Some More System Related Questions (Including Screen Damage)

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Cornholio309, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Cornholio309
    OP

Cornholio309 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    United States
    So, a while ago, you might recall that I created a thread asking for help related to some screen damage I did a while back on my then recently purchased DS Lite. Long story short, did something stupid with some rubbing alcohol, seemingly got into the screen, and now my touch screen looks like absolute rubbish. It still functions fine (seems to respond to all screen input fairly well), but the sploches kind of make games that use the touch screen to display gameplay kind of bothersome.

I finally got around to uploading some screenshots of the issue for those who are curious:

Pictures of the Damaged 'Splochy' Touch Screen

While I did receive some help from a user, I'm creating another thread since double posting is apparently not something that's allowed on these forums and I'm still seeking clarification. If the liquid hasn't dried up yet, then this pretty much guarantees that this is the actual LCD that got damaged, right? I'd like to know before I go ahead and put further thought into fixing this up. Should I also be concerned about the battery? I didn't have a screwdriver at the time this happened, so I had no way of opening up where the battery was. It still seems to hold a charge okay and it seems rubbing alcohol is a bit...safer, for a lack of a better word, on technology. However, I figured I'd ask here while I'm at it.

Second, the L button I mentioned in the original post is still a little...sticky. I haven't ran into the issue where it'd act as if it's permanently being held down, but it still feels really bad compared to my R button. Considering that there are some other things driving me insane about this DS Lite (upper right rubber "bumper" has fallen off, came with a pink stylus that doesn't match the system at all), would it be worth looking into a replacement case of some sort?

Third, how easy would this be to do? I literally have zero experience disassembling electronics like this, but at the same time I'd like to look into repairing this. Would it be best for me to take it into my own hands, or are there decent repair services floating out there?

Finally, I'm kind of interested in looking into another flash cart for this system. I used to own an original R4 DS cartridge that I got ages ago (I still do actually, but lost the microSD card that came with it). DS Flashcarts are now incredibly cheap, plus they support bigger microSD card sizes. Between an R4i Gold and a DSTwo, which would you recommend? Basically I'd like to use this for DS homebrew, and hopefully to be able to back up my GBA cartridges (since there were some I never got to backup using the GBA Save Manager Tool) and play DS games on one nice cartridge.

Thank you for your time.

2. Cornholio309
    OP

Cornholio309 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    United States
    Bumping out of curiosity. Can anybody give me any advice? I've been seeing a lot more people double post recently and I haven't seen them being automatically merged, so I'm not quite sure what the rules are for double posting.

Again, I apologize if double posting isn't allowed, but I'd really like to fix up this touch screen but don't know if I should attempt this myself or look for somebody to repair it for me.