Some questions about the hacking progress

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Boy12, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Boy12
    OP

Boy12 NOT a new member!

Mar 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Purmerend
    Hi guy's!
    I have been away for a while now, and i had some questions about the hacking progress of the 3DS.
    I read some things here and there about FW version 7.X and 8.X and i am a little confused.
    I haven't used my 3DS for a long time. it's still on 4.1.2.
    Is it safe to update now? Or should i stay 4.1.2?
    Also, i saw some homebrew stuff going on.
    Do you still need a GW 3DS to launch homebrew, or is this not necesarry anymore?
    Thanks in advance!

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Stay on 4.x, you may need to update to 4.5 but smealum said his homebrew solution will be released for versions between 4.5-8.x

Just so you understand the.new exploit is homebrew only, so it would be better for you to stick on 4.5 as then you have the option of both exploits.......the 4.x exploit is the only one that will be running roms any time soon, so updating.past that and you will be running strictly homebrew only

Boy12 likes this.
  3. ieatpixels

ieatpixels GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2008
    yeah and remember Smash Bros is coming to Japan a month early so it's good to have a 4.5 unit so you can play the japanese version before the english release.

4. Boy12
    OP

Boy12 NOT a new member!

Mar 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Purmerend
    Hey man, thanks for informing me!
    I also saw that smea was looking for someone to make a logo for his launcher, will that launcher only work with the GW? Or is it standalone (you don't need to use a GW)?

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Smealums exploit is standalone, but it isn't a rom loader or anything, but it will load homebrew, staying on 4,5 will mean the door is open for both hacks, whilst anything else will be one or the other

Boy12 likes this.
  6. Boy12
    OP

Boy12 NOT a new member!

Mar 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Purmerend
    Thank you very much for your info :)
    Also another question (not relevant with this one), is it bad for the battery of the 3DS if it's not charged for a long time? Like 8 months?
    It haven't been used that long!

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Idk tbh, but it wouldn't really be any different than it staying unsold in a shop for 8 months before someone buys it

8. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    You can try completely recharging it to 100% and then completely depleting it to 0% to recalibrate the battery.