Some Little Problems With Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Z-Gear, Aug 8, 2011.

Aug 8, 2011

Some Little Problems With Wii by Z-Gear at 3:01 PM (1,601 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. Z-Gear
    OP

Newcomer Z-Gear Member

Turkey
    Hello to everyone ;
    I got a new wii its 3.4E at the moment and someone softmoded it for me - its able to run dvds also -
    He installed Homebrew Channel -> Bootmi doesnt lauch from home menu
    CFG Usb loader -> Doesnt worked with 1,5tb WD ntfs but worked with 8gb hp wbfs I will try it wbfs too
    Neogamma -> Actually I dont use it

I want to make my hdd work ntfs too or I want to have 500 gb wbfs 1tb ntfs partions dunno how to make
    I want to have bootmii copy but it doesnt launch ...

I dont know what iOS or CiOS I have but dunno how to find , If you explain how to find i will write them .

Thanks [​IMG]

2. cambridge_red

Newcomer cambridge_red Advanced Member

Canada
    Use the modmii installer the only way to go..

3. Ryoku83

Member Ryoku83 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    First if you wanna find out what you have installed for ios' and cIOS' follow the syscheck guide by JoostinOnline the link to it is in my signature.

As cambridge_red said using modmii to do a fresh install (rehack your wii) could help with your problems. With the Modmii wizard it will give you all the instructions you need to completely rehack your wii easily. The guide will even tell you how to reformat your HDD to the recommended format fat32 (wbfs in outdated now days, go with fat32 or 2 partitions 1 as fat32 and 1 as ntfs. The wizard can generate a guide of instructions on how to do this as well). The link to modmii is also in my signature so check that out as well.

4. Z-Gear
    OP

Newcomer Z-Gear Member

Turkey
    hdd worked with wbfs but I want it to partion ntfs and wbfs , how can i do this and is it necessary to start from hbc ? Cant you just say me which ios' to install ? I need to see my ios'

5. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    first follow JoostinOnline guide and post your report here.
    Based on your already installed cIOS we will tell you what to do.

About the HDD, you can of course format it with 2 partitions (NTFS + WBFS) but why keeping the old WBFS partition format?
    Do a FAT32 if you want to store Wii games and homebrew, or NTFS if you want only Wii games (not a lot of homebrew are compatible with NTFS). With NTFS you can store other big files like .mkv file >4GB.

Don't keep WBFS only because it's the only format currently working. If it's the only one it's because you have old cIOS. You better update your cIOS AND the USBloaders to use one compatible with FAT32/NTFS partition format.

It's not necessary to start from HBC, you can install complete Channels of USBloaders, or Forwarders channel which launch boot.dol on your SD card, and load the USBloader directly from the Wii menu.

6. Z-Gear
    OP

Newcomer Z-Gear Member

Turkey
    Thank you I will systemcheck and post there [​IMG] I use wbfs because it didnt worked with ntfs dunno why I think I have missing cios ?

7. Cyan

France
    If bootmii doesn't launch from HBC home menu then it's not fully installed.

I think it's best to reinstall HBC with bootmii as Boot2 (if possible) and as IOS too.
    Bootmii is already installed as Boot2 if the wii light is flashing two time when you boot your wii without an SD card inserted.

If you have bootmii Boot2, it's easier (and quicker) to launch USBloaders from HBC. You set Bootmii to boot your Wii to HBC automatically and there you can launch homebrew without waiting for Wii menu to load.

Before reinstalling HBC, we will see what IOS you have.

8. Z-Gear
    OP

Newcomer Z-Gear Member

Turkey
    My syscheck is here , After yours commands I will reinstall HBC for bootmii black screen
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

9. Z-Gear
    OP

Newcomer Z-Gear Member

Turkey
  10. Cyan

France
    Edit :Don't bump, I was writting it...

So, you can either follow modmii tutorial (it will install updated version of the wii menu I think, so you will be in 4.2 or 4.3 instead of 3.4). ModMii will prepare all the needed files as wad files and then you will install them all with a wad manager.
    Or you can just only update the needed IOS.

You don't need to update your Wii at all, though if you update you will have a native SDHC support on the Wii menu, you can use it to move and store installed channels on SD, and boot Channels directly from the SD card).
    Don't update with the official Nintendo server, update with ModMii.

If you follow modMii (it's the easiest way to update you hacked wii), look here : http://gbatemp.net/t207126-modmii-for-windows. Download and install ModMii. Run it, then type W to go to the Wizard installation and tutorial creation. Follow the steps and answer the questions. It will create all the needed Wad files that you will have to install on your Wii. It will also create a text file with the tutorial. read it.

If you really want the manual installation instead of using ModMii, here it is :

What you have :
    IOS249 based on IOS58 (it's a bad base to use with USBloaders, as it's using a different ehc module (usb driver). It's often reported to crash or not boot the game.
    You don't have IOS56, 57 and 58.
    Homebrew channel is old (1.0.1, there is 1.0.8 available).
    You already have Bootmii installed as IOS, it should have work when you tried to launch it from the HBC home menu.

What you will have to do:
    First, use an SD card with at least 700MB free, you will have to make a nand backup. (528MB)
    Then, you should configure your network, the Wii will download files automatically.
    1) install IOS58. Place it in your apps/ folder and launch it. It will download and install IOS58.
    2) If you have internet access, the Homebrew Channel should notify you that there is a new version available, you can download it and update the HBC. if it doesn't prompt you, you can find the installer on bootmii.org.
    When you install HBC, you will have the option to prepare the SD Card for bootMii (accept), reinstall the Homebrew Channel and both Bootmii Boot2 (if you can) and Bootmii IOS. then exit the installer. You will be a the new HBC, with black background. Go to bootmii and make a NAND backup.

3) I think you can install IOS236 (a patched IOS36 installed in slot236). It's not required, but can be useful.
    You need to update HBC before installing IOS236.

4) You can install cIOS d2x v6. This cIOS can be installed either using ModMii (so if you want to use this method, you should use ModMii for everything), or using a homebrew installer.
    When it ask which IOS you want to use, tell him 222 (or 236 if you installed it), then it will ask you what you want to install:
    what : d2x version 6
    where : slot249
    base : 56

5) You can install the same way another d2x cIOS, this time select v6 slot250 and base57

6) Your Hermes cIOS are duplicates, it's not useful in this state, but I don't know if you want to use them.
    If you want to update them, either modMii (again [​IMG])
    Or run Hermes installer v4 and v5.1 (both version are useful):
    cIOS 202 [base 60] v4
    cIOS 222 [base 37+38] v4
    cIOS 223 [base 57] v5.1

Other tutorial or ModMii could give a different slot/base, it only depend your own needs.

7)
    You don't really need to install the original IOS56 and IOS57, they are used by original games only.
    If you need them, you can install them by using geckoOS to boot the game requiring such IOS, or use few other homebrew to install them manually.

------------ The end -----------
    Your USBloader will usually use IOS249 by default.
    It's the latest version available, and will be compatible with NTFS hard drives.

You can install only a d2x cIOS in slot 249 or 250 and it would be enough too [​IMG]
    It will depend if you want to stay on 3.4 or don't have anything against updating to latest version. You don't even have to update the Homebrew channel if you don't want, but I highly recommend that you do it after installing IOS58.
    I recommend that you use ModMii tutorial anyway if you are not used to installing IOS manually or don't know how your Wii internal is working.

If someone else think I miss a step or two, please correct me. (before he update its wii content [​IMG])

11. Z-Gear
    OP

Newcomer Z-Gear Member

Turkey
    Thank you very much ! I will use Mod Mii way [​IMG] I want to ask if I Have have boot2 ? My wii code is Leh273xxx.. , at the moment I cant reach to my Wii and I am not sure if it is or not [​IMG] Thank you again for everything [​IMG]

12. Cyan

France
    I don't know based on your Wii serial number. If your console is old, it should work.

Though, it's already on boot2 v4, either you updated it while playing a recent game, either it was sold like that with an updated and incompatible boot1 too.

You will have to try.

13. Z-Gear
    OP

Newcomer Z-Gear Member

Turkey
    Hmm I didnt updated it [​IMG] THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING U ARE WII GENIUS [​IMG]

14. Z-Gear
    OP

Newcomer Z-Gear Member

Turkey
    I did the softmod by using the guide for 3.X E to 4.1E
    I forgot to install Dx2 [​IMG]

Here is my syscheck
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

My new problem is Now I have 2 Usb Loader channel but they look different , when i open they are same [​IMG]
    And when I look my system channels of wii at settings there is a channel "???" what is it :S

15. Cyan

France
    You didn't forget to install the d2x cIOS, it was already included without you knowing it.
    Look at your syscheck report :

IOS249[56] (rev 21006, Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
    IOS250[57] (rev 21006, Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0

IOS249 with base56 is a 2dx cIOS.
    Same for IOS250, but with an IOS based on IOS57. (Original IOS57 is read, patched with new USB access for USBloaders, and the result is installed into slot250)

I don't know what your "???" channel is. It could be anything, don't delete it.

About the USBloader channels, if they are both USBLoaderGX channels then you have :
    - Complete USBLoaderGX channel with the program integrated and installed on the Wii. just plug the HDD.
    - Forwarder USBLoaderGX Channel, it's only a program which launch another program (hence the forwarder name). It's launching SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/boot.dol
    The forwarder is often used because it's easier to test new USBloader revisions, just replace the file on the SD card and you have the new version. You don't need to reinstall the channel on the Wii. And this file is the same as the one you list and launch using the Homebrew channel, while complete channels can only be launched from the Wii menu.

There are a lot of different channels (complete or forwarders).
    There is also a "Common USBLoader" forwarder channel which let you choose which USBloader you want to boot and load a different boot.dol file on the SD card according to your choice.

You are now up to date and have everything you need to use any of the USBloader you want. (Cfg Loader, uLoader, Wiiflow, USBloaderGX, Mightly Loader, Neogamma, etc.)

16. Z-Gear
    OP

Newcomer Z-Gear Member

Turkey
    Both of them are forwarder not working without sd , one of them has a different intro when opening then launchs cfg , other one is my older which launch directly cfg [​IMG] Shall I use any title deleter ?

17. Cyan

France
    You can keep them if you don't need free block (should be less than 10 blocks anyway).
    To delete a channel, either use AnyTitleDeleter, or if you still have the Wad in the wad folder, use a wad manager and delete it instead of installing.
    The wad manager is safer as you are sure to delete the correct channel, while AnyTitleDeleter can be used to delete important data. Just be sure that it's the correct channel.

18. Z-Gear
    OP

Newcomer Z-Gear Member

Turkey
    Thank you very much again [​IMG] This my last question , how can i play wiiware/vc games ? With loader or installing ?

19. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

use mightly channel or postloader2

20. Cyan

France
    There a different way to play them.

• Installed on real NAND (with a wad manager, or buying from eshop).

- Run from the Wii menu
    - In USBloaders (at least in GX, I didn't check in other loaders), you can see a list of installed channel and run them directly. In GX : go to the "HBC" icon, and then to the "Wii" icon.

• Installed on emulated NAND.
    First you need to have an emulated nand:
    - Extract your own NAND copy (bootmii, SimpleFSdumper, etc.)
    or
    - Create a clean new NAND copy (check Sneek menu in Modmii to create one).
    Then
    - Place (or extract) the NAND files on an external drive (SD or USB).
    This will act as your own Wii.

Now you can use different methods to install games:
    - Homebrew Method: Use a wad manager with Emulated NAND support and select it when asked where to install (Wii or emu)
    - Computer Method: Use ShowMiiWad to manage your Wad and Emulated Nand.

And to run games from emulated NAND:
    - Sneek or Uneek : Launch your wii on emulated NAND, as if it was a real Wii. Run the games from Wii menu like any official installed games.
    - Triiforce, Mighty Channel : Homebrew used to list and launch installed channels on the emulated NAND.
    - Forwarder ISO : Create ISO to be listed in USBLoaders as if it were Wii games, but redirect to installed Channels in your emulated NAND.

(I'm not sure for this one) - Forwarder channel : create forwarder Channels installed on your real NAND which launch games installed on your emulated NAND.
    CRAP channel creator is used to launch Wii games through USBloaders, I guess it can also be used to launch iso forwarders to emulated nands.

Compatibility
    Of course, the best compatibility is when it's installed on your real NAND. Though, it used a lot of block for the game and the saves, so you will often delete games to install new one.
    When you delete a game, it deletes the save file too, you will have to backup the save before deleting the game from your NAND.

Advantage of the emulated NAND is that you can store it on any FAT32 device and have your Wii with up to 2.2TB (or more, if you have different drives) virtual internal memory instead of 512MB.
    You can install more than 48 channels.
    On sneek you will see only the 48 first channels, but there is a homebrew to select the order they are displayed on the Wii menu, so you can swap them easily.
    On Triiforce/Mighty channel, I think there is no limit on the number of listed games.
    Emulated NAND being on a FAT32, there are games not working good because of savegame filename (using incompatible characters in FAT32). These games are fixed little by little.
    You can check the d2x thread, there is a list of known non working games.

Just do a search in forum > wii > hack and USBloader section, it will be easy to find every homebrew and more informations in their respective topics.