Hacking So much pain!

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
Because with a little bit of reading, time and some help from a community CFW isn't really that hard to setup. You'll feel better after your hard work gets it up and running rather than shelling out money to random Chinese companies.

Piracy arguments are irrelevant as for everyone who does there is someone who doesn't. You can't tar everyone with the same brush, a lot of us just enjoy tinkering with the hardware we own. A big part of the fun is modifying hardware to do things it otherwise is restricted from, and region blocking is a ridiculous wall that Nintendo still cling to whilst MS and Sony have abandoned it.

Last edited by Audioboxer,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can downgrade for free, then you shouldn't pay $70 for a sky3DS. I personally wouldn't do that unless I was desperate...
I am planning on getting a r4i Flashcard for my 3DS soon so I guess that's kinda hypocritical of me lol. But it's only $5 haha
well that completely different. Until someone makes a nds a rom loader homebrew app/cia/3ds vesions, r4 cards are the way to go.

Destron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the thing about making backup copies of games you own...

say it with me... YOU DON'T OWN GAMES.

When you purchase a game disc you are paying a license fee to use that game but you do not own it.

You are not in any way shape or form legally allowed to make backup copies of games for ANY reason, even for your own personal backup, because the game is not yours. If you have ever read the EULA the you would know this.

The "fact" that you are legally allowed to make backup copies is a myth and freely propagated because it gives people justification to themselves when doing it. Back in the day of floppy disks is was common for software companies to grant you the right to a backup in the EULA because magnetic media is volatile and can be easily damaged. However this is no longer a necessity.

Here is an exact excerpt from a typical EULA for a PS4 game:
SCEA grants you the non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable, limited right and license to use one copy of this product solely and exclusively for your personal use. All rights not specifically granted under this agreement are reserved by SCEA. This product is licensed not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in this product and should not be construed as a sale of any rights to this product.

You may not (1) copy the product in part or entirety on to a hard drive or other storage device; (2) distribute,rent,lease or sub-license all or any portion of the product; (3) modify or prepare derivative works of the product; (4) transmit the product over a network by electronic means; .....

I don't care what anyone does, if your a pirate i don't care and don't hold that against anyone. I would be lying if I said I never downloaded something I didn't own. I don't do it now, but I have in the past.

I do copy games I own to a HDD or my 3DS and that is also considered illegal.

Would a company every litigate this? No because is stupid and a waste of time, so its not like anything bad would ever come from making backups, but despite the myth it is not legal.

If you let a friend copy a game, that is piracy. If you let them borrow a game that is entirely different.

And redbox in no way factors in to this equation because the license the game for rental, this works one of two ways A. The game costs them a ton of money, which they pay because they know they can re-coupe the cost in rental fees or B a portion of every rental is paid to the publisher. Different companies have different agreements, but Redbox does not get to buy a copy of a game for $60 and rent it out indefinitely and make pure profit. A rental license is not cheap. You are paying a fee to use that game for X amount of days.

I am not a lawyer, but I did take 2 years of law school. This is a VERY popular subject.

Last edited by Destron,
Reactions: Xanthe

Stardotstar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you can downgrade for free, then you shouldn't pay $70 for a sky3DS. I personally wouldn't do that unless I was desperate...
I am planning on getting a r4i Flashcard for my 3DS soon so I guess that's kinda hypocritical of me lol. But it's only $5 haha

Ok but you do realise that the old "R4" cards only run old 2D games on the 3DS don't you?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

When you purchase a game disc you are paying a license fee to use that game but you do not own it.

You are not in any way shape or form legally allowed to make backup copies of games for ANY reason, even for your own personal backup, because the game is not yours. If you have ever read the EULA the you would know this.

The "fact" that you are legally allowed to make backup copies is a myth and freely propagated because it gives people justification to themselves when doing it. Back in the day of floppy disks is was common for software companies to grant you the right to a backup in the EULA because magnetic media is volatile and can be easily damaged. However this is no longer a necessity.

SCEA grants you the non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable, limited right and license to use one copy of this product solely and exclusively for your personal use. All rights not specifically granted under this agreement are reserved by SCEA. This product is licensed not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in this product and should not be construed as a sale of any rights to this product.

You may not (1) copy the product in part or entirety on to a hard drive or other storage device; (2) distribute,rent,lease or sub-license all or any portion of the product; (3) modify or prepare derivative works of the product; (4) transmit the product over a network by electronic means; .....

I don't care what anyone does, if your a pirate i don't care and don't hold that against anyone. I would be lying if I said I never downloaded something I didn't own. I don't do it now, but I have in the past.

Would a company every litigate this? No because is stupid and a waste of time, so its not like anything bad would ever come from making backups, but despite the myth it is not legal.

If you let a friend copy a game, that is piracy. If you let them borrow a game that is entirely different.

And redbox in no way factors in to this equation because the license the game for rental, this works one of two ways A. The game costs them a ton of money, which they pay because they know they can re-coupe the cost in rental fees or B a portion of every rental is paid to the publisher. Different companies have different agreements, but Redbox does not get to buy a copy of a game for $60 and rent it out indefinitely and make pure profit. A rental license is not cheap. You are paying a fee to use that game for X amount of days.

I am not a lawyer, but I did take 2 years of law school. This is a VERY popular subject.

Not sure why you've posted this Destron, you may not be a lawyer but you sure sound like one! Perhaps you enjoy reading EULAs? Anyway, people who agree with you or are in any way interested in all the legal stuff do not tend to frequent GBAtemp, you'll find them in a retail store asking their 5 year old kids to explain it all to them.

Osga21

Full Time Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Because paying for piracy makes illegal stuff even more illegal. Because CFW is free and also because you'll only brick your console if you don't read the guide or don't pay attention. As long as you use the right version for your console it won't brick.

BasedIndex

splendid
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Russia
Maybe I'm missing something here? It's happened before.......

I read lots of post from people who have downgraded, upgraded, bricked their DS, didn't make NAND backups etc etc. People who are at their wits end and desperate for solutions (been there myself many times). It's almost like a badge of honour that after tens of hours panic people have been able to run X game.
So here's my point, why not just spend £60 (approx) and get a Sky3DS+ card? Plays all in - region games, does not matter which firmware version the DS is running so no problems running new games that need V9.xx etc. and it's updatable. It's just easy and stress free. Painless.:D
What do you mean? It's simple as that! Downgrade using the RIGHT files. Backup sysnand, unlink NANDs. And that's it, never touched sysnand since then.
Cheers.

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a sky3ds+ and CFW on all of my 3dses and honestly I love each the same. Sky3ds+ is easy as hell to use and setting up CFW is a pain sometimes but when you get it set up, it's perfect.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, now that the argument on game sharing being piracy was thrown out, what does everyone think of backing up a cartridge and installing it as a CIA on your own console?
. . . just because the arugement was droped by those two does not make it legal . . . . besides the (still illegal) backups themselves there is the fact that you had to circumvent the ap in the console in order to install the game making use of said .cia backup illegal in its itself (because like the game you dont on the media (in this case fw it is still Nintendo's property) included in the system you only own the console itself
Well thanks for your reply, not sure if I understand it though! You say IF you can get CFW - exactly my point "IF", how many people end up attempting downgrade pain for this? Also, if CFW is "harder" how can it also be "more convenient"? But like you say "you make a good argument" so cheers!
getting the downgrade to work is easy and a few weeks ago it was possible to attempt to downgrade countless times now the window is nearly closed and people are trying to squeeze there 10.3 consoles through the crack (btw its not that hard i downgraded 3 console just make sure you have the correct files and most importantly . . . read) . . . or the best advice just sell it and get an exploitable o3ds

as for how it can be "harder" and "more convenient"
the setup is more complex but what you get out of cfw is far greater than anything sky3ds can give you
sky3ds only mimics retail games so no eshop games (3dsware/dsiware/. . . gb(c)/gba/sega/nes vc titles) not to mention the 3ds's folders a are way more convenient place to select your game from than sky3ds's button(s)
also the cfw 3ds can use cheats (if you like that sort of thing) while the sky user can only edit gamesaves
and also preserving your 3ds in an exploitable state brings a slightly higher resale value to your console not to mention (presumed) compatibility with newly discovered/released hacks

. . . long story short an exploited (cfw) 3ds is way better than an fully updated 3ds with a sky3ds

oh my god . . . someone who can read . . . on gbatemp (a rare breed indeed) you sir . . . will be considered a genius here . . . (also you saved me a lot of typing . . . thanks B-))
@AllTheRestOfYouTempersWhoDontReadAnythingAndWantEverything shame on you

Last edited by wormdood,

kurodax

Trophies
XP
Country
i'm just sitting here with my N3ds with emunand 10.5 and sky3ds+ and watching...
oh, and 1 of my friends who work as a "3ds sysnand downgrader" just got the first hard brick N3ds even he already dg like dozen of those before. There's always a very small percentage of bricking your 3ds, nothing is perfect when come to touching your 3ds "inside data".

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok but you do realise that the old "R4" cards only run old 2D games on the 3DS don't you?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not sure why you've posted this Destron, you may not be a lawyer but you sure sound like one! Perhaps you enjoy reading EULAs? Anyway, people who agree with you or are in any way interested in all the legal stuff do not tend to frequent GBAtemp, you'll find them in a retail store asking their 5 year old kids to explain it all to them.
Yes I'm aware! I wouldn't get one if I wasn't aware of what I'm buying. You do realize I said I get my friends CIA games, correct? I can get 3DS games when I want. I want DS games.

Last edited by Xanthe,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Pink iMac G3 style case running Windows 98. :)