some psp-2000 questions

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Timpa, Apr 23, 2009.

Apr 23, 2009

some psp-2000 questions by Timpa at 6:12 PM (717 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Timpa
    OP

Member Timpa GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    1. is it safe to upgrade from x.xx m33-x to x.xx m33-x with a 8 gb memory stick?
    2. im going to buy a psp-slim with an e on the labe, whis says its hackable, but can i uppgrade to 5.00 ofw and play some demos and chipp it later? i dont ruin it all with an upgrade, or all that is about the mobo? thanks

2. mcp2

Member mcp2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    1. Yes it's safe
    2. It doesn't matter what firmware you have as long as you have a pandorra battery and a real magic memory stick.

3. Timpa
    OP

Sweden
    im not going to pandora bat. am going to get someone fix it without pandora, and that is my question, can i safely with my new psp, upgrade normaly and after 1-4 weeks, get it chipped?
    i dont rune it all with upgrade it with the oficiall firmwire with my new psp?

4. mcp2

Member mcp2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    There is no other way to hack the PSP unless it is at f/w 3.03(?) or lower without a pandora battery.

5. GbaDoctor

Member GbaDoctor GbaTemp MaD fOrGeD DoCtOr

Italy
    No no no, too much confusion imho. Let me clear up things:

- PSP can be updated from custom firmware from ANY memorystick. So if its 8gb,16 or less, doesnt matter, as long as the app+required files are on it. Keep in mind that if you want to "update" your firmware you have to be on custom firmware first. UPDATES OR UPGRADES ARE NOT POSSIBLE FROM ORIGINAL FIRMWARES.

- If you plan to install the newer 5.50 or any other original firmware, YOUR ONLY WAY TO INSTALL A CUSTOM FIRMWARE LIKE M33 IS PANDORA BATTERY+PANDORA STICK. There is no "chip" for newer psps, even the undiluted platinum (the very first modchip) is useless now, as its not updated for newer psps and is basically useless.

- Custom Firmware is an alternate Operating System for PSP, thus it doesnt require any Modchip. What it does is format clean 100% the flash eeprom of the psp, in order to write back a customized operating system. Since the firmare is flashed internally, theres no need (and basically, no meaning) to use a Modchip.

- ANY DEMO OUT NOW CAN BE PLAYED ON 5.00m33-6. Since it removes any Firmware check flag. Same applies to Backups and Isos, even PSN.

Hope its clear now, you DONT NEED AN OFFICIAL FIRMWARE AT ALL. If you want to use it, be prepared to use the pandora method as its the only way to downgrade the psp.

Also, if you plan to buy a Slim, you should look for letters NP or G with White Circle in the Barcode box. Usually the psp slim with firmware 3.90 or below are all flashable.

If the box have another letter OR have a black circle (like bundle packs, or newer boxart) the slim cannot be hacked. And no, no modchip for it, as they are useless.

Hope it helps.

6. Timpa
    OP

Sweden

ive read a guide that a other member sent to me, a-f ot can be hacked, but if it is a g, then it comes with a 4.01 and cannot be hacked.

7. Timpa
    OP

Sweden
    3) What’s is the PSP’s Identification Letter
    It’s the letter on a label on the box that indicates the version of the unit. A picture is shown below:

Note that this label is only present on the normal PSP box and not those large “Limited Edition” ones.

Anyways, See the G there?
    PSP-2000 CW
    100v
    G

That G is the letter in question. Here’s a list of all the letters that the 2000 series ship with:
    1) No Letter) = 3.60
    2) A = 3.71
    3) B = Doesn’t exist
    4) C = 3.72
    5) D = Doesn’t exist
    6) E = 3.80
    7) F = 3.90
    8) G = 3.95 (TA-088v1) / 4.01 (TA-088v2) / 4.01 (TA-088v3)

If the letter is absent or is from A to F, then you can install Custom Firmware. If it’s a G then you can’t.

from a guide

8. Timpa
    OP

Sweden
    i bought my psp today! a psp-2004 with a e on the box, a circle that wasnt whole black and date code 8a, woohoo!