Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Sony's Fiscal Report - $3.17 Billion Loss on Revenue of $87.78 Billion
PlayStation division sees $434 million profit

[tnw=500]http://pix.gbatemp.net/175179/sony_logo_30520_screen.jpg[/tnw]​
Today, Sony announced its earnings for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2011. The results were close to those that had been forecast Monday, with the company suffering a loss for the year of ¥259.6 billion ($3.17 billion) on revenue of ¥7.18 trillion ($87.78 billion). The previous fiscal year, the company lost ¥40.8 billion ($498.59 million) on revenue of ¥7.21 trillion ($88.11 billion).

The PlayStation division swung from big losses to a solid profit last fiscal year.
In its report, Sony said that the biggest factor in the shortfall was the result of a ¥360 billion ($4.4 billion) charge related to deferred tax assets in Japan. The Great East Japan Earthquake was also a factor, as was the fact that sales were down in every division of the corporation save two: the Consumer, Professional & Devices segment, which handles HDTVs and other electronics, and the Networked Products & Services division, which encapsulates Sony Computer Entertainment.

In fact, results were so good at the Networked Products & Services division that Sony credited it with helping bring the company's overall operating income from ¥31.8 billion ($387.94 million) to ¥199.8 billion ($2.44 billion). As for the division itself, it reported ¥35.6 billion ($434.23 million) in operating income, way up from the ¥83.3 billion ($1.01 billion) operating loss it suffered during the previous fiscal year. Overall Networked Products & Services revenue was nearly flat at ¥1.57 trillion ($19.15 billion).

Lowered production costs of the PlayStation 3 were cited as part of the reason for the uptick in Networked Products & Services' operating income. During the year, Sony sold 14.3 million PlayStation 3s, just short of its goal of 15 million, but up from 13 million the year prior. Only 8 million PSPs were sold, down from 9.9 million the year before. Some 6.4 million PlayStation 2s were sold, down from 7.3 million.

Sony also said increased software sales helped its bottom line, and the year saw 147.9 million PS3 games sold, way up from 115.6 million the year before. PSP game sales also climbed from 44.4 million to 46.6 million. However, PS2 games sales nearly halved from 35.7 million to just 16.4 million.[/p]
icon11.gif
Source (Gamespot)

If there's another thread about this, feel free to close.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii said:
Are you serious, Playstation division sees $434 million profit after what happened?
Yes.

This event happened around a month to two before the end of the fiscal year. That isn't even a sixth of the year. This only should have affected a month of the sales, which isn't much compared to the rest of the year. If the PSN crash happened in Christmas, sure it would be bad, but it happened in a couple of not-so-big months.

Also, the PSN thing shouldn't affect PSP or PS2 sales. (people still buy PS2's lol)

As for the financial loss, that's because of the earthquake, not the PSN crash. Remember, they are an electronics company first and foremost, and stationed in Japan. Every company there suffered some financial loss.

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
Valwin said:
QUOTE said:
Sony confirms next-gen console is in development

well remember when they say their console would last 10 years XD

it seem the presure is on
Well don't worry, it will. The PS2 is still selling steadily 11 years after it's release. Just last fiscal year it sold 6.4 million units! No wonder it's the top selling console of all time.
Anyway, I doubt we'll see a released PS4 before 2013/14. That's still 7-8 years after original release! These generations just get longer and longer and...

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
SamAsh07 said:
Hm all I can say is - More to come Sony, buckle up and enjoy the ride
wink.gif
Nearly every company stationed in Japan had losses.

Including Nintendo.

Sony's loss was primarily because of the earthquake, NOT the PSN outage. That was only one month of the fiscal year, and not even a very big month.

If you think about it, Sony's sales are pretty good actually. The PSP's weekly sales are already edging out Ninty's 3DS and DS. Blame the earthquake on their losses.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingdomBlade said:
SamAsh07 said:
wink.gif

Including Nintendo.

Sony's loss was primarily because of the earthquake, NOT the PSN outage. That was only one month of the fiscal year, and not even a very big month.

If you think about it, Sony's sales are pretty good actually. The PSP's weekly sales are already edging out Ninty's 3DS and DS. Blame the earthquake on their losses.
How dare you come in here with your logic and your rational thinking and just ruin fanboy arguments like that!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/index.html has a nice 30 page PDF or three (just to clarify FY 2010 Q4 is for the whole financial year not just the Q4) to look at if you do not fancy Gamespot's analysis- it is actually pretty readable for those that suffer finance induced narcoleptic episodes. As usual though I am indifferent to state of Sony- if they collapsed tomorrow other than the amusement one might derive from watching something big fall over and the nice resulting study on the collapse of such a thing I would not bat an eyelid and vice versa if they did something good for them.

As for next console "confirmed in development" I believe I said it before- if that did not start at the very latest around the time the PS3 release timeframes were announced then Sony deserve to be hammered in the finance world.

Thanks for bring this to my attention KingdomBlade.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
antwill said:
KingdomBlade said:
SamAsh07 said:
wink.gif

Including Nintendo.

How dare you come in here with your logic and your rational thinking and just ruin fanboy arguments like that!
I lol'd.

I get the feeling that Sony isn't going to drop out of the gaming industry any time soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Blah. 3 of my NSO + Expansion Pass family group members are leaving. Found one replacement so far but still need to fill two empty slots. I have 9 days or i eat the extra cost myself. But with a full group $11 for a year is a good deal. imo
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    new ghostbusters was decent, not as good as the previous one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye,
    theres a new ghostbusters?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: