1. Pickle_Rick

OP Pickle_Rick I'm a pickle Morty!

United States
    We need native res widescreen 3DS and Switch ports stat. (Among others. It's a massive leak.)

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee likes this.
  2. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert

United States
    No we don't u "want" it's not a "need"

3. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    sure but it'll be illegal and won't be shared here. (the download for the if someone makes the port)

4. Pickle_Rick

United States
    True. I just wanted to share the news here. But I don't think it'll stop someone from trying. That Super Mario 64 SDL port is still online (and that got ported to Switch). The important thing is to just dead drop it. Don't hype anything.

Last edited by VinsCool, Jul 26, 2020 - Reason: Unneeded quote reply snipped
    Stealphie likes this.
  5. Shadow#1
    This message by Shadow#1 has been removed from public view by VinsCool, Jul 26, 2020, Reason: Unnecessary.
    Jul 26, 2020
  6. Stealphie
    This message by Stealphie has been removed from public view by VinsCool, Jul 26, 2020, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Jul 26, 2020
  7. IC_

IC_ GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    The super mario 64 port is not taken down because it is made from a legal decompilation, not a source code leak

Last edited by VinsCool, Jul 26, 2020 - Reason: Removed snipped content
    fmkid likes this.
  8. Pickle_Rick

United States
    It got distributed as a pre-compiled binary (by 3rd parties/these are still available) and their GitHub got DMCA'd by Nintendo (it's back up now though).

Last edited by Pickle_Rick, Jul 26, 2020
  9. wartutor

wartutor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So i watched that whole video twice thinking i missed something but apparently your thread title is just click bait. Yeah it was leaked but the video posted talks about it exactly 0% maybe post something relative to your actual thread title.

As for the leaks they are gold and hope they keep coming.

Last edited by wartutor, Jul 26, 2020
  10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    DS source code does not make for a quick and easy port job, or even compilation to run on a DS. If you want widescreen get a better emulator and set the camera to match it via a conventional hack.

The DS SDK is pretty locked down, especially the later versions, and most code we have seen in the past (with every reason to think it continued here) has been similarly less than great for porting efforts (premade headers, few custom tweaks to compilers, assets tending to be created via custom plugins to DS era specific versions of professional grade tools and so on). Great for hackers and those looking to get a final word on how a mechanic works for the likes of https://www.dragonflycave.com/mechanics/gen-i-capturing but porting efforts will have to be after this (or more the mainstream ROM) is fully reverse engineered which will likely be a while.

"legal decompilation" is not a thing. It is not as bad as a source code leak but still pretty far from legitimate free to use code.

fmkid, Stealphie, IC_ and 1 other person like this.
  11. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Holy shit, I knew abut this leak already but after your widescreen post i realize we will finally get to play these games in 60FPS!

Pickle_Rick likes this.
  12. Pickle_Rick

United States
    What do you mean click bait? The video is only linked because he lists all the games that leaked online. Which includes D&P.

Yeah I figured it wouldn't be easy. But once someone makes an SDL (or something) port and replaces all the platform specific code it opens the floodgates for it to be easy ported to every other device.

Didn't even think about removing the FPS cap but you're right.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also @VinsCool, if you're going to delete all of our replies you could at least delete the original inflammatory post as well. Why does he get to be an ass and we can't even tell him to f*** off?

13. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Canada
    My ideas:
    • Locked 60 frames per second
    • Higher internal resolution
    • Anti aliasing on PC for sure, on a per-case basis for other platforms (depends on whether 60 FPS can be maintained or not)
    • Optional extra: Autostereoscopic 3D support for a Nintendo 3DS port (if possible to do while maintaining 60 FPS on "New" 3DS). Make every 3d model in the game Autosteroscopic 3D (anything that is not a 2d sprite). Optionally on top of that, make in-battle 2d Pokémon sprites display in Autosteroscopic 3D.... for example the opponent's Pokémon will be visibly at a distance but your own Pokémon "pop" up somewhat and are visibly closer, and also every move and spell and item used etc. their effects on the screen are shown in Autosteroscopic 3D space.
    — Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The most important thing:

• Proper optimization. This should run well locked 60 FPS on "potato" PCs when playing it at even double the original internal resolution

Last edited by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee, Jul 26, 2020
    Pickle_Rick likes this.
  14. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    I don't think someone would even try to get sued by Nintendo on using their copyright just to suffice the wishes of kiddies for a native port of Pokemon on <name your system here>.

Something that should be understood in the most clear possible way, is that the decompilation of Super Mario 64 has nothing to do with any of those leaks and as such, it is legal as of the copyright fair use principle (see: 17 U.S.C. § 1201 (2017) – Circumvention of Copyright Protection Systems - § 1201(f)(2)). .

Memoir and IC_ like this.
  15. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee
    This message by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee has been removed from public view by VinsCool, Jul 26, 2020, Reason: Not an imageboard.
    Jul 26, 2020
  16. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee
    This message by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee has been removed from public view by Chary, Jul 26, 2020.
    Jul 26, 2020
  17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Platform specific code is the tip of the iceberg in this case, even if you are going to kick it all to the PC and allow the PC's immense power difference to make up for any platform optimisation differences and quirks.

I would more likely take the approach of reverse engineering a design document from the code (think the capture maths above but also every other battle mechanic, walking, possibly logic handing, minigame and the like) and implementing that in something new. Maybe you could get a bit of copy and paste action going on and some things in the prebaked stuff you can get from context in the code. You would also have the design from scratch or implement a means to pull existing assets problem to consider in this.

18. Gon Freecss

Gon Freecss Privacy Advocate

Venezuela
    Now you guys can build your own D&P remake lol

19. lilbud

lilbud Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I'm honestly surprised that this hasn't happened yet. Fans have been clamoring for gen 4 remakes since at least OR/AS, I'm surprised that no one has made the attempt

20. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Canada
    cool real cool avatar yours

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Pokemon, Diamond, entire