Hacking Sorgs Uniiloader - Universal Backup Loader with USB/SD/DVD-Support

drmarvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seeing that video, it looks very nice and simple. Easy to use, and I'm sure that the graphical pros could easily make it pretty, but simple is also good, like the XBox replacement dashboards.

Looking at integrating things, has anyone worked out how to launch installed WADs without the System Menu? This would obviously be important if we were trying to create a replacement for the System Menu. Data and Channel management would also be an issue, of course, but I guess you could jump into the SM for that.

Just curious about the WADs at thins point, although I can't code worth crap, so I wouldn't be a lot of help. I guess I'm more of an ideas guy.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Running installed WADs (or any other installed channels) is easy. Off the top of my head I know fs_browser can do it, I assume there's other homebrew apps that can do it too.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think it would be really hard. But I'd rather see a way to store VC/Wiiware games in a WBFS partition and run them from there (not installing them onto the NAND as needed like SM 4.0 does).

drmarvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree that it would be great to be able to do that. I don't know if there would be a way to map the WBFS drive section with the installed VC/Wiiware so the Wii would think it was either part of the NAND or part of the SD card. I think that the issue will only be resolved if we can figure out how to directly install to removable storage, and then be able to launch without the SM.

I could be wrong about how things work, but I think there are a few things that could be done with a replacement system menu (run by preloader/bootmii.

Skyzoboy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
- Wads install (full/simple and 16/9 4/3)
- Simple and pretty interface
- Easy-to-use
- Full of functionnality (install/add/remove/rename/language/resolution/save configuration ...)
- USB/SD/DVD loader in one

There is no cover, spinning disc, but it do what I want, launch games quickly
biggrin.gif

This version is impressive
biggrin.gif
I adopt it for the moment
wink.gif

BenJeremy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...and so it starts, the GUI wars have begun.

Nice features, and people will be clamoring for more. It's the original Xbox scene all over again. Evolution-X started that scene with a launcher and FTP server, and set the bar for those of us who ventured in later. I had the first "open source" menu system, and yes, it did quite a bit, including an FTP service - without help from the evolution-x guys, I might add.

I see the Wii GUI scene eventually coming up with built in wad installation, data management, and a homebrew browser built in, as well.

Keep in mind, guys, that this is an important time to set up some standards. The WBFS has some wiggle room to expand beyond just a storage system for ISOs, and the scene is long past due for somebody to inegrate all of these functions into a single, unified app.

drmarvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree with BenJeremy

I'm not sure that the FTP would be necessary, but it wouldn't hurt. Of course, if there was a way to load games onto the WBFS over the network, so I wouldn't have to disconnect the drive to dump, since the computer is downstairs.

There is just so much potential now. I have been looking at the source for Homebrew Launcher, but I seriously know very little about C/C++ so I'm way out of my league, even to understand the code that someone else has written.

If we can get to the functionality of ExolutionX/UnleashX/XBMC, things will be just amazing.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
BenJeremy said:
...and so it starts, the GUI wars have begun.

Nice features, and people will be clamoring for more. It's the original Xbox scene all over again. Evolution-X started that scene with a launcher and FTP server, and set the bar for those of us who ventured in later. I had the first "open source" menu system, and yes, it did quite a bit, including an FTP service - without help from the evolution-x guys, I might add.

I see the Wii GUI scene eventually coming up with built in wad installation, data management, and a homebrew browser built in, as well.

Keep in mind, guys, that this is an important time to set up some standards. The WBFS has some wiggle room to expand beyond just a storage system for ISOs, and the scene is long past due for somebody to inegrate all of these functions into a single, unified app.
The GUI wars started looong time ago already. You're a little too late
wink.gif
. I think all these GUIs avaiable now are nothing against that what Hibern will bring up. After that, I think all the GUIs must add features en masse, otherwise CoverFlow/Cooliris/whatever he makes will rock all away...
tongue.gif

About WBFS: I think it's already too late to expand it...to gain the new features, a reformat would be required, causing all games to be deleted...guess some people wouldn't like this
wink.gif
. I think somewhere is a discussion about WBFS+, which goal is to add more functions...but it's pretty quiet there...

And now something to the Topic, so it isn't that Off-Topic:
Good work, now only WAD-Loading and we won't need the Systemmenu
wink.gif

BenJeremy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
drmarvin said:
I agree with BenJeremy

I'm not sure that the FTP would be necessary, but it wouldn't hurt. Of course, if there was a way to load games onto the WBFS over the network, so I wouldn't have to disconnect the drive to dump, since the computer is downstairs.

There is just so much potential now. I have been looking at the source for Homebrew Launcher, but I seriously know very little about C/C++ so I'm way out of my league, even to understand the code that someone else has written.

If we can get to the functionality of ExolutionX/UnleashX/XBMC, things will be just amazing.

Yeah, no need for an FTP server, for the Wii... for the Xbox world, it was the way people uploaded homebrew to the xbox drive and ripped Xbox games. We didn't have SD slots to take advantage of, heh. We also tried to manage the stuff that the original dashboard handled, since we basically superceded it.

I also released my own "preloader" for the Xbox, X-Select, which allowed users to select the dashboard based on gamepad buttons, if they didn't want the default to load up (or call up a menu to select or configure the tool).

I just think that these loaders will evolve into a general replacement for the Wii's system menu - for most functionality.

I realize nobody has done it yet, since it hasn't been needed.... but can homebrew devs access the channels to display the animations and launch them like the system menu? I would think that once they do that, the system menu becomes fair game for a full-blown replacement - especially with Bootmii on the horizon.

Gamii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Amazing, I hope this becomes the start of a total menu replacement someday.

Are you considering merging it with GUI Loader and becoming part of the project? Think about it and please discuss it with them, the more developers working in the same codebase and collaboration the better. That's what makes Open Source so great, I think homebrew must go to that way and john forces.

It's a nice idea that I started to think why nobody did it before. Thanks a lot for making it possible.

About eye candy VS sure functional, people has different likings. I believe GUI Loader will have advanced skinning features, changing from minimalism to pretty Apple-like stuff full nice effects and 3D. I hope so, personalization is liked by most people.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: