Sony Considering 3DS-Like 3D Slider For PS3

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by The Pi, Jul 22, 2010.

Jul 22, 2010
  1. The Pi
    OP

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    The neatest idea inside the Nintendo 3DS isn’t just its 3D screen. Rather, the neatest idea is that you can tweak the 3D depth of this screen with a real-time slider. Now, Sony might borrow the idea for PS3 games.

A Sony games producer behind an upcoming Sly Cooper collection suggested that a slider could make an appearance, the function mapped to an analogue stick.

[​IMG]Source

2. frogmyster3

Member frogmyster3 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The obvious thing to say here is that Sony are stealing ideas again. But it's nice to see that they are considering people's long-term health with eye strain. I actually think that with 3D games and movies, a slider to adjust the settings could become the norm.

3. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I agree. Most people will ague that Nintendo was the first with this idea and they're probably right, but in the end this is just better for consumers. To be perfectly honest, I don't even care about 3D at the moment. I just want my Sly Collection [​IMG]

4. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    I have to be honest though, Nintendo originated the idea for the handheld. Sony CREATED the invention on their LCD TV, the only flaw w/ Sony is that they can't controll the 3D depthness on the TV. If Sony makes a PS3 game w/ 3D depthness...hopefully its not much of an effect instead of gameplay.

5. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/ev...00129qa/03.html

Answer 8. Not original. 3D? NES DO THAT! AND GENESIS TOO!

6. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I do not fill any disappointment toward this, like the Move :/

As in I do not mind Sony coping that...

7. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Who cares who copies who so long as the freaking product actually works. Corporate plagiarism is inevitable, arguing about it is like washing your car; you'll wash it tomorrow; then it'll be dirty in a week.

8. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    A month ago...
    'Nuff said...

Sony really disapoints me. First I see this really cool adaption of 3d which doesn't split images for each eye, but for each pair of glasses. I was like: [​IMG]. And then... this cheap ripoff. Of course isn't it the same dev team and stuff, but still. Hearing the name Sony gives me split feelings...

9. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Maybe you right. But this is too:

[​IMG]

The same hand, a lack of imagination.

10. ZeroTm

Member ZeroTm GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    What about the people with glasses, how do they wear the 3D glasses anyway???

11. BakuFunn

Member BakuFunn Flameproof.

United States
    I find it really hard to believe Sony never thought of it.

To control depth you just move the "eyes" closer or father apart. (Closer being less depth, and farther being more. So that would mean the two "screens" would come together more for a 2D image, and farther apart for a more "tunnel visiony" effect, most likely with the normal human perception depth being the max, but this could be nice if used correctly by games that would control the depth and create different perceptions.

They probably just threw away the idea and thought "Hey, that could work!" when the 3DS showed its use.

12. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States

I agree with you 90% of the time, from what I've seen your posts are quite reasonable. Here's the thing, the heading of this thread is, "Sony Considering 3DS-Like 3D Slider for PS3," whereas the 3DS is confirmed to already have a 95% (circa/estimate) finalized design. Nintendo, in general likes to keep things fairly simple and intuitive. It doesn't MATTER at all, whether Sony is considering something; what matters is the application-decision; that is to say, whether or not they actually pick up the technology or not.

Furthermore, there's something that everyone seem to be forgetting; the 3DS is a portable, whereas the PS3 is a console. The technology is a mere medium for 3D content (which unless titles are specifically developed for it) won't be meaningful. Nintendo will always, in my mind, be "The Innovator" company. Moving on, as far as I know, there are HD-PS3 titles, even if the PS3 has the capability for 3D ~ the quality between "true" nintendo stereoscopic non-glasses and glasses 3D should vary considerably.

My conclusions at the minute are that the PS3/360 are HD/High-Definition mediums for games [not 3D]. Unless a system is designed around 3D, note: ***3DS*** then I believe it will deliver a sub-par / performance-$ ratio (the PS3). To me, it's not a coincidence that the PS3 has 3D capability; the engineers/executives saw the inclusion of 3D in the firmware as a developmental approach as they followed the fad, but the PS3 strikes me (unless titles built to use 3D) gimmicky. As far as the 3D-Gaming-Industry looks at this point the 3DS has all the advantages because it's specialized unlike the PS3

13. chrisrlink

Member chrisrlink Rouge Temper

United States
    I smell a lawsuit from nintendo and it won't be piracy related

14. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    did you even read the thread you posted?
    it says they are not interested in 3d on a portable system (PSP)
    it says nothing about the ps3

anyway I doubt anything will come of this, its more of a compliment to nintendo more then anything

15. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Sliders are known as a general purpose mechanic of adjusting an aspect of operation. Whether it be for 3D or volume, the technology has been around for a long time. Nintendo might have been the first to use it for 3D viewing, but it's nothing unique like motion-controlled gaming (which we all know Sony did steal with the Move).

I say kudos to Sony for joining in with the slider.

16. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    you don't unless you want a monster fucking headache!

sony: IT JUST DOES COPY EVERYTHING! [​IMG]

17. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Nintendo stole the volume slider from Sony.

18. nintendoom

Member nintendoom Nintendoom

Antarctica
    How can you say that>>>?? Any proof???? The Gameboy Has the volume slider first

19. The Pi
    OP

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    variable resistor [​IMG]

20. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    So what the slider is being copied there thats like saying whoever had a power button on there computer first should be the only one with it.