PS1/2 Sony invegstigates PS3 hack allegations...

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
If the PS3 gets hacked to play backups or homebrew easily, it might actually boost PS3 sales.

It would be something that Sony is looking even if they make a loss on each PS3 sale it is still something that Developers look forward seeing a large install base for their games makes them atleast produce some decent games.

If ever Sony should let this happen, but then again Sony somehow forgetting that their huge install base for the other consoles was due to "piracy".

Because no one on this planet except for Sony believe that their machine is the best out there .
rolleyes.gif

Uzumakijl

Trophies
Website
www.uzumakijl.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Rayder said:
If the PS3 gets hacked to play backups or homebrew easily, it might actually boost PS3 sales.

^This is so true.

I've heard from a lot of people that they have a wii/360 only cause they can pirate it, Everybody wants a ps3 even if they don't admit it.

Though, I don't think everybody will "hack" their ps3's to play backups for obvious reasons, Still ps3 has a incredible potential for homebrew, And that would be pretty good reason to get one.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ill gladly say, the only reason i dont have a ps3 is cause it cant run backups.....as soon as it can, ill be first in line to purchase one with a bd-burner for pc and at least 100 bd's

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
JSHidaka said:
nitrostemp said:
you cant block access to the ps3 motherboard

Well.. the "Hacker" had a PS3 Phat... who says the PS3 Slim use the same board? w/ the same Architecture?

Hack is unusable on the PS3 slim due to there being no way of running Linux on it (where the hack runs from). Sony stopped people from being able to access to PS3's GPU and locked down a good burnt of the processor power (I think) when running Linux in order to stop people from figuring out backup loaders etc. too quickly. Geohot's hack allows access to the full power of the PS3 from Linux allowing much better homebrew to be created once the processor has been figured out.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
Hack is unusable on the PS3 slim due to there being no way of running Linux on it (where the hack runs from).

Yes, Linux is where this hack is run from, but how can you know that another hacker won't create a software exploit by finding encryption keys in the PS3's hardware using this hack?

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jamstruth said:
Geohot said that the theory behind the hack was perfectly sound i.e. cannot be blocked by firmware updates, what will cause trouble is blocking exploits used to apply the hack

I doubt that Geohot actually knows everything. It's highly doubtful that Sony can't patch this exploit. Now that the moron released his hack to the public, Sony can easily look into it and come with a firmware upgrade to fix it, rendering the guy's work totally useless.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
On Geohotz blog, he has released the exploit. After reading the directions (Because my system meets all criteria.), I was TERRIBLY confused as what actually to do. I think this is an attempt to only allow those interested in developing for it to be able to accomplish the mod, and according to the picture included in it, you may in fact have to open your ps3 to accomplish this. When there comes a time to actually make proper use of this hack, I'll do so. (P.S. you do need Linux, which means any ps3 slims are out of the question unfortunately.)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
iNFiNiTY said:
The slim is actually vulnerable too, the exploit is in the hardware it doesn't have to use linux.

And how to you execute the software that uses the exploit? You need something first to get your foot into the door, some way of running code at all. The exploit "only" allows to gain more rights, once you're in.

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
It's far too early to say if slims will be hackable or not.

This particular vulnerability was exploited through Linux, but there's probably another way in (Twilight Hack -> Bannerbomb). Only time will tell.

And yes, Apex, the instruction and status of the exploit definitely are only for those "interested in developing for it."

hippyharry

Trophies
XP
Country
There has been now almost 4 dumps of the hypervisor and bootloader now.

What geohot's method was to take the mainboard and sending a pulse at a rate of something like 40ms which when running the command to poke at the hypervisor and bootloader. By doing this, it allowed him to take a total memory dump of these.

Ps3news devs have got their own dump and working with it. Xorloser has got his too. As has another user called isomike or isomick. Cant remember for sure.

The memory dump has been leaked out as well.

The method only works on fat ps3's, thats all ps3's up until the slim version came out, and geohot says it should work on any firmware on the fats which seems correct too. The only advantage Sony has here at the moment is the only way it can be booted up is when going into otheros and not while you are in gameos. Slim PS3's dont have this option and once the devs and other users have reverse engineered it to come up with some other method of enabling control of the full processing unit in otheros, or porting apps to the gameos, then its looking doubtful for slims until then.

On another note, nice to be back

hippyharry

Trophies
XP
Country
DaMummy said:
ok so where are we in terms of a backup loader or a modchip?

a fair bit away.

There needs to proof of a Hello World either from the XMB or from boot up. It will be a fair while. over at ps3news there is ongoings and theres a wiki setup now too to document all of it. Still big parts of the hypervisor missing though.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
Eh... I can take it or leave it (a PS3 hack). The thing's region free, which is all that matters. It'd be nice to back up my games but there are barely any good ones, and they're huge anyway. A PS3 hack would mainly benefit kids living off their allowance, I think that's why no one's bothered with the console yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: fuckin heavy storm over here