Sony seeks to ID fail0verflow PS3 hackers

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by ciris, Feb 8, 2011.

Feb 8, 2011
  1. ciris
    OP

Member ciris GBAtemp Regular

United States

2. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Christ, I'm pretty sure asking for all this is violating these people's rights somewhere. [​IMG]

3. stanleyopar2000

Member stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

United States
    Sony is really starting to become a douschebag of a company...[​IMG]

4. Giratina3

Member Giratina3 Official Lilac of GBATemp

United Kingdom
    Can they take a hint.
    Sony you have failed.
    You can't win against hackers.
    Because you don't have the powers of Miles Edgeworth or Phoenix Wright on your side.

JESUS CHRIST Can't this die? Although sony is bound to fail.

Hackers will "ALWAYS" win!

5. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    Why, because they're protecting their devices?

EDIT: Fixed grammatical error.

6. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    More like making a better attempt to protecting their system that they made? I mean, if you look at it from a neutral perspective, it'd look like Sony cares more about the PS3 than Nintendo does about the DS and Wii combined.

7. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    This.

I can see why people may get irritated over some of Sony's rash decisions, but what's wrong with going after people that have practically opened your product to piracy? Even if their (the hackers') intents were for homebrew (psh), they still enabled piracy.

8. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    This right here.
    I mean seriously if you owned a big company and all of the sudden you started
    losing money because of pirates, would you go after the person who caused this? [​IMG]

9. chrisrlink

Member chrisrlink Rouge Temper

United States
    how long you think til they taget the indiviual user who installed CFW hombrew and pirated games? i mean since they collect data if they have the power tell interpol/fbi to raid houses of people who did hack their ps3's?

10. Sterling

United States
    Its not just Geohot though. Now Sony has gone after every hacker. Not only is this stupid to mess with the people who have shown a bit of restraint in completely opening the PS3, but this just pisses potential customers off who know they are just suing people and not fixing things. When Sony finally realizes that the files will never be removed from the internet, and they decide to finally do something to FIX the problem, then there won't be anymore potential customers. The people who buy their stuff will move onto a competator, and not return to Sony until they make something more desirable.

11. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    I doubt that for one reason. Fans stick with their console till the end of time. I have friends who would love a stick with the words Nintendo on it, I'm sure they would even go as far as saying it's better than the 360 and PS3. Anyways, I think it's good. Sony should fight, put some scare into current and future hackers. It's their money, who are we to tell them to give up? We're just customers, and if I want good products from Sony they're gonna need that cash they worked for, and the cash people are stealing in illegal downloads.

12. Sterling

United States
    I mean new potential customers. Brand loyalty isn't anything new, but fads and stuff that attract all new customers wear off if unsustained. The PS3 is looking to be unsustainable. Sony shouldn't fight the people who hack their consoles, they should fight the piracy, and disable PSN access. However, FW updates that deny playing new games is silly.When I buy a console that I hack, and I buy my games, I expect to be able to play them on my hardware regardless of FW version. I lost a lot of respect for Nintendo when they did that for the Wii. If I use my console for homebrew, and I don't give a shit for online, then I expect to be able to play any games past, present, or future for the console. What I also like about hacked console that are completely open is a network just for the hackers. That way we are not dictated by whatever company.

13. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Like how people assume that most hackers are pirates.
    You guys are not being fair to homebrew guys.
    If I bought a PS3, it is mine that I bought with my money, I should be able to
    do what I reasonably want with it.

14. MigueelDnd

Member MigueelDnd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Same as above.

15. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Going after the entire community is just stupid.
    People hack their stuff for legitimate reasons all the time - take DSx86, for example. Also, people want OtherOS back, or at least want some way to run stuff on the PS3.
    If Sony really wanted to stop piracy, they should have just not taken away OtherOS in the first place, instead just patching the hack geohot used instead of taking away OtherOS all together.

[​IMG]

16. godreborn

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    sony will hurt their own sales far more than piracy ever will. people, even those who don't pirate, r seeing just how money-hungry and bloodthirsty they really r.

17. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    Actually, that firmware thing is very true. They did that with PSP, where you need a certain firmware to play the game. I have no idea what users who have no internet access do. I do believe that by getting rid of the main hackers (big name hackers) would be fighting piracy, but not aiming for PS3 hack users, just the creators. Though this is just an opinion. As for the homebrew thing, Sony can't make a way for a system that's hacked to only allow homebrew and no free games. I see what you're saying, but it's not really their fault.

18. Sterling

United States
    I'm saying they are going about their measures in the wrong way. The hack is out there. The cat is out of the bag, and the bag has a hole in it. The PS3 will never be the same if Sony doesn't fix the damn thing. All they are doing is trying to scare the hacking community... Its wasn't working. Now they are expaning on an already failed operation, and spending even more money and not fixing the problem.

19. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    they did fix it

3.56 contains a white list, a new security encryption for the private key, and also a new private key, and on top of that almost 0% chance to be able to downgrade from 3.56
    and now DNS bypass has been blocked fully resecuring PSN

basically its back to square one

20. Sterling

United States
    So, these new security keys apply for every current console that updates? How could they change the Hardcoded security Key, and encryption by an update? Wouldn't this call for totally new hardware? Could I also have a source?