Hacking solder mistake

thegame247

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i went to solder the point for the auto rcm and the point lifted and is gone. is my nintendo switch ruined? how can i fix this? i have it circled yellow in the picture

Attachments

• 20190715_155906.jpg
    20190715_155906.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 155

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
It should be OK. Those test points are just that. Test points. They aren't on a line that continues somewhere nor is there via in them. (At least that what it seem like to me, can't remember now for sure)

kylum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mattytrog could verify this but I do believe you will have to use a jumper to bridge the adjacent pad to the trace or to the connector. Your joycon wont work correctly when physically connected. It is 100% definitely repairable. But if you lifted that pad then I would practice on some trash electronics first. I’m pretty sure your iron was to hot or you left it touching for waaaayyyyy to long.

Yes there is a via running to the other side of the board for that line. It’s running from pin 10 or pin 1 of the joycon, can’t remember which.

How did the rest of your solder points look?

Last edited by kylum,
Reactions: mattytrog

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so i went to solder the point for the auto rcm and the point lifted and is gone. is my nintendo switch ruined? how can i fix this? i have it circled yellow in the picture
Not ruined at all sir!

You will need access to the back of the board though to fix this (maybe depending on how the trace lifted)

Take a pic of the broken trace and post pleeeeease :)

thegame247

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not ruined at all sir!

You will need access to the back of the board though to fix this (maybe depending on how the trace lifted)

Take a pic of the broken trace and post pleeeeease :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i dont even think theres a trace going to it. just a point?

Attachments

• 20190715_195359.jpg
    20190715_195359.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 138

snake2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the same thing on my first rebug install, instead of fixing the trace I opted to just run a jumper wire from test point G 9 to ground. This let me enter RCM but now the right joycon operates in wireless all the time

https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Testpads

On new installs what I do is solder a 10k ohm resister between the test point above and ground, this will let the switch enter RCM without a jig but can still detect when the joycon is connected or disconnected

kylum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i dont even think theres a trace going to it. just a point?
There is a trace. It’s under the ribbon cable going to the other side of the board. Remove the ribbon cable and clean the flux off the board, then try take a more clearer picture.

thegame247

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a trace. It’s under the ribbon cable going to the other side of the board. Remove the ribbon cable and clean the flux off the board, then try take a more clearer picture.

Attachments

• tempFileForShare_20190715-204932.jpg
    tempFileForShare_20190715-204932.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 92

kylum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the the pad you lifted and the one just to the right are connected. You need to make a jumper from the
un-lifted pad to the joycon ribbon connector and/or trace. Maybe Matty can assist you with an alternate location or better advice. If you don’t have enough experience you can destroy the connector and what trace you have left.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/26/24206529/intel-13th-14th-gen-crashing-instability-cpu-voltage-q-a