Homebrew So the entire source code for Pokemon Diamond & Pearl just leaked online.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure but it'll be illegal and won't be shared here. (the download for the if someone makes the port)
True. I just wanted to share the news here. But I don't think it'll stop someone from trying. That Super Mario 64 SDL port is still online (and that got ported to Switch). The important thing is to just dead drop it. Don't hype anything.

Last edited by VinsCool, , Reason: Unneeded quote reply snipped
Reactions: Stealphie

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
True. I just wanted to share the news here. But I don't think it'll stop someone from trying. That Super Mario 64 SDL port is still online (and that got ported to Switch). The important thing is to just dead drop it. Don't hype anything.
The super mario 64 port is not taken down because it is made from a legal decompilation, not a source code leak

Last edited by VinsCool, , Reason: Removed snipped content
Reactions: fmkid

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The super mario 64 port is not taken down because it is made from a legal decompilation, not a source code leak
It got distributed as a pre-compiled binary (by 3rd parties/these are still available) and their GitHub got DMCA'd by Nintendo (it's back up now though).

Last edited by Pickle_Rick,

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i watched that whole video twice thinking i missed something but apparently your thread title is just click bait. Yeah it was leaked but the video posted talks about it exactly 0% maybe post something relative to your actual thread title.

As for the leaks they are gold and hope they keep coming.

Last edited by wartutor,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DS source code does not make for a quick and easy port job, or even compilation to run on a DS. If you want widescreen get a better emulator and set the camera to match it via a conventional hack.

The DS SDK is pretty locked down, especially the later versions, and most code we have seen in the past (with every reason to think it continued here) has been similarly less than great for porting efforts (premade headers, few custom tweaks to compilers, assets tending to be created via custom plugins to DS era specific versions of professional grade tools and so on). Great for hackers and those looking to get a final word on how a mechanic works for the likes of https://www.dragonflycave.com/mechanics/gen-i-capturing but porting efforts will have to be after this (or more the mainstream ROM) is fully reverse engineered which will likely be a while.

"legal decompilation" is not a thing. It is not as bad as a source code leak but still pretty far from legitimate free to use code.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i watched that whole video twice thinking i missed something but apparently your thread title is just click bait. Yeah it was leaked but the video posted talks about it exactly 0% maybe post something relative to your actual thread title.

As for the leaks they are gold and hope they keep coming.
What do you mean click bait? The video is only linked because he lists all the games that leaked online. Which includes D&P.

DS source code does not make for a quick and easy port job, or even compilation to run on a DS. If you want widescreen get a better emulator and set the camera to match it via a conventional hack.

The DS SDK is pretty locked down, especially the later versions, and most code we have seen in the past (with every reason to think it continued here) has been similarly less than great for porting efforts (premade headers, few custom tweaks to compilers, assets tending to be created via custom plugins to DS era specific versions of professional grade tools and so on). Great for hackers and those looking to get a final word on how a mechanic works for the likes of https://www.dragonflycave.com/mechanics/gen-i-capturing but porting efforts will have to be after this (or more the mainstream ROM) is fully reverse engineered which will likely be a while.

"legal decompilation" is not a thing. It is not as bad as a source code leak but still pretty far from legitimate free to use code.
Yeah I figured it wouldn't be easy. But once someone makes an SDL (or something) port and replaces all the platform specific code it opens the floodgates for it to be easy ported to every other device.

Holy shit, I knew abut this leak already but after your widescreen post i realize we will finally get to play these games in 60FPS!
Didn't even think about removing the FPS cap but you're right.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also @VinsCool, if you're going to delete all of our replies you could at least delete the original inflammatory post as well. Why does he get to be an ass and we can't even tell him to f*** off?

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My ideas:
  • Locked 60 frames per second
  • Higher internal resolution
  • Anti aliasing on PC for sure, on a per-case basis for other platforms (depends on whether 60 FPS can be maintained or not)
  • Optional extra: Autostereoscopic 3D support for a Nintendo 3DS port (if possible to do while maintaining 60 FPS on "New" 3DS). Make every 3d model in the game Autosteroscopic 3D (anything that is not a 2d sprite). Optionally on top of that, make in-battle 2d Pokémon sprites display in Autosteroscopic 3D.... for example the opponent's Pokémon will be visibly at a distance but your own Pokémon "pop" up somewhat and are visibly closer, and also every move and spell and item used etc. their effects on the screen are shown in Autosteroscopic 3D space.
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The most important thing:

• Proper optimization. This should run well locked 60 FPS on "potato" PCs when playing it at even double the original internal resolution

Last edited by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee,

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I don't think someone would even try to get sued by Nintendo on using their copyright just to suffice the wishes of kiddies for a native port of Pokemon on <name your system here>.

Something that should be understood in the most clear possible way, is that the decompilation of Super Mario 64 has nothing to do with any of those leaks and as such, it is legal as of the copyright fair use principle (see: 17 U.S.C. § 1201 (2017) – Circumvention of Copyright Protection Systems - § 1201(f)(2)). .

Reactions: Kioku and IC_

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I figured it wouldn't be easy. But once someone makes an SDL (or something) port and replaces all the platform specific code it opens the floodgates for it to be easy ported to every other device?

Platform specific code is the tip of the iceberg in this case, even if you are going to kick it all to the PC and allow the PC's immense power difference to make up for any platform optimisation differences and quirks.

I would more likely take the approach of reverse engineering a design document from the code (think the capture maths above but also every other battle mechanic, walking, possibly logic handing, minigame and the like) and implementing that in something new. Maybe you could get a bit of copy and paste action going on and some things in the prebaked stuff you can get from context in the code. You would also have the design from scratch or implement a means to pull existing assets problem to consider in this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water