Some questions about PS3

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by prowler, Jun 13, 2011.

Jun 13, 2011

Some questions about PS3 by prowler at 10:34 AM (739 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Hi everyone, if you don't already know I'm planning on getting a PS3 on my birthday but I want to clear some things up first.
    • I'm planning on getting a PS3 40GB phat model, will I have any problems in the future?
    • I understand 40GB is too small since I recently found out most (if not all) games need install data. Can I install to an external hard drive?
    • If no, I have a 500GB hard drive. Would you think I can take the case off and swap it with my PS3s hard drive?
    I can't think of any more questions and I'll probably post more when I think of anything else, thanks bros.

2. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    You should have no real problems. If the PS3 yellow lights for whatever reason, a local fix should be fairly cheap. 40GB is a little on the small side, though I have yet to use that much in over a year with everything I've done. If you plan on actively buying games though, it would be better to go for a bigger HDD.

I'm fairly sure you can't use an external hard drive, but a replacement internal should be fine. I'll leave it to someone who really knows about that to give you specifics.

3. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
  4. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I'm not asking how to, I'm asking if I can with my current external hard drive.
    I'm not planning on going mental with games, probably buy a couple of games with it. Thanks

5. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    Well shit, Your B-day is just one day before mine. [​IMG]

I heard from a guy that repairs PS3s from time to time that ps3s that are on for extended periods of time(were talking 10hrs.) will get very hot(obviously). If the ps3 is standing up, then the solder slips slightly causing the circuits to disconnect. He repairs them for 35 bucks. and I barely know him.

As far as I know you cannot install games to an external HDD. You don't really need more than 40 gigs unless you're going to add music pics and videos to the HDD.

If you need more space for any reason, then you can swap out the HDD It's just 5 simple screws you need to undo. Before you exchange the HDD you need a 3rd hard drive to back up your ps3s data and transfer it to the new one.

6. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    game data and/or DLC cannot be saved to an external (as in a HDD connected via USB) it must be connected to the drive bay ( i am considering that your using this legitally, as in for piracy you can easily rip games onto and read of an internal or external HDD or whatever)

if you have music or what not on an external, you can read and use it (same applies to save files) but as ive said game data (such as installs or even DLC , Themes etc) must be on in the internal

40GB phats are somewhat stable from what i hear, then again it depends on use, very heavy use will push it, i mean make sure your buying it from a reliable person i.e one who has taken care of it

Anyway, back to the HDD issue ... not ALL games need an install, but regardless 40GB should be just enough for game installs (if any) save files, and some DLC (considering your a light casual gamer)

if you ever bother with PSN, feel free to add me. [​IMG]

7. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replys guys.
    Makes me feel okay with having 40GB now.

One more question, I have a PSP Go, is it possible to connect the PSP to the PS3 and play games on my TV?

edit: I totally forgot this isn't a PS3 section anymore. If a mod sees this, feel free to move it.

8. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    As far as I know, you can't. You can only play SOME ps3 games on the psp with remoteplay , and do some ps3 stuff on it, so it's like the other way around.

9. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    You can play PSP games on the TV. You just have to buy the AV cables for the PSP and plug them into the TV

10. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    Yeah, but he asked if he could play them through the ps3. You can play them on the tv with AV cables for it.