf-clover SHSL LUCKSTER :/

Netherlands
    lol i buyed a bundle that had 800 m points, 3 months gold, and a network adapter for like 60 euros.
    the bundle was cheaper then the adapter itself.

8. Chikaku-chan

Member Chikaku-chan ᏁᎽᎪ~

Australia
    The other downfall is the NAT type is strict all the time.
    Plus gets laggy at times.
    (I used to do this)

9. badbob

Member badbob Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    If you want a wireless adaptor, I would seriously consider getting something like a Netgear WNCE2001. This can make any Ethernet port wireless, whereas the official Xbox one will only work on Xboxes. You never know when you might need it for something else, I've had one for years and used it on a load of different devices, it's been well worth the money.

10. kaputnik

Member kaputnik GBAtemp Regular

Sweden

You could do the same thing with an OpenWRT and/or DD-WRT compatible router in client mode. That tends to work a lot better stability wise than doing it by bridging connections in Windows. I've used it a few times to connect different network segments to each other over a wireless link, and once it's configured, you never have to touch it again.

As for hardware, I'd go for a WRT54GL, it's tried and true. You should be able to get one of those dirt cheap at Ebay, or if you rather want a new one, that shouldn't set you back too much either. They're ~350 SEK (~50 USD) in Sweden, and everything is a lot more expensive here than in the US. In other case, there are plenty of other alternatives: DD-WRT compatible devices, OpenWRT compatible devices. Perhaps you already have something you can use, collecting dust somewhere?

Installing one of the aforementioned third party firmwares isn't harder than downloading the firmware image for your model, and installing it from the router's web interface, just as you would with an official firmware update. There are a few exceptions where the procedure is a bit more complicated, but those are rare. Once you got the firmware installed, connect the Xbox to the router by ethernet, set the router's wifi to client mode and configure the networking from the web interface, and then you're good to go. Google for a guide if you can't figure out how to go about the configuration yourself, I'm sure there are plenty of those around [​IMG]