Sony invegstigates PS3 hack allegations...

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by lilbro, Jan 25, 2010.

Jan 25, 2010
  1. lilbro
    OP

Newcomer lilbro Member

United States
    http://www.incgamers.com/News/20648/sony-i...ack-allegations

I knew this was gonna happen as soon as I saw the first post of it. The natural result of people running their mouths.

Inc gamers seems to be the snitch here. There goes my hopes of a PS2 emulatoro on my PS3 and the ability to run an OS with with the use of the graphics card.

2. david432111

Member david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    If the hack is anywhere as good as the guy says it is, then sony most likely won't be able to patch it.
    But if they somehow accomplish it, it'll still take a while for them to do it.

3. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    You might want to get a mod to change the topic title, "Sonic" you put instead of "Sony"
    But anyway, I doubt it'll get patched before the exploit is actually released and there will most likely be workarounds.

4. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
  5. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Geohot said that the theory behind the hack was perfectly sound i.e. cannot be blocked by firmware updates, what will cause trouble is blocking exploits used to apply the hack

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    incgamers didnt rat any one out
    they attempted too but this was on every news site as soon as it was revealed

anyway I would take anything they say with a grain of salt
    unless it appears on some big name site confirming it

7. lilbro
    OP

Newcomer lilbro Member

United States
    Do you consider gametrailers a big name site?

8. Blue Zoidberg

Member Blue Zoidberg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't know what anyone means by 'ratting any one out' it's on BBC News.
    Geohot was interviewed by them directly, evidently.

What people need to do is start looking at purchasing PS3 systems now before Sony analyzes the hardware muck up and fixes it with a "PS3 Slim II"

9. DarkShadow96

Member DarkShadow96 LA96£

Canada
    I agree with Blue Zoidberg. I really want a PS2 emu on my PS3. See, its these stupid stuff that sony does is what makes people want to hack their systems(PSP).

Good thing that I'll be getting my PS3 next week anyways. As soon as I heard about the exploit I was like, hmm... Their going to make a new type of PS3 obviously lol.

10. sonoranreptile

Newcomer sonoranreptile Member

United States
    Makes me glad I got a launch model 60gb and a swap magic DVD. I have played Black and Call of Duty World at War Final Fronts off of USB hard drive with no problems. Cut scenes are glitchy, but gameplay is perfecto.....

11. DarkShadow96

Member DarkShadow96 LA96£

Canada
    There's such thing on the PS3? Wow, never heard of them. I hope this hack would make us able to play games off of the HD and play PS2 games(well in the report it says that the hack is able to play PS2 games) but the main thing I want is PS2 games being able to play dammit. I don't feel like forking up another 100$ to go and buy one =/.

12. PerfectB

Newcomer PerfectB Member

United States
    What are they gonna do about it? As far as I know, the dude just said that he'd hacked it, and didn't release any of the stuff he had. Which, if he's not lying, is pretty smart because it can give some time to make sure that this won't be something that gets patched by 3.20 or whatever firmware would be next. PSP hacking was pretty solid until Sony got a lead and now the scene seems like it's playing catchup.

13. moosh01

Member moosh01 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Everyone is reading way too much into this. For one GeoHotz has not even revealed the exploit/hack/vulnerability. If the /// didn't give it away, no one, not even Sony knows where the weak point in their system is, exept for GoeHotz, at the moment. And if you think that Sony can just go in and patch it, they can't. Their employees who's only job is to find flaws with their security don't know what it is. If they had known it would of been patched or fixed long ago.

14. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    The next version of Open PS2 Loader will be able to load games via network on ps3s*. Maybe even via wfi. Loading via network is about twice as fast as loading via usb.

*Only the ones that play ps2 games, maybe even only the ones with both ps2 chips(==very 1st gen, USA and Japan only)

15. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    actually geohot has released all the info and his way of hacking it and the exploit on his blog, and for those who say someone "snitched" it even said on G4TV that geohot, the guy who jailbroke the iphone, claims he has hacked the ps3, no its not like this news is nowhere to be found

16. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Ahh too bad for Sony, hopefully they find a way to block it by some form of update that attacks the ways to get to this exploit since the maker claims it is sound. Sony really doesn't need another PSP bomb on their hands right now.

17. nitrostemp

Member nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    you cant block access to the ps3 motherboard

18. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    No I know I was mostly thinking of regular bi-weekly updates or whatever to lock down holes as they arrive, that and banning accounts like MS does.

19. JSHidaka

Newcomer JSHidaka Member

Dominican Republic
    Well.. the "Hacker" had a PS3 Phat... who says the PS3 Slim use the same board? w/ the same Architecture?

20. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    If the PS3 gets hacked to play backups or homebrew easily, it might actually boost PS3 sales.