solder mistake

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by thegame247, Jul 15, 2019.

1. thegame247
    OP

thegame247 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2019
    United States
    so i went to solder the point for the auto rcm and the point lifted and is gone. is my nintendo switch ruined? how can i fix this? i have it circled yellow in the picture

Attached Files:

2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    It should be OK. Those test points are just that. Test points. They aren't on a line that continues somewhere nor is there via in them. (At least that what it seem like to me, can't remember now for sure)

3. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Addict

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    You can still use the point of you use a razer blade to expose the trace..just make sure it's the same exact one before doing this

Captain_N and GraFfiX420 like this.
  4. kylum

kylum GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2008
    United States
    @mattytrog could verify this but I do believe you will have to use a jumper to bridge the adjacent pad to the trace or to the connector. Your joycon wont work correctly when physically connected. It is 100% definitely repairable. But if you lifted that pad then I would practice on some trash electronics first. I’m pretty sure your iron was to hot or you left it touching for waaaayyyyy to long.

Yes there is a via running to the other side of the board for that line. It’s running from pin 10 or pin 1 of the joycon, can’t remember which.

How did the rest of your solder points look?

Last edited by kylum, Jul 16, 2019
    mattytrog likes this.
  5. mattytrog

mattytrog You don`t want to listen to anything I say.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Not ruined at all sir!

You will need access to the back of the board though to fix this (maybe depending on how the trace lifted)

Take a pic of the broken trace and post pleeeeease :)

6. thegame247
    OP

thegame247 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2019
    United States
    — Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

i dont even think theres a trace going to it. just a point?

Attached Files:

7. snake2

snake2 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2008
    United States
    I did the same thing on my first rebug install, instead of fixing the trace I opted to just run a jumper wire from test point G 9 to ground. This let me enter RCM but now the right joycon operates in wireless all the time

https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Testpads

On new installs what I do is solder a 10k ohm resister between the test point above and ground, this will let the switch enter RCM without a jig but can still detect when the joycon is connected or disconnected

8. kylum

kylum GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2008
    United States
    There is a trace. It’s under the ribbon cable going to the other side of the board. Remove the ribbon cable and clean the flux off the board, then try take a more clearer picture.

9. thegame247
    OP

thegame247 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2019
    United States

Attached Files:

10. kylum

kylum GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2008
    United States
    So the the pad you lifted and the one just to the right are connected. You need to make a jumper from the
    un-lifted pad to the joycon ribbon connector and/or trace. Maybe Matty can assist you with an alternate location or better advice. If you don’t have enough experience you can destroy the connector and what trace you have left.