Sony adds Two-Factor Authentication to PlayStation Network

Discussion in 'PS4 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Chary, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    unnamed (2).jpg
    After numerous user account compromises and security breaches, Sony has finally added 2FA to the its PlayStation Network. It's highly recommended that users take advantage of this extra layer of security for their accounts.

You can do this by going to the Playstation Store on the web, and clicking the following:

Account Settings>Go to the Account Tab and select Security>Scroll down and click on "For 2-Step Verification, please visit this page". You will then be prompted to turn on 2FA and add a mobile phone number. You can also do this from your PS4 by going to Settings>PSN Account Management>Account Information>Security>2-Step Verification.

2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well this is something that should have happend back in 2009 already! O_O How it take this long, what are they doing over there!

Chary likes this.
  3. fischermasamune

fischermasamune GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    United States
    Who was using this in 2009?

4. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    I think my cousin will make good use of this, gives away his account to too many people!

5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I don't think people was, but if you remember how PSN got hacked and suddenly they shut down the service to fix it and then only to return with peoples accounts being compromised on the news, then to offer some free games and trial period to playstation plus which they was also starting to promote (Cue Kevin butler and Marcus rivers commercial here) Then maybe you wished they had done this sooner. :P

6. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    I don't think anyone was using things like that in 2009 besides RSA key cards for sensitive work related stuff
    even steam only added 2fa a year ago

7. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    Great that they are adding the extra security but im not giving any game company or system my mobile number. Stupidity is the source to most "hacks" and im not giving them more infomation about me. I buy PS vouchers to get games, i never give credit card or personal info and i shall continue to do so.

8. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    2FA makes accounts less secure FYI

vb_encryption_vb likes this.
  9. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    That's only the mobile authenticator. 2FA via codes to email has been available for ages, I think it was 2011, can't remember exactly, but it's email based steam guard is old.

Last edited by Armadillo, Aug 25, 2016
  10. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    If you're going to say something like that, at least give a valid reason/source.

Chary and VinLark like this.
  11. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    All I have to do is pretend to be you and have your carrier mail me a new sim with your number and request a text for the 2FA, now your probably saying the possibility of that happening is slim to none but the possibility would be non existent without 2FA.

The only way to make 2FA truly work is to buy a burner phone, keep it hidden at a place other than your home and never share the number.

Last edited by Xenon Hacks, Aug 26, 2016
    GilgameshArcher likes this.
  12. Townsperson

Townsperson GBAtemp Fan

Dec 7, 2015
    United States
    And how does that make your account less secure? If this completely moronic thing actually happened, your account is just as secure as it was without 2FA. No more, no less.

VinLark likes this.
  13. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Because I would not need to know your password I can just request a reset instead. Being on PSN and being able to chat with someone to get basic info out of them through phishing makes things even easier.

14. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Finally. I think all major sites should have 2fA. Or some form of other authentication.

15. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    The only thing that makes you secure is never leaving your payment information on file with them in the first place. In the long run I bet this winds up accidentally locking more people out of their own accounts than stopping hackers.

Xenon Hacks likes this.
  16. Townsperson

Townsperson GBAtemp Fan

Dec 7, 2015
    United States
    A password reset, to your registered email account, which has it's own, separate security measures. If you have the password to that as well, you probably deserve to get into whoever's account it is you're trying to steal.

Look, you can say that 2FA is dumb. That's fine. It really is. But if you try to make up random scenarios where it's detrimental to account security, you look like an idiot. Getting not only a phone company to give up someone's information, but also Sony (Who, if you only have half of the required authentication, should provide you absolutely zero information. Because that's the whole damn point) and eventually an email provider is ridiculous. Not that it could never happen, but the chances are so remarkably low, you'd have a better chance guessing a password.

Last edited by Townsperson, Aug 26, 2016
    VinLark likes this.
  17. jimmyleen

jimmyleen GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 28, 2016
    Why do I get the feeling anything that has to do with Yubico will not work with this?

18. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    If Sony was smart they would be using an authentication app not text messages. Google Authenticator works really well.

VinLark likes this.
  19. HomebrewJay

HomebrewJay Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2016
    United States
    Is this possible with the PlayStation 3?

20. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    I find steam authenticator to be the best working one. Google authenticator sometimes makes duplicate codes and it's annoying.

Luckkill4u likes this.