Nintendont Compatibility List Confusion. Explanation of some keys needed.

Fladulator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey everyone,
I'm working on this topic for a few days now but unfortunately without any success. I hex edited MGS Twin Snakes for having true widescreen and I moved on to convert the rest of my GameCube titles into VC Injects via TeconMoon's Script. Now I still don't understand two things:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) is there a list with all of the games which have widescreen hacks hardcoded in Nintendont so that only FORCE WIDESCREEN and WIIU WIDESCREEN have to be enabled to play the games neither zoomed in nor stretched? I can't find anything in Nintendont's GitHub page or anywhere else.

2) Regarding the GBATEMP Nintendont Compatibility List there are different checkmarks without further explanation:

1644927197449.png

Can anyone explain what the differences are between ✔, ✔¹ and ✔² or am I just too blind to find the answers by myself? Because I'm looking for an explanation for a while now :/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Fladulator / TuF

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
first off i wouldnt expect all the widescreen entrys are correct, in many games widescreen does nothing and people still filled it with green check.

for the marks some games have native widescreen and so work with forced one and img uessing the 2 maybe its issues or something, for native gc games with widescreen where no forced is required see this

https://en.everybodywiki.com/List_of_GameCube_games_with_alternate_display_modes

Fladulator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
first off i wouldnt expect all the widescreen entrys are correct, in many games widescreen does nothing and people still filled it with green check.

for the marks some games have native widescreen and so work with forced one and img uessing the 2 maybe its issues or something, for native gc games with widescreen where no forced is required see this

https://en.everybodywiki.com/List_of_GameCube_games_with_alternate_display_modes

Neither do I. Yesterday I started to check all of my games one by one and comparing them to longplays on YouTube before I am going to convert them into VC Injects. This way I can check if the widescreen works good or not. While checking I recognized that there are incomplete and incorrect entries on the list. Example given:

1645002570660.png

To be fair, I check them via the latest Nintendont version. So yeah, Multiplayer in Mario Kart Double Dash!! works perfectly fine with the built-in widescreen code on v6. Same goes with Super Smash Bros. Melee. The stated issues didn't appear within my test. I know the list you posted and already used the information given to sort out the games which have native widescreen support last week. So now I am looking forward to sorting out those games on which I have to turn on the option to FORCE 4:3 on VC Injects.

The compatibility list also says that Crazy Taxi's widescreen doesn't work. On v6 it's zoomed in and the HUD stays in place. So not the whole pic is zoomed in - only the game world. But it looks weird so I decided to FORCE 4:3 this game. FIFA Street 1 is zoomed in as well but in this case elements are missing because they are out of screen which sucks.

Last edited by Fladulator,

Fladulator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I faced another problem. The compatibility list says that Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PAL) is able to be put out in 480p. That's unfortunately not the case. Instead my TV screen gets black and I'm only able to play via the tablet controller. Besides that, my TV stays black saying NO SIGNAL until I restart the console. This means that it cuts off the HDMI video output but has the audio output intact. That's weird. Since the German version is censored I couldn't give less shits anyway.

But it brings up a new thought: The nincfg.bin is stored globally for all games and TeconMoon's script does indeed allow a FORCE 4:3 option but lacks a FORCE INTERLACED or IGNORE PROGRESSIVE option. This is a huge problem because that way I could either inject the games who are capable of 480p or at least ignore the option or inject all games interlaced.

Any ideas?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I faced another problem. The compatibility list says that Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PAL) is able to be put out in 480p. That's unfortunately not the case. Instead my TV screen gets black and I'm only able to play via the tablet controller. Besides that, my TV stays black saying NO SIGNAL until I restart the console. This means that it cuts off the HDMI video output but has the audio output intact. That's weird. Since the German version is censored I couldn't give less shits anyway.

But it brings up a new thought: The nincfg.bin is stored globally for all games and TeconMoon's script does indeed allow a FORCE 4:3 option but lacks a FORCE INTERLACED or IGNORE PROGRESSIVE option. This is a huge problem because that way I could either inject the games who are capable of 480p or at least ignore the option or inject all games interlaced.

Any ideas?
there is not cutting hdmi signal lol

if your tv says no signal but wiiu gamepad works means your tv is not compatible with the signal the game is running.

either your tv doesnt support pal signals or progressive, many tvs dont support some combinations like 50hz 576i or 60hz 576i and so on, wiiu gamepad supports everything, so when you see a game on your gamepad but not on your tv it means your tv does not support the combo.

Reactions: Norris

Fladulator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
WiiU v5.5.5E (EUROPE)
NINTENDONT v6.498

Man, this took like forever. I purposely installed a NINTENDONT channel inside my vWii so the checking process was way faster. Nevertheless... using NINTENDONT v6.498 I will post my results from testing those games which don't have a native widescreen support:

Crazy Taxi (PAL) [GCTP51]
Widescreen: []
// Widescreen zooms the game world in while the HUD stays intact but stretched.
480p: []

FIFA Street 1 (PAL) [GF8P69]
Widescreen: [X]
// Widescreen only stretches the screen.
480p: [X] // The picture is zoomed in, the lower portion of the screen isn't visible through the zoom.

Mario Kart - Double Dash!! (PAL) [GM4P01]
// Also works in multiplayer mode.

Need For Speed: Underground (PAL) [GNDD69]

NHL Hitz 2002 (PAL) [GNHP5D]
480p: [] // Minor glitches during special scenes in the introduction (VS screen-camera right before the kickoff) and screen transitions in the menu.

NHL Hitz 2003 (PAL) [GN3P5D]
480p: [] // Minor glitches during loading screens.

Paper Mario - The Thousand-Year Door (PAL) [G8MP01]
// Menus and overlays are built with 4:3 in mind. E.g. Flash effects only appear within the 4:3 border. You can see objects being rendered outside the 4:3 borders before they should be seen by the player. Not a big deal but for me personally it's an immersion breaker. It's exactly like described right HERE. The compatibility list also says that you need to patch the ISO first but I don't know which one exactly. If I find some time I will do my research. If anyone else could post a link in the meantime, I'd be very thankful :)

Resident Evil 0 (Zero) (PAL) [GBZP08]
// The game uses pre-rendered backgrounds. Widescreen only stretches the screen.
480p: [X] // Game works, but TV screen and Tablet screen are black.

Resident Evil 0 (Zero) (NTSC-U/C) [GBZE08]
// The game uses pre-rendered backgrounds. Widescreen only stretches the screen.
480p: [] // Game works, but screen is zoomed in, so that the lower part of the screen is cut off. Also CGI cutscenes are slowed down disgustingly.

Resident Evil Remake (PAL) [GBIP08]
480p: [] // Game works, but TV screen and Tablet screen are black when combined with the native 60Hz mode. In 50Hz mode the picture is zoomed in. Can be played but cuts off the lower portion of the screen. Personally said, there's no reason playing the game like that besides an ugly challenge.

Resident Evil Remake (NTSC-UC) [GBIE08]

Resident Evil 2 (PAL) [GHAP08]

Resident Evil 2 (NTSC-U/C) [GHAE08]

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PAL) [GLEP08]
480p: [X] // TV turns black and loses video signal. Audio signal stays intact. The tablet controller doesn't lose any signal. The effects stay until the console is rebooted again. // EDIT: It could be just an incompatibility with my TV screen like mentioned by @pedro702. When I find some time, I will check on another device.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (NTSC-U/C) [GLEE08]

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X (PAL) [GCDP08]

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X (NTSC-U/C) [GCDE08]

Resident Evil 4 (AT, PAL) [G4BP08]
// Menus are built in 4:3 in mind. E.g. Flash effects only appear within the 4:3 border. While codec calls Leon's body is seen outside the frame. Item menu shows hidden objects, too. Within those menus some texts are slightly off position. But all that is ok to live with.
480p: [] // The picture is totally fucked up and weirdly stretched and squeezed when combined with the native 60Hz mode. After resetting (R+ZR+START on the Pro Controller or Tablet controller) the game resets and works fine (don't know if it uses 50Hz then). Otherwise the effects can stay until the console is rebooted again sometimes.

Resident Evil 4 (NTSC-U/C) [G4BE08]
// Menus are built in 4:3 in mind. E.g. Flash effects only appear within the 4:3 border. While codec calls Leon's body is seen outside the frame. Item menu shows hidden objects, too. Within those menus some texts are slightly off position. But all that is ok to live with.

Second Sight (EUR) [GISP36]
// The picture is zoomed in. Can be played but cuts off the lower portion of the screen.

Star Wars - Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast (GER) [GJKD52]

Super Mario Sunshine (PAL) [GMSP01]

Super Smash Bros. Melee (PAL) [GALP01]
// Couldn't notice any 4:3 border problems like stated in the compatibility list.

The Legend of Zelda - Collector's Edition (EUR) [PZLP01]
// 3D Zeldas work fine. Ocarina of Time has only stretched screens while the game uses static images as backgrounds like in Link's tree house. In that case, the player's position mismatches the image and it feels off walking against invisible boundaries and through passways in the middle of the screen. Besides that, I didn't see any flaws in the first few minutes of playing. The 2D Zeldas are stretched of course.

The Legend of Zelda - Four Swords Adventures (EUR) [G4SP01]
// Without patch, the game is just stretched. The compatibility list says that you need to patch the ISO first but I don't know which one exactly. If I find some time I will do my research. If anyone else could post a link in the meantime, I'd be very thankful :)

The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time & Master Quest (Wind Waker Disc 2) (EUR) [D43P01]
// Ocarina of Time & Master Quest have only stretched screens while the game uses static images as backgrounds like in Link's tree house. In that case, the player's position mismatches the image and it feels off walking against invisible boundaries and through passways in the middle of the screen. Besides that, I didn't see any flaws in the first few minutes of playing. I only checked Master Quest.

The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess (PAL) [GZ2P01]

TimeSplitters 2 (PAL) [GTSP4F]
// The picture is zoomed in. Can be played but cuts off the lower portion of the screen. Sound is out of sync during cutscenes.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (DE, PAL) [GT3D52]
480p: [X]
// The picture is zoomed in heavily.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (DE, PAL) [GT3D52]
// Unlike stated in THIS LIST, THPS4 has a native widescreen support.

XIII (EUR) [GX3X41]

TO BE CONTINUED...

EDIT 2022-02-17
added Resident Evil Remake, Zero, 2, 3, 4, Code: Veronica (all [NTSC-U/C])

Last edited by Fladulator,

Fladulator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there is not cutting hdmi signal lol

if your tv says no signal but wiiu gamepad works means your tv is not compatible with the signal the game is running.

either your tv doesnt support pal signals or progressive, many tvs dont support some combinations like 50hz 576i or 60hz 576i and so on, wiiu gamepad supports everything, so when you see a game on your gamepad but not on your tv it means your tv does not support the combo.

I use a full HD (1920x1080, progressive) TV. All the formats are supported as seen in my list above. It's just these few specific titles. Also I live in Germany, so PAL is the standard for SD here. Nevertheless I will try the US versions within the next few days.

Do you have any ideas regarding an option for ignoring progressive mode while creating the VC injects?

Thx in advance :)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I use a full HD (1920x1080, progressive) TV. All the formats are supported as seen in my list above. It's just these few specific titles. Also I live in Germany, so PAL is the standard for SD here. Nevertheless I will try the US versions within the next few days.

Do you have any ideas regarding an option for ignoring progressive mode while creating the VC injects?

Thx in advance :)
if you live in germany and you are forcing 480p on a pal game the pal game is probably being forced to ntsc which might not be compatible with some combination on your tv, incase you didnt know there is no hdmi cut or screen cut becuase nintendont is not made for wiiu mode therefore the wiiugamepad only streams what the wiiu gives it since its a vwii title therefore the exact same stream is being transmited to your tv and gamepad alike , it might even be some weird combo of resolutions and forced stuff that your tv simply doesnt support, even in pal regions lots of tvs dont support many older signals this days.

Also to get correctly forced 480p to work you need to also force videomode to ntsc since without forced ntsc most forced 480p does not work.

Fladulator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if you live in germany and you are forcing 480p on a pal game the pal game is probably being forced to ntsc which might not be compatible with some combination on your tv, incase you didnt know there is no hdmi cut or screen cut becuase nintendont is not made for wiiu mode therefore the wiiugamepad only streams what the wiiu gives it since its a vwii title therefore the exact same stream is being transmited to your tv and gamepad alike , it might even be some weird combo of resolutions and forced stuff that your tv simply doesnt support, even in pal regions lots of tvs dont support many older signals this days.

Also to get correctly forced 480p to work you need to also force videomode to ntsc since without forced ntsc most forced 480p does not work.

Thank you for the clarification. Indeed, I didn't know. Also the NINTENDONT options aren't explained very detailedly. The explanations found let room for interpretation in my opinion. As long as I don't find any answers I have to check all the stuff by myself which is heavily time consuming. For the list above I almost needed the whole day (working from home currently).

So do you suggest I should turn off the 480p option in general? I don't use any FORCE NTSC option nor FIX PAL 50Hz option to begin with. But I swear I see a difference between having FORCE PROGRESSIVE enabled or not. I'm currently testing all the games entering vWii mode and using the NINTENDONT channel because that way is way faster to select the next game in the list after pressing the home button on the pro controller. The NINTENDONT WiiU Forwarder kicks me back into the WiiU menu after pressing the home button and that takes way longer than being kicked into vWii mode after pressing the button.

Thank you for your help :)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thank you for the clarification. Indeed, I didn't know. Also the NINTENDONT options aren't explained very detailedly. The explanations found let room for interpretation in my opinion. As long as I don't find any answers I have to check all the stuff by myself which is heavily time consuming. For the list above I almost needed the whole day (working from home currently).

So do you suggest I should turn off the 480p option in general? I don't use any FORCE NTSC option nor FIX PAL 50Hz option to begin with. But I swear I see a difference between having FORCE PROGRESSIVE enabled or not. I'm currently testing all the games entering vWii mode and using the NINTENDONT channel because that way is way faster to select the next game in the list after pressing the home button on the pro controller. The NINTENDONT WiiU Forwarder kicks me back into the WiiU menu after pressing the home button and that takes way longer than being kicked into vWii mode after pressing the button.

Thank you for your help :)
you can test forced video to ntsc and forced progressive, some games will work so wont, many pal games dont like being forced but most are ok with it.

Amuro-san

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I really wanted to put Resident Evil 2 PAL in 60hz, unfortunately when I put the code 60HZ the screen enlarges and gets cut, Resident Evil 3 PAL the 60Hz gecko code works perfectly and with the code you can force the video to progressive, someone has to make a gecko code that works on Nintendont

Fladulator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really wanted to put Resident Evil 2 PAL in 60hz, unfortunately when I put the code 60HZ the screen enlarges and gets cut, Resident Evil 3 PAL the 60Hz gecko code works perfectly and with the code you can force the video to progressive, someone has to make a gecko code that works on Nintendont

An alternative would be to hex-edit the values in the ISO files. As far as I understood Gecko codes don't seem to work as intended on WiiU but I'm currently not deep enough in the topic to give a proper statement about this. My goal was to inject those games into my WiiU and therefore I checked manually which games could work properly with the global nincfg and which don't. For all the other games I stick to WiiFlo Lite in which the config for each game could be stored manually.

Since there's no reason for me having the PAL versions of RE2 and RE3 injuected besides the German language (both titles are cut heavily if German is selected) I just got along with the NTSC-U/C versions which were faster by nature and uncut.

Reactions: Amuro-san

Amuro-san

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
An alternative would be to hex-edit the values in the ISO files. As far as I understood Gecko codes don't seem to work as intended on WiiU but I'm currently not deep enough in the topic to give a proper statement about this. My goal was to inject those games into my WiiU and therefore I checked manually which games could work properly with the global nincfg and which don't. For all the other games I stick to WiiFlo Lite in which the config for each game could be stored manually.

Since there's no reason for me having the PAL versions of RE2 and RE3 injuected besides the German language (both titles are cut heavily if German is selected) I just got along with the NTSC-U/C versions which were faster by nature and uncut.
well 3 and Code Veronica work perfectly, the problem is only 2 and just now that I've finished Zelda and I want to marathon the saga, apparently 2 will be the only one I'll have to play at 50Hz anyway

michalt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello, I have been investigating what is the best option to run GameCube games via Nintendont on my PAL WiiIU: NTSC or PAL.
I would not like to tweak or test the settings game by game.

Apart from local language support, it seems NTSC is more straightforward and easy option: 60hz and 480 progressive for all (almost all) games. You can always check if NTSC version additionally support widescreen, but, I assume, GameCube games should always work in 4:3.

Is my assumption correct? ;-)

Amuro-san

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello, I have been investigating what is the best option to run GameCube games via Nintendont on my PAL WiiIU: NTSC or PAL.
I would not like to tweak or test the settings game by game.

Apart from local language support, it seems NTSC is more straightforward and easy option: 60hz and 480 progressive for all (almost all) games. You can always check if NTSC version additionally support widescreen, but, I assume, GameCube games should always work in 4:3.

Is my assumption correct? ;-)
yes some games have wide screen codes

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1