Hacking Softmod Possible?

MisterJohnson87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Realistically with current developments would a softmod be possible somepoint down the line?

Like would we be able to run homebrew / launch games etc without the need of a flashcart?

Reactions: AbdulaPizdec

mmn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only people currently interested in launching games via a softmod are flashcart developers. They want to sell their flashcarts, so they'll make their exploit require a flashcart.

We can already launch homebrew without a flashcart, via Ninjhax.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes. Some people are working on it. Is it a sure thing that will happen? Nobody can say for sure.

The only people currently interested in launching games via a softmod are flashcart developers. They want to sell their flashcarts, so they'll make their exploit require a flashcart.
We can already launch homebrew without a flashcart, via Ninjhax.
Uhh, what? Ninjhax requires a CubicNinja flashcart, or a piracy flashcart.

Also, to say the only people interested in launching games via a softmod are flashcart developers is kind of silly, when you see that nearly every other console that has existed, has had people who developed methods to launch games freely without proprietary hardware. Many people have that as a hobby.

MisterJohnson87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It'd be nice to have a complete softmod option with emunand without the need of a flashcart. I'm considering buying a Gateway but am on the fence as with these recent developments I don't want to rush and buy one for someone to come out with a softmod solution

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're counting "only with a DS-mode flashcart", it's already possible to use Gateway's exploit to install CFW on your 3DS, but there's not much support for updating and perhaps one day we'll see a new CFW that challenges EmuNAND.

Otherwise, it's hard to say. People are currently disassembling/analyzing Gateway's Launcher.dat and likely also looking at Smealum's now open-source ninjhax exploit, so maybe it could happen soon?

In my opinion, I think it's only a matter of time before someone writes a new Pseudo-Gateway Launcher.dat to boot EmuNAND without a red card, but I could be wrong.

In the end, there's no real way to tell, so we're back to speculation in that regard.

Reactions: HEX1GON

mmn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Some people are working on it. Is it a sure thing that will happen? Nobody can say for sure.

Uhh, what? Ninjhax requires a CubicNinja flashcart, or a piracy flashcart.

Also, to say the only people interested in launching games via a softmod are flashcart developers is kind of silly, when you see that nearly every other console that has existed, has had people who developed methods to launch games freely without proprietary hardware. Many people have that as a hobby.

Oh, I was under the impression that flashcart was the term used for piracy/homebrew devices, not all physical carts.

kutteke

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
In general flashcart is used as the term for piracy devices. But an original is basically a Cart with FLASH memory containing a game... so yeah :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Oh, I was under the impression that flashcart was the term used for piracy/homebrew devices, not all physical carts.
it is, people are just being picky, but many softmods have had game requirements attached to achieve, like splintercell etc on the original xbox smash bros/twilight princess on the wii (inb4 bannerbomb etc.....yeah, but softmods needing games came first)

people will always want a 100% free method, you know omitting the fact that they have bought a console, but resent spending a few bucks on anything else no matter how much they save in the long run:rolleyes:

softmod, just means the exploit is completely software based and not based on addition hardware....i would class a game as software, even though the cart itself technically hardware

Reactions: VinsCool

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
You will need a flashcard but it only has to be a DS mode flashcard that works with 4.5 as you can downgrade to 4.5 with Gateway 3.01 and you can than install CFW with a custom Launcher.dat and the ROP installer on the DS mode flashcard (Meaning you can pirate/homebrew for ~10-20 dollars). Then install BigBlueMenu via DevMenu and you can install .cia (DevMenu can also do that, but BigBlueMenu has more options you might be intressted in)

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
it is, people are just being picky, but many softmods have had game requirements attached to achieve, like splintercell etc on the original xbox smash bros/twilight princess on the wii (inb4 bannerbomb etc.....yeah, but softmods needing games came first)

people will always want a 100% free method, you know omitting the fact that they have bought a console, but resent spending a few bucks on anything else no matter how much they save in the long run:rolleyes:

softmod, just means the exploit is completely software based and not based on addition hardware....i would class a game as software, even though the cart itself technically hardware

faceraiders exploit then, right?
point at the wizard robe and the 3ds just opens herself to you, attaches to your brain and gives you all you want.

Reactions: gamesquest1

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
faceraiders exploit then, right?
point at the wizard robe and the 3ds just opens herself to you, attaches to your brain and gives you all you want.
im sure even a hack that involved just pressing A, you would still have someone complaining that its too much effort for them #somepeopleareNEVERhappy

Reactions: VinsCool

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gateway is pretty much exactly what you're talking about OP, only the GW team have implemented checks at certain points (launching emunand for example) to make sure you've bought their product, just for the $$$

From a technical perspective you don't need a GW so if someone could overcome those checks then yeah

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Not if it is not needed every time, but only once. Well actually people would still complain: "Why this thing no piracy out o' box?!"
trust me, no matter what, there will be someone complaining, how things go
4.x only exploit-----> WTF they are limiting it to only 4.x the idiots...and i dont want to buy flashcard for homebrewwwwz
ninjhax released----->WTF we need a game....and WTF WHEREZ DA ROMZ!
gateway 9.2 support announced----->wtf what if their site goes down....we need offline....and when can someone mod it for free ROMZ!...wand what about 9.3+ support :angry:
offline solution for android phone released-----> WTF this still isnt good enuff for me!
downgrade released----> WFT leaked CFW is not good enough, we need all the gateway features FOR FREEE NNNAOW DEVS FKN GO DO IT YOU SUCK!

all of this comes from the same people.

Thomas12345

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
trust me, no matter what, there will be someone complaining, how things go
4.x only exploit-----> WTF they are limiting it to only 4.x the idiots...and i dont want to buy flashcard for homebrewwwwz
ninjhax released----->WTF we need a game....and WTF WHEREZ DA ROMZ!
gateway 9.2 support announced----->wtf what if their site goes down....we need offline....and when can someone mod it for free ROMZ!...wand what about 9.3+ support :angry:
offline solution for android phone released-----> WTF this still isnt good enuff for me!
downgrade released----> WFT leaked CFW is not good enough, we need all the gateway features FOR FREEE NNNAOW DEVS FKN GO DO IT YOU SUCK!

all of this comes from the same people.

The only thing that actually matters is NO N3DS SUPPORT

N3DS users are an elite and richer group, so we should get special treatment

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: