OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Old Bessie is in trouble.....Hangs at the processor screen for 10-20 seconds and it's not looking good.
So I bought a new Thermal take I don't know if this comes with thermal paste or not but it looks pretty diesed for a
Thermal Take http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...DE=WEBLET03SHIP . I'm hoping I can save the cpu because even though it's a pretty old desktop that processor still goes for around 70-80 today. Well I'll be checking tracking number and such.

IT STILL BOOTED.

Even though it hung on the CPU splash for 10-20 it still booted last time I tried.

Haven't turned it on since. Anyone think the cpu might recover ala new thermal take and paste?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
First of, thermal take is a brand, not a type of product. You mean a heatsink + fan
wink.gif
. Anyway, sounds to me alike a number of things could be wrong with it.

Please disable the boot splash and use some real POST. In the bios there should be a feature to disable the bootsplash. Then you can see WHERE it fails
wink.gif
. You could try running memtest too if you get that far, if that works you could try a reinstall. I get the feeling you don't know what the problem really is but are just randomly trying to fix it
smile.gif

Another thing you could try:
Tried running it as bare as possible? Try removing all components (maybe exclude the CPU and heatsink + fan from removing everything) and see how far you can go. So first try running it with just the mobo+cpu+heatsink 'n fan. That should give you a ram error (as in, there aint no ram silly!). Then add the ram. If stuff already starts dying there or without the ram even, you'll need to look for another motherboard (preferably one known working with your processor) in order to test your proc.

P.S. If my post seems a little weird, I edited it half-way through as I thought of something
tongue.gif
. Ah, and from what you are saying I deduce you have a socket 939 system (seeing as you are saying your proc is still worth that much) eventhough the cpu fan/heatsink you selected seems to only support socket 775......?

mattsaysfooey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'm well aware of cpu+heat sink and fan lol. And.....the ram is all pretty new(er) 1768 DDR 3200 and it seemed fine. Awhile back I had some ram related BSODS but threw that stick out/ gave it to the lab at my first college (worked on a IBM though - just not my comp anymore). No ram issues since. But yeah the processor is in bad shape for sure waiting for the new cpu fan with heatsink and hoping it might save it? Idk But the processor stills goes for change. Also a couple of the capacitors on the mobo looks a little distressed/burnt but FUNCTIONAL not popped. Slightly burnt/charred on the top....Not popped or fried. Errr I don't think a old walmart logitech would do us any justice but...
3790994270_f5aef8222a.jpg
The three caps above the cpu tray have that type of distress/marking on the top.......After looking through my combo kit i don't see any of those caps in there maybe pull em out of the old broken down win98 era comps i'm using as stands for a desk extension? Solder them in?

Additional EDIT I turned the old cpu fan+heat sink in with the WRONG one they sent then frantically ordered one off ebay AND
TigerDirect. I can't check right now i'd cook the thing total. Socket 775 P4 dual core 3.0 ghz with HT 1 MB L2 cache 800 mhz FSB.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Right, so I still can't really distill the problem from what you post. Regardless though those caps aren't good news for your motherboard (as those are most probably not fully functional, other then you think
wink.gif
). If you can replace them with proper replacements parts then that might solve your problem (but you might be better of getting a new socket 775 board, they can be picked up pretty cheap nowadays).

mattsaysfooey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow huh? Mobo and cpu? So much for paying down my student loan all the way off during my sabbatical.
Well if I'm this ^**&ed right now I might as well snap one of the MAYBE fried capacitors and check with my meter then check it on the charts? Oh yeah the problem is obviously over heating and the cpu fan and heat sink finally wore down all the way.
How many times can you clean and snap on and off a heatsink in .....6 years? wow lmfao Amazing it lasted that long I guess

EDIT after I fix the caps.....if this new cpu cooler doesn't save it I might......Buy a new case,mobo and cpu that fit the rest of the components. The case is pretty beat up as well the whole face plate snaps right off whenever I move it to work on it.

moose3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I tried my hand at being a necro-engineer and brought 2 mobo's back to life by replacing bad capacitors. Take a look at badcaps.net as you can custom order capacitors with the exact voltage/capacitance to match what you need from them. Unless you have a specialty electronics hardware store nearby (radio shack doesn't count) it's hard to buy just what you need online from a parts supply store, or it was for me a year ago. Just make sure to wiggle them a bit afterwards to make sure you had good joints when you soldered the new ones in place.

Oh, and I'd say the discolored ones that have the dome instead of a flat top should be considered dead, and check the bottoms of similar ones/look for the fluid on the board. I had some where the top was normal and the bottom blew out.

mattsaysfooey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The cap(s) tested fine on my meter then I soldered them back in. The new cpu fan with heatsink got here and sounds great running smooth. The thermal gel and new coolant system saved the day. YES!!!! Posting from said comp right now.
nonamewin.jpg
Looking and sounding good. Doesn't hang on processor splash anymore and boots right up.
biggrin.gif
Old Bessie is Fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol
    19 inches it was glorious lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, If it doesn't fit, you should've gotten one smaller lol
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If a racoon can fit up to 8-inches then so be it
    +1
    Lol it it fits I sit? Lol
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Will it blend lol
    +1
    Blended families!!!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Blended families!!!