Soo.. Need a new phone

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Crimson Ghoul, Jan 11, 2012.

Jan 11, 2012

Soo.. Need a new phone by Crimson Ghoul at 7:43 AM (1,032 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Crimson Ghoul
    OP

Member Crimson Ghoul GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So my contract is up this Feb 25 and I'll be needing a new phone. I already know it's going to be a Samsung phone. There's 2 in mind. I want the Samsung Captivate Glide because of it's full slide out keyboard but it is a galaxy phone with older hardware (1gz tegra 2 dual core). I'm leaning towards the Samsung Skyrocket because it has a 1.5 ghz dualcore and over on xda it has been over clocked to 1.7 and the gpu has also been over clocked. Plus it's bigger, and having the huge ape hands that I have, it is very good. Here's the full specs

Captivate Glide
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_captivate_glide-review-694.php

Skyrocket
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3364

2. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Basically, it comes down to this: how much do you value having that physical keyboard? Is it enough to sacrifice the hardware and phone size?

I'd say go with the Skyrocket. It seems to fit your wants and needs better.

3. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    A hardware keyboard is way better to type on. I'm waiting for a good dual core with a hardware keyboard myself (preferably from HTC)
    Anything but Samsung after the atrocious support they gave for the Spica. It didn't even have all the features that was advertised, and they stopped releasing updates after 6 months.

4. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Older hardware? How fast do you need your phone man? Unless you work in business or Stock Exchange where you need to get the most out of your phone for everything... nvm, just going to shut it.

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I need my phone fast enough to play Crysis on Ultra settings on 1080p HDMI output with a flawless Bluetooth keyboard and mouse simultaneous connection. If it can't do at least that, it's too slow. And I don't care if mobile platforms (Android/iOS) don't support Crysis.

No seriously, it just needs to browse the web. 1 Ghz single core is enough for me.

1 person likes this.
  6. CCNaru

Member CCNaru Warn-free Since 2005

United States
    Do you have LTE in your area? if you do, get Skyrocket. I currently use Skyrocket (been a month) and it's awesome for me (ATL area, I have LTE here) I was looking at Captivate but people did not recommend it. Also, check around for Skyrocket prices - I got mine at Frys for $130 w/ 2yr agreement ($250 at AT&T center). there really aren't cases for Skyrocket, though... I'm importing some from Korea.

If you're willing to wait, though, there was a rumor that Galaxy Nexus will be released for AT&T and T-Mobile so I'd wait a little bit more if you're leaning towards that too.

howardforums.com has good information on cellphones, services and user reviews.