Englaterra

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hello all

i've just modded a wiiu the other day following the wiihacks guide, and have also modded the vwii too

i have 32gb on the nand in built and a 64gb sd card so enough space to store and run some games, before i commit to an external ssd/hdd i have a few questions

what i need some pointers on are the following:

how do i dump the wiiu games i currently own from a physical disc? what is the best/most efficient method to do this? or is this even possible?

is nusspli recommended and relatively intuitive to use? (alternative methods welcome, if not)

is it possible to play wii games in wbfs format on a modded wiiu? is this a good idea, and is it reasonably viable? i had a pretty good physical collection which was painstakingly converted to a digital copies on my old wii, it would be amazing if i could effectively reuse the data as it's sitting on an old thumb drive

how do i play gamecube isos from the sd card on this wiiu? i have a reasonably large backlog i've pulled from my older modded wii which themselves are backups of physical games, so it's a similar thing with the wbfs of the wii games

- i recall using nintendont on the wii but it was (eventually, after much tinkering) fronted by usb loader gx so i could just load GCN games from the latter's menu which was brilliant, i'm not even sure if that's a thing on wiiu (the modding seems a lot more impenetrable and less user friendly for me)

what is the best way to create vc injections and what is the emulation (i.e. retroarch) like on the wiiu?

sorry for the questions, but it's difficult to find solid information on all of these things with recency - a lot of the responses i've come across pertain to older time periods or running different 'environments' so i don't want to risk bricking my console

my wii version is 5.5.5 (E) and the environment i'm autobooting is tiramisu, the only homebrew i've really downloaded so far is bloopair (which i can't get working with my ps4 pad yet)

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i have 32gb on the nand in built and a 64gb sd card so enough space to store and run some games
Sadly not true cause you can't install games to the SD card (copyright protection) and a single game might occupy the whole NAND (also it's not recommended to install to NAND: keep it as free as possible for a better lifetime).
how do i dump the wiiu games i currently own from a physical disc?
https://github.com/wiiu-env/wudd/releases
is nusspli recommended and relatively intuitive to use?
As the author I'll leave this question to others.
is it possible to play wii games in wbfs format on a modded wiiu? is this a good idea
Yes and no: You have to install them to SLC which is damn small.
how do i play gamecube isos from the sd card on this wiiu?
With Nintendont from vWii.
i could just load GCN games from the latter's menu which was brilliant
Today you can just inject and install them like a native Wii U title, so they will appear on the Wii U menu like any other game. This doesn't work from SD card through (as the same copyright protection mentioned above applies here).
what is the best way to create vc injections
I'm using Teconmoon's Injector, others prefer UWUVCI. Choice is yours. ;)

Reactions: jeannotte

Englaterra

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
firstly, thank you so much for the thorough reply to the numerous things i asked!

Sadly not true cause you can't install games to the SD card (copyright protection) and a single game might occupy the whole NAND (also it's not recommended to install to NAND: keep it as free as possible for a better lifetime).
ah, i was under a false assumption, i should probably get an hdd sooner rather than later.
As the author I'll leave this question to others.
i've looked at the latest release for github, but i'm not sure which one applies to tiramisu i.e. do i want aroma, channel, or HBL (or do i need something additional to install it) - reminds me of pkjg for the vita community which was fantastic

Today you can just inject and install them like a native Wii U title, so they will appear on the Wii U menu like any other game. This doesn't work from SD card through (as the same copyright protection mentioned above applies here).
when you say this doesn't work from an SD card, what would i need to inject them from, then - an external hdd/thumb drive? and what is (recommended) method for injecting them?

I'm using Teconmoon's Injector, others prefer UWUVCI. Choice is yours. ;)
do either of these run on a macOS or will i be stuck trying to haphazardly utiilize these programs through WINE or something :(

i hope i don't seem ungrateful with my further questioning, you've been really helpful, i just want to get things as right as i can initially before i start the process of migrating a massive amount of game data!!!

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i'm not sure which one applies to tiramisu i.e. do i want aroma, channel, or HBL
Aroma version is for Aroma but you're on Tiramisu, so that one is wrong.
HBL starts from the homebrew launcher.
Channel is installable like native Wii U titles, so starts from the Wii U menu.

So it's either HBL or Channel for you. Just try both and see which you like more. :)

P.S. Yes, it is possible to install NUSspli Channel from within NUSspli HBL. No need to use WUP Installer anymore.
when you say this doesn't work from an SD card, what would i need to inject them from, then - an external hdd/thumb drive? and what is (recommended) method for injecting them?
It does work to install from SD card but not to install to it (the installation files are encrypted on their own but they get decrypted while installing and the Wii U won't save these unencrypted files on an unencrypted drive. Both, NAND and USB drives use a properitary, encrypted filesystem).
Thumb drives aren't recommended cause of the filesystem the Wii U uses (it kills flash drives pretty fast. Nintendo itself tells in its FAQs and stuff to not use flash drives). So I would go with a HDD. Just keep in mind that the Wii Us USB ports are power limited, so most likely you'll (at least) need a Y-Cable to give the HDD enough juice.

Recommended methods are Teconmoon's Injector or UWUVCI. Both can do the job, both are actively maintained.
do either of these run on a macOS or will i be stuck trying to haphazardly utiilize these programs through WINE or something :(
Sadly no. I couldn't even manage to get them running through WINE, so I'm always starting a full Windows VM for them. I'm on Linux through so your experience might vary.

//EDIT: To use GCN injects you need more than just the injects through: You also need to have Nintendont installed. That's just putting a few files onto your SD card. Just follow the official Nintendont thread (it's a sticky thread here at the Wii U forum section).

//EDIT²: And what's really sad about the injectors not running on Mac/Linux: They are written in C#, so a portable language, but at the same time they use Windows specific APIs, so throwing the portability the language gives into the trash bin. I always hate to see such things. I mean for real: Why use a portable language like C# just to revoke the portability?

Last edited by V10lator,
Reactions: ber71

Englaterra

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you've been an immense help, i have nusspli running now (will the repository still be accessible etc after the eshop is closed, i wonder) and it works a charm - thank you so much

i've also installed nintendont but having difficulties with the gamepads/remote situation, hoping injects straight onto the hdd to create wiiu channels can get around this from what i've read

i suppose i'll have to dust off a windows device and hope it can run tecnonmoon or UWUVCI -- do the wbfs need to be converted back into ISO before they become 'injectable' (was it WADs for the wii iirc, i don't know what the wiiu equivalent is) or can i skip that step hopefully?

Recommended methods are Teconmoon's Injector or UWUVCI. Both can do the job, both are actively maintained.

- and finally, once i've converted wbfs and GC isos into injects using one of the above programs, and migrated them to an SD card, what program will i actually need to install these injects onto the wii u menu via the HDD? can nusspli do this also through its 'install' function? not quite sure yet.

if i can figure out the last bit, i think i'll finally be done, and i can probably send my old wii to someone who wants it as it would then be obsolete, woo

Last edited by Englaterra,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.