Question So many "Packs" out there. Why?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by n0v317y, Sep 6, 2018.

1. n0v317y
    OP

n0v317y Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2018
    Ukraine
    Here's list of what I know right now.
    Darth Meteos' SD Stash from his thread
    sdfiles from reinx discord
    sdfiles from tomger's github
    RajNX from raj's website

What is the feature difference between them?
    Which file should I use?

I'm just confusing which file should I download. so leaving question not to blame someone.

NoNAND likes this.
  2. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    i don't even understand how any of it works.

3. Akira

Akira I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!

Apr 28, 2013
    United States
    You can use any of them. They are all basically giving you almost the same functionality, which i know, for the most part, play *cough* back up games *cough*

4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Just makes it easier for noobs to get started, setting up the SD card for homebrew.

5. n0v317y
    OP

n0v317y Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2018
    Ukraine
    Isn't it enough with one pack?
    If they give almost same functions..

Last edited by n0v317y, Sep 6, 2018
  6. Konmon2

Konmon2 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2007
    United States
    Remember its still really early in the switches life cycle. And because the switch is so easy to hack, lots of different devs are working on different projects. Over time these will combine or better versions by different devs will show up. I expect it will still be a couple years before we have a feature complete firmware that does everything. And it might be something we haven't even heard about yet.

7. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    it would be, but these are not groups working together.
    they're different guys focusing on different things with the currently limited means hekate and parts of atmosphere grant.

as time goes on, and more options in cfw become available, these files might start to show more differences from the current nuanced stuff.

overall, you can really just take any or even mix and match if you really wanted to

8. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Remember how many CFW options we had for the 3DS when that scene was exploding? Well now we only have Luma, and maybe one or two others still being *actively* supported. Over time, devs come and go, and we have less and less competition over CFW, and those that remain become more refined, and learn to easily counter Nintendo's cat-and-mouse patching. Though if you've seen Big Hero 6, it's more like Nintendo popping a hole in Baymax, and CFW teams simply put tape over it like it's no big thang.

9. jimmyj

jimmyj Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj

May 26, 2017
    Italy
    Hyrule
    No,the 3ds devs didn't just "go" various cfws like mizuki were bashed until the thread and the rep was removed. why? well because they thought it was useless and it only removed features from ReiNand and added some from AuReiNand(Luma3ds today). so basically it was like why not use just AuReiNand and then yifanlu showed up and it was the final nail in the coffin and basically a few days after that mizuki was removed. Albeit still in private development but as you can see they didn't just come and go. But I could add mine to the mix sometime ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

10. The0919

The0919 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    Behind you
    Use TomGer's SD Files. There really are no differences between most of them, but this packs the most features, such as a homebrew SD files updater, sigpatches, modified creport, and lots of finished features from the upcoming Atmosphere CFW.

iriez likes this.
  11. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    Yes one example is clearly representative of how it went for all of them.

12. jimmyj

jimmyj Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj

May 26, 2017
    Italy
    Hyrule
    they left because they weren't wanted

13. dude1

dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2006
    Canada
    like most things in life XKCD can answer this...
    [​IMG]

shchmue, Brawl345 and Mazamin like this.
  14. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    ReiNX does actually come with all the necessary files, the packs are arguably more necessary for hekate.

It is all needlessly complicated, especially when the ‘packs’ come with so much unnecessary software. Ironic given that these packs were supposed to mitigate the confusion.