Sony Prototype Sends Electricity Through the Air

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by imz, Oct 3, 2009.

Oct 3, 2009
  1. imz
    OP

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

source:PC World

2. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    That's pretty awesome.

3. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    we are planning to develop a bluetooth charger which uses wireless to charge you gadget but this one is a reality and it'll be in the future soon.

4. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    This is awesomeness! Sending electricity in the air to your appliances (or for now television)!

5. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
  6. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Wow, that is freaking cool. But what if a person with wet hands or a wet body walks past the electricity? [​IMG]

7. IzzehO

Member IzzehO GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    That's REALLY old. Quotes Tesla's 1890's work.....

8. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    It's a nice idea on paper. But I'm not convinced. They'd have to significantly increase the distance to make this worth using; 80cm isn't really going to save you tripping over any trailing cables. I'm aware that they will refine the technology so the figures from this proof of concept can't be read in stone but if there's *any* kind of extra power loss (40% quoted in time of writing) I'd rather use a cable and save on my electricity bill. Then there's the environmental impact to consider.

Those are some pretty big hurdles they're going to have to jump if this is ever going to be anything more than an experiment in a lab. Wireless power is cool, but I have to wonder if it's really nessasary for non-mobile appliances like televisions.

9. Cablephish

Member Cablephish Show me...

Canada
    I hope the method of induction is safe. Wouldn't want to be sticking my hand behind there if it's gonna kill me... Maybe they'll come with the next PS3 remodeling. [​IMG]

10. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    Its basically a magnetic wave that sends the energy so you wouldn't have any problems. The only issue they've had so far is sending more energy needs more magnetism, but at that point its disrupting electronic devices in the area. Its really cool stuff to look into.

However wireless energy isn't exactly useful. Sure it gets rid of wires, but wouldn't you rather have wired internet to get better speeds? And when you're charging a phone you'd still have to keep it in an area while charging it so just attaching a wire to it is just as restrictive.

Just my 2 cents. I hope it goes farther than 60W

11. Cablephish

Member Cablephish Show me...

Canada
    In terms of internet, I know where you're coming from. I get wireless on the PS3, because the internet was going slow having the router behind the tv, but we put the router and modem behind the tv to get wired internet for the PS3, and it was pretty fast. Then all the other wireless computers and devices in the house started working horribly. So we had to change the wireless back to where it was before, and my PS3 internet sucked again...

12. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Who's we?

[​IMG]

do you work at SONY.

13. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    It most likely gives off a lot of radiation... [​IMG]

14. CheatingSoi

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    I know this isnt possible, but think of your house as being your central charging base for your phone. If this was able to go a huge distance, or you have just a bunch of these chargers all over itd be cool.

Say your phone is in your pocket, it needs charging, you walk in your front door and it just charges in your pocket and you dont even have to think about it.

15. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    What's all the hubbub all of a sudden? They've had a working prototype of this at MIT three years ago.

16. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    @Veho this is one of those things that crops up once a year or so and has done for the entire time I have been playing this science game. Next in the cycle is probably some form of rotary engine, some use of various elements to improve semiconductors (works fine and indeed military and high end people use it but some of them are known are rare earth elements for a reason), some louder banging on the fuel cell drum and maybe a bit of doom and gloom to round the year out (peak oil- shale oil, lithography limits in semiconductors and maybe another biology/disease scare).

Others it is a bit enthusiastic but http://www.ted.com/talks/eric_giler_demos_...lectricity.html is pretty good if you want more info and a grounding in the subject.

17. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

I don't think the supposed merits of wireless power in consumer devices outweighs the consequences of the lower efficiencies it brings.

18. IzzehO

Member IzzehO GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    At the same time a slight development is always at least made. Such as in this they claim a better efficiency than MIT's results and a MUCH better method than Tesla's ideas [​IMG] It is all just the same stuff cycled though, but we all love the concept of new gadgets and the things of the future.

19. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    That's cool. Finally something good from Sony [​IMG]