SoftMod a Gamecube via Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sanoblue, Jun 6, 2010.

Jun 6, 2010

SoftMod a Gamecube via Wii? by sanoblue at 8:29 AM (7,123 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. sanoblue
    OP

Member sanoblue The Fuzzy Blue Woof!

United States
    Is it possible to softmod a Game Cube Using a Softmodded wii?

(donno if this is in the right place)

2. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    What kind of softmod are you referring to? Action Replay? or the PSO exploit?

3. sanoblue
    OP

United States
    im wanting to load any form of soft mod i have both action replay and pso. i however do not have a way of getting files on the gc mem card other than the wii... ie no Ethernet port or gecko. just wondering if there was a way to get the files on the card via the wii and then launch it on gamecube

4. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    Well, the PSO exploit is ruled out on the Wii since the EXI bus isn't exposed on the Wii(where the Ethernet adapter would plug in)..You should just use an AR.

5. sanoblue
    OP

United States
    ok so how would i accomplish this? im lost

6. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    What are you able to do with a softmodded gamecube without SD-Gecko? I thought you need that to load homebrew, loaders and stuff?

If you just need some data on the gamecube memory card, then you need to look close on how the softmodding of a gamecube works. If it boots some homebrew that actually writes the data you want to the memory card, then you might want to launch that homebrew on your Wii as gamecube homebrew.

7. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    So, you want to use your Wii to put a softmod (such as using GCOS) onto your GC memcard, then use said moded memcard on a GC?

I think I know how you can do it.

I haven't actually tried this though, since I use an AR+SD Gecko+SD BOOT.

You'll first have to enable the ability to load GC Homebrew on your Wii with Wii GC Homebrew launcher:
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Gamecube_Homebrew_Launcher

Then just follow this guide:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/321246

But when it says to load a dol, just load it and run it via Wii GC Homebrew Launcher instead of PSO+BBA/Max Drive PRO.

The guide appears to get you to format your GC memcard, so best use a spare memcard that has nothing on it.

So all you have to do is setup Wii GC Homebrew Launcher, then run the 4 .dols in that guide as per instructions, but via Wii GC Homebrew launcher.

And then put the GC memcard into slot B of your GC and load up your AR, then select "Start game"

In theory this should work for you but since I haven't done this before I'm not 100% sure that it will.

Try it out and tell us if it works.
    I hope it works.

8. sanoblue
    OP

United States
    thanks ill try this tonight [​IMG]

9. sanoblue
    OP

United States
    ok got GCOS on the gamecube but its not loading backups [​IMG]

update nevermind i got it working.... needed to adjust my pot

10. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    Nice!

Good to know you got it working!

11. sanoblue
    OP

United States
    yep yep [​IMG] been looking online for compadiblility list for gcos but cant find one

12. zeedds

Member zeedds GBAtemp Regular

United States
    my wii cant play backups but I have a gamecube. does this mean I can run game backups on my gamecube with a softmod?

13. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    You need mini DVDs or a gamecube case mod for this, that i know for sure. I'm not sure which requirements you have to acutally boot backups on a softmodded gamecube, but i think you always need some disc the gamecube boots, there you do something that allows to boot gamecube homebrew, and there's a gamecube homebrew backup loader. Maybe an Action Replay is enough, if you have some way to get your loader to the GC memory card.

But if you need to buy something anyways, i suggest to look for SD-Boot from emu_kidid, buy a SD-Gecko and play the gamecube games on Wii.

14. nikeymikey

Member nikeymikey Waiting for SALT to rescue the Wii U Scene!!

United Kingdom
    Can anyone link me to files needed? the links on the afterdawn page is down :-(

Also can i substitute in the latest gcos v4F (i think)?

15. baldersmashed

Newcomer baldersmashed Newbie

United States
    I have tried this method, but I can't get wii gamecube homebrew launcher to work. I get an error message saying that it can't load start.dol from front-sd. Anybody know what the problem is?

Before the replies come in, please consider these things:
    1) I DON'T WANT TO BUY AN ADAPTER OF ANY SORT! I am frustrated beyond belief at time of writing and I will ignore any posts with this kind of suggestion. This is as nice as I can put it.

2) I have mios V5. I have tried mios v5 patched with the patcher. I have tried CMIOS v5. I have even tried CMIOS v5 patched. NONE WORKED.

3) I have tried without a gamecube memory card inserted. Some programs like the patcher won't work if you have one in the wii when you try to use it.

4)I have tried loading it with the wii homebrew loader as well. I can't get the channel for that to load, nor the homebrew channel .dol file either. It just give me a black screen. Have also tried loading it with the bannerbomb loader by replacing its boot.dol with wii homebrew loader's to no avail.

5) I have scoured the internet for an answer to this, but I can't get wii gamecube homebrew launcher to work with any suggestions. And when I say scoured, I mean pored for hours over so many possible permutations of the name of the program and error I am getting.

Any and all help would be immensely appreciated!! THanks!

16. Jinx_Dojo

Newcomer Jinx_Dojo Member

United States
    I, too, thought this would be great if possible. I had read that it was possible to boot code from a memory card on the PS2 (to run Free McBoot), and thought maybe the same were true for Gamecube (to run GCoS). The really neat thing about the PS2 possibility was that existing soft-modded memory cards could be used to soft-mod more memory cards--this is what made me think of using the (easily soft-moddable) Wii to generate a memory card for Gamecube.

I talked to emu_kidid, however, and he indicated that no memory card exploit yet exists for the Gamecube, nor has development of an alternative boot method yet been viable. Therefore, there are apparently only really a couple options for soft-mods: Action Replay and SD Media Launcher. The former is apparently superseded by the latter, so, unless you want to solder, the SD Media Launcher seems the only realistic way to go.

Of course, if you have a Wii, exciting developments have been occurring lately with DML and DM. Compatibility isn't too bad from what I can tell.

17. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar