Some questions about backup loading

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Sotoro, Jan 19, 2011.

Jan 19, 2011
  1. Sotoro
    OP

Member Sotoro GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Hey, i'm new to the ps3 scene and i hope you can help me with some basic questions:

1. I have downloaded a release, but it's not a pkg file. It's a folder (PS3_GAME\USRDIR) with some files. for example *.sdat and *.rpf files. Can i load this game with MultiMan or any other backup loader on kmeaw CFW?

2. Can i copy this release on a usb stick and launch it or how can i get it on the ps3 from pc?

3. Can i use the ntfs formation on the usb-stick, because one file is bigger then 4gb?

Maybe we should make a "noob paradise" thread like in the wii-section, so that there are not so many threads about basic stuff?

2. ZombiePosessor

Member ZombiePosessor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Unfortunately I fall into this category also. I know how all the shit works, I just don't know what I HAVE to put on the internal HDD from the PS3_GAME folder. And also, if I put a game into HDD:\GAMEZ\GAme Name will it work, or do I HAVE to use the BCUSXXXX format? I'm using kmeaw and all that.

3. synce

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    After setting up your FTP connection you need to upload the BLUS##### folder from your PC to devhdd0/games on your PS3, then launch something like Rogero and fire up the game. To play from external you need to put that same folder in 'gamez'... I think. I'm only playing from internal

4. Sotoro
    OP

Germany
    But how can i get the release on a fat32 usb device, if one file is larger then 4gb?

5. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    If the file is larger than 4Gb then you will need to run the game from the PS3's internal hard drive.

6. bnui_ransder

Newcomer bnui_ransder Member

United States
    I am currently using a dual FAT32/WBFS external HDD.

So far I have tested 2 games. DMC4 and RE5, both running with no problems from the ext HDD. No special folders either, I moved the whole BLUS folder onto the FAT32 partition, navigated to the EBOOT.BIN in multiMAN, and when loading the game, I choose to go back to the XMB and launch the game there.

My PS3 was 2.10>3.55OFW>kmeaw

7. Sotoro
    OP

Germany
    ahh ok, and the only way to get such a release (with a file larger then 4gb) from pc to ps3 is ftp for the moment right?

8. synce

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    Yeah best to go internal... Some games like GT5 have most of the data in one huge ass file. There may be some splitting methods but it would probably affect compatibility and performance

9. Moose13

Member Moose13 GBAtemp Regular

United States
  10. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Yeah, if you are going to use FTP it is highly recommended you use a wired Ethernet connection, otherwise it will take forever to copy the game across. Another thing you could do is just FTP the files that are over 4Gb across and then transfer the rest over using an external hard drive for example.

11. Sotoro
    OP

Germany
    thx for the info - any idea how long it will take for a ~7gb release with a wired connection?

12. akari212

Member akari212 GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    38.2GB game (FFXIII Japanese Version)

took me 7minutes to transfer via 1000mbit Ethernet Connection.. (23.2mbps shows on my FileZilla)

13. ZombiePosessor

United States
    Goddamn... was that a wired connection?

14. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    Do I need a crossover or straight ethernet cable ?

15. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Just a straight up ethernet cable going from you PC to your PS3.

16. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    that doesnt math at all that many GB at that speed would take 28minutes, seven minutes isn't even possible due to ps3 hard drives max speed

17. ZombiePosessor

United States
    Yeah the math doesn't add up either... 23mbps? I was running 68-70mbps on my FTP transfer and it still took an hour and 45 minutes to FTP GOW3. What sucks tho is I have NO actual PS3 games, the PS3 I'm using I repaired from YLOD. Problem is, I can't get any backup managers working that require a game to be in the BRDrive, because mine is dead and i hgave no games, lol. Guess I'm waiting around for a discless BM feature.